Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 10:43:01 AM

Author Topic: Best simple CAD/CAM software  (Read 12795 times)

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
Re: Best simple CAD/CAM software
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2013, 06:10:16 AM »
Jim, glad to know you are making progress with CamBam. Once you get the idea of the workflow, going from drawing to creating toolpaths to GCode it gets easier. When you click the exit Gcode button in Mach3 it will pull up what ever GCode you have loaded in Mach3 in Notepad. If you don't have the GCode loaded in Mach then it won't bring anything up. You could also load CamBqm on your shop PC as well, just don't try to use CamBam while Mach moving your machine. One other tip is to copy the files from you pen drive to your shop computer, don't run them off the then pen drive; strange things can happen if you do.
Happy machining , Jeff Birt

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2013, 08:29:21 AM »
Jim, in Mach3. go to Config > General Config.
At the top of the page, under "Editor", make sure it says "\Windows\Notepad.exe". If it doesn't, use the Browse button to find the location of Notepad on your PC.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2013, 10:12:37 AM »
When you click the exit Gcode button
he means "EDIT Gcode" button.
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2013, 06:34:09 PM »
Jim,
Install CamBam on the CNC machine too.  You really want to be able to jump back and forth into CamBam and Mach 3.  When you measure a part and it is a little off you are going to want to revise the toolpath or change the tool diameter to correct it.  You'll run a part and then realize there is a much better way to  organize the operations and you'll want to quickly jump into CamBam make the changes and repost.  I find myself doing this a LOT!
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2013, 01:49:37 AM »
Thanks everyone for the advice, learning fast and thinking of getting the cut viewer as a collision checker. Gary your right it needs to be near the machine, but its cold down the shed (workshop) this time of the year. I found a couple of errors when practicing constructing parts in the living room which I corrected in CamBam. Hold on there's a space in the living room by the TV I could fit my machine. Just got to get the OK of the wife!!!!
Once again thanks for all the advice.
Jim

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2013, 02:02:16 AM »
Hold on there's a space in the living room by the TV I could fit my machine. Just got to get the OK of the wife!!!!

;D ;D ;D

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2013, 03:04:34 AM »
Just got to get the OK of the wife!!!!

I think you may have the letters mixed up, Do you not  mean that when you suggest that you will get KO'd from the wife?
:)
Hood