Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:42:11 PM

Author Topic: suitability of notebook  (Read 17564 times)

Hood

Re: suitability of notebook
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2007, 04:36:18 PM »
512 is more than enough, my mill has that and it doesnt have a problem, I have also run on 256 without a problem. Where you may see a difference between Mach2 and 3 is the graphics, if you have a card with little memory on it your refresh of screens etc will be slower, not really a problem but annoying if you are used to seeing it faster ;)
Hood

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2007, 04:37:23 PM »
I hate to even mention this on the forum because it is not recommended. Mine ran fine with just 256 of RAM. See screen shot.

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Offline Gandalf

•  24 24
  • Leg of Iron, eye of bronze
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2007, 04:59:45 PM »
Not having actually run Mach 2 on a machine I would not be aware of any differences. So now I have been convinced that trying Mach 3 is the best way to go which version should I try?
John

Hood

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2007, 05:08:36 PM »
1.84 uses uses the older style screen graphics so would probably be easier on your graphics card but the latest revision would probably be the most sorted.
 WHat graphics memory do you have and is it shared?
Hood

Hood

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2007, 05:11:20 PM »
BTW just download and install, it doesnt cost you anything to try it out. You can even install Mach2 as well, just cant run Mach2 and 3 at the same time. Have a look at the tutorial videos as well, they help a lot when you are new to Mach and although they are referring to Mach3 they will also give you pointers if you want to set up Mach2 as well.
 Hood
« Last Edit: April 02, 2007, 06:05:41 PM by Hood »

Offline Gandalf

•  24 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2007, 05:54:59 PM »
Shared graphics 16,32, 64 MB at present set to 32 MB. At thge moment I have tried Mach 2 on a desktop and which I have just played around with trying to get a toolpath traced out on the screen but no more than that so it is all a new world as far as I'm concerned, whether the aged brain cells will ever get it all sorted out remains to be seen.
John

Hood

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2007, 06:03:27 PM »
Shared is not the best but at 64 Meg you shouldnt have refresh  issues even with the latest screensets but with 32 you might, however with the screensets in 1.84 I think they will work fine. But as I said refresh is only really a visual problem
 Dont worry about the brain cells being aged, Bretts pretty competent with Mach and although he is not that old his brain cells are that of a redneck, both of them :D
Hood
« Last Edit: April 02, 2007, 06:24:47 PM by Hood »

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2007, 09:44:22 PM »
   Aint that the truth Hood. I would have to agree. If a young stud red neck with two brain cells and an old (I mean older than dirt) Red Neck Dundonian with only one brain cell (which he keeps in his pocket most of the time) can get their machines running with Mach I'm sure you can. If not, I will belly up with all two of my brain cells and help all I can. Knowing Hood, if his one cell isn't busy with a monumental task like what to call me next, or admiring pocket lint, I'd bet he'll help too. :D

If for some reason we can't get you fixed up, I bet some of the sharp guys can. We will definatley have fun trying though. ;D

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Hood

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2007, 02:01:12 AM »
:D

Offline Gandalf

•  24 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2007, 02:42:03 AM »
Morning Brett,
If there are no 'Honey dos...........' today I might get down to our little log cabin at the bottom of our garden which is at rresent where I keep my toy router however if I am understanding the expression 'Belly up' correctly there are a few things to be done first. I need to brew some more real English Bitter Beer and polish up the prized Beer Engines as the brass is in need of a shine, once back in operation a tankard or two of real English Ale certainly obstructs concentration.
First then I need to install Mach 3 (locked down version?) and work out the pin numbers for the connections. At the moment there are 3 separate bipolar stepper cards with isolated inputs with a space for a 4th which at present is sitting on the bar having been used with a simple pulse generator for motor testing but all the connections are ready inside the box for it to be fitted in place. I may have to change the socket on the front as the Crentronics type came from an old PC and since it is from a board the connections are not as good as solder buckets and sometimes have been known to drop off so perhaps I should change to a DB 25 but that would mean buying a 25 way serial cable, and so it goes on.
Now I have to go and soak my freshly made cheese in brine and then I can get back to some serious pin comparing.
Thanks for all the help you are all giving me.
John.