Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 05:54:44 AM

Author Topic: suitability of notebook  (Read 17569 times)

Offline Gandalf

•  24 24
  • Leg of Iron, eye of bronze
    • View Profile
suitability of notebook
« on: March 29, 2007, 06:55:37 PM »
Having just joined the forum I have been reading through an assortment of postings on varied subjects and am starting to wonder if my notebook will be OK to run Mach2.
Basic spec from the system display is as follows.
Via Nehemiah 1.2 GHz processor
512 MB ram
intergrated graphics Via/S3G 32 MB
Win XP sp2
There is a normal assortment of domestic software installed including Norton anti this , that and the other security stuff.
Having been reading about problems with mostly Mach3 can anyone give me any guidance as to what sort of problems I might come across if I attempt to use it to control a small tabletop router.
The main reason for purchasing this machine some 6 months ago was because it has a parallel port built in plus being the end of range was at a suitable price to match my pocket  so any help will be greatlfully received and read very carefully.
John

Hood

Re: suitability of notebook
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2007, 07:19:51 PM »
Download and install Mach then restart (needs to be done the first time you install Mach) Then go to the Mach folder,( C:\Mach3 , if you installed in the default location) Then look for the DriverTest.exe and double click on it, it will start a test and if the line in the test  looks smooth Mach should run fine on your computer .
Hood

Offline Gandalf

•  24 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2007, 07:45:19 PM »
I am amazed at how quickly I get a response to a query so many thanks. I see you mention Mach3, does the same apply to Maxh2?
John

Hood

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2007, 07:46:50 PM »
Dont use Mach2, its good but Mach3 is better in every respect.
Hood
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2007, 09:09:18 AM »
Download and install Mach then restart (needs to be done the first time you install Mach) Then go to the Mach folder,( C:\Mach3 , if you installed in the default location) Then look for the DriverTest.exe and double click on it, it will start a test and if the line in the test  looks smooth Mach should run fine on your computer .
Hood

The driver test may not always be a good indicator of your success. I have laptop that passes the driver test with flying colors. It runs Mach3 well for the most part but not 100%. It stalls out at times and I have never found the cause. Your best indicator is to run several test projects and see how it works for you.
 (please do not reply with help on this, been there done that I give up)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2007, 09:11:11 AM by B. Ender »
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2007, 11:35:42 AM »
Look at the download site.
There is a file to optimise your pc/notebook for mach3.
I had problems with my notebook in combination with mach 3.
Search the forum for "motors chatter".
There is some information about my problems with notebook and mach3.
The major thing I changed is to set the computer to Standard PC NOT ACPI PC.
The problem with notebooks is that the voltageof the processor is controlled for optimized battery life.
Geo Hagen

Offline Gandalf

•  24 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2007, 02:44:45 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions but most seem to refer to Mach 3 whereas I am going to start with Mach 2 or if I could find it perhaps Mach 1 using the idea that earlier versions will not have so many functions that I will never need so why install them. I am not really interested in being able to produce complex items as mostly they will be simple bits fretted out of thin plywood or soft metal and consist of straight lines joined with the occassional curve so it may yet prove to be that any of the Mach series is far too comprehensive for my needs but as it has the good reputation it seems a good place to start from.
Anyway thanks for all the help and advice.
John

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2007, 02:58:38 PM »
John, I would go ahead and start with Mach3. Even if you don't need all it has to offer. I understand it is better all around.

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Hood

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2007, 04:10:15 PM »
They should work on Mach2 as well but as Brett has said Mach3 does things better and you just need to use the bits you need and ignore the bits you dont. Also dont think Mach3 is more complicated to set up than Mach2, I would say it is actually the other way round if anything.
Hood

Offline Gandalf

•  24 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2007, 04:31:04 PM »
Can anyone give me an idea as to how much space these programs take up or need to run as memory is a bit restricted to 512MB with no further room for expansion. I think my basic reasoning was that the earlier versions would use less resources and be more suitable for my needs.
John