Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:29:23 PM

Author Topic: Pokeys56 and Smoothstepper (ethernet)  (Read 16663 times)

Offline tantan

•  130 130
    • View Profile
Pokeys56 and Smoothstepper (ethernet)
« on: March 01, 2014, 05:08:04 AM »
i use the pokeys56 usb and smoothstepper ESS on a windows xp computer with latest mach and plugins. if i run gcode i get the following errors

Offline NeoTO

•  504 504
    • View Profile
    • PoLabs
Re: Pokeys56 and Smoothstepper (ethernet)
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 12:03:33 AM »
How is PoKeys device configured? Is this with an empty configuration?
www.poscope.com home of PoKeys USB HID, IO, USB, Ethernet controler and PoScope USB PC oscilloscope

Offline tantan

•  130 130
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 02:26:28 AM »
hi. no it is configured with 3 encoders, 1 for axis move, 2 for speed and feed override, and a few buttons.

Offline NeoTO

•  504 504
    • View Profile
    • PoLabs
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 12:18:47 AM »
Then, I would suspect that PoKeys and Smoothstepper are trying to get handle of the same registers/DROs and Smoothstepper fails with the error you see above.
When does this error happen? Did you try disabling the mappings of PoKeys to see which one is causing the error at the Smoothstepper's end? Where did you map the encoders to?
www.poscope.com home of PoKeys USB HID, IO, USB, Ethernet controler and PoScope USB PC oscilloscope

Offline tantan

•  130 130
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2014, 10:58:24 AM »
hi, i did the check with a pokeys connected to the system (and recognised in mach3) but with no configuration of I/O. then it runs fine with the smoothstepper. what is the best way arround to configure the io?

tnx tantan

Offline NeoTO

•  504 504
    • View Profile
    • PoLabs
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2014, 06:15:01 AM »
Try adding the IOs one by one and check if smoothstepper still operates well. As we have no insight on which signals Smoothstepper uses, I can not advise you on specific signals to pay attention to.

Offline tantan

•  130 130
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2014, 02:37:53 PM »
hi,

i found out what the problem was: it is an old issue: the speed override function. as mentioned before this is not working as it should be. it produces glitches so the spindle speed is shortly set to max and back. and it produces the error with the ethernet smootstepper. i think if you find the problem for the glitches you solve the stability problem too.

tnx tantan (antoine)

Offline tantan

•  130 130
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2014, 08:49:20 AM »
i did a few more tests. it is definatly the SRO function wich causes all the trouble. i did also test it with an other pokeys56 wich i cleared and only configured the SRO: wrong again. so if you could solve this it would be great!.

tnx TanTan/Antoine

Offline NeoTO

•  504 504
    • View Profile
    • PoLabs
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2014, 12:03:52 PM »
Unfortunately, if the Smooth stepper crashes when PoKeys adjusts the SRO, then there must be something wrong on the Smooth stepper side. We can't do much other than disabling the SRO feature (or you not configuring/using it).
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2014, 07:56:09 AM »
Hi tantan and NeoTo,

may it be possible that the input for SRO is to sensitive and filtering this certain input may help?

I'm experiencing absolutely the same effect with my USB Smoothstepper in conjunction with my Pokeys56U used as pendant.
This happens only if the spindle is running. If I run a job with spindle off I have no issues. Every attempt to supress susceptiblilty of radiation
by the usage of ferrites around the USB cable was of no avail.
If there is a chance of filtering only this input by a RC-filter I will give it a try this evening.

Wolfgang