Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 02:21:00 PM

Author Topic: Best simple CAD/CAM software  (Read 12796 times)

Best simple CAD/CAM software
« on: November 14, 2013, 03:28:40 PM »
Christmas is coming and my sons are asking the question, what do you want for Christmas Dad. Well I'm asking the forum what's the best CAD/CAM software to link to Mach for 3D milling on a small Denford Triac CNC milling machine making 5" gauge model steam train parts. Don't want the CAD/CAM to be to complicated as my brain has its limitations. Keep it simple please and don't want to spend a fortune just to be able to do small 3D parts in brass and steel.
Thanks in advance. Jim

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Best simple CAD/CAM software
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 04:38:25 PM »
When you say 3D parts are youreally meaning 3D? If so then prices will not be that low.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 04:51:51 PM »
Hi Hood been a long time since I used CAD CAM software if I remember it was 2 1/2 D Denford own CAD is that what I want to do my loco parts?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 05:00:43 PM »
I would think most loco parts will just be cut in X and Y plane at varying depths, things like profiles and pockets etc.Is that the kind of thing?

Hood

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 05:01:15 PM »
Jim take a look at CamBam: http://www.soigeneris.com/cambam-details.aspx (my website).

Even though I have a much more expensive package I find myself using CamBam 99% of the time. It does both 2D and 3D operations. Download it and try it out, the trial period is about 40 uses.
Happy machining , Jeff Birt

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 11:43:13 PM »
I'll second the CamBam suggestion. It also do some 3D work if you have an STL model.
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2013, 10:32:59 AM »
Cheers Jeff, I have just looked at your demo video and the system seems ideal. The only problem is I'm not sure my brain is up to it, I will download the trial and give it a go. Does the full version come on a disk or downloaded off your site, if the latter can I copy it to a disk or pen drive to put down in my workshop as I don't have an internet connection down there. Jim

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2013, 11:54:20 AM »
Cut 2D is the easiest CAM package, but it's a CAM only package.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2013, 02:14:35 PM »
Jim, somewhat like Mach3 the download version is the full version, there is no CD. You can download the file, copy to a thumb drive and install on your other PC. I always suggest starting out with a simple project, like a circular pocket. The CamBam forum is also a great place, a lot of very helpful folks there.
Happy machining , Jeff Birt

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2013, 04:31:13 AM »
Hi Jeff, the CAMBAM system is excellent, just what I want. I sent you a personal message saying I could not get to grips with the system, please disregard it its just when your pushing 70 it take longer to sink in (it took me 10 free usages to get a block to move on all three axis). I have one question you might be able to answer rather than going on the CAMBAM forum. I have managed to produce a simple G-code list and simulated it on Mach on the same computer, however when I go into the Mach edit page it does not show the g-code file. Can this be corrected as I do my designing on a computer in the warmth of my house then save to a pen drive and venture down the shed (workshop) and do the machining using a well worn Dell Insprion basic computer driving my CNC machine.
So if I find an error say need to increase the depth of cut I'm stuck unless I go back up to the house and correct with CAMBAM, there is probably a simple solution to this but cant fathom it out.
PS Next step is to persuade the kids to fund the additional machining simulator