Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 05:20:55 AM

Author Topic: DRO readigs don't match soft limits  (Read 3459 times)

DRO readigs don't match soft limits
« on: August 17, 2013, 07:26:17 AM »
 My table is 120" X 48" . I don't have any limit or homing switches. Mach is set to inches. I set my soft limit on the Y axis to max 48 min -.500 and the X axis to 96" max and - .500 min and each axis crashes before the soft limit is triggered. So I worked on the Y axis first and raised the soft limit to 96" max on a hunch (Guess) and the Y axis worked stopping at 96" on the DRO. The X axis is a whole other story. I have to soft limit down to 5" to get it not to crash, it travels about 67" inches and the soft limit is reached it stops and the DRO reads 5" inches. Can anyone please HELP. Thanks Art

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
Re: DRO readigs don't match soft limits
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 09:02:57 AM »
You MUST home your machine for soft limits to work. You can home manually though, jog each axis to 0,0,0 then zero each axis in machine coordinates. Now turn on soft limits. Soft limits works off of the machine coordinate DROs, i.e. actual machine position. Don't concur this with your local coordinates, i.e. when you zero on the stock.
Happy machining , Jeff Birt

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 09:27:24 PM »
When I zero the Y axis and turn on the soft limits which are set for max 48" which is the actual travel shouldn't the DRO read 48" when the Y axis stops? Thanks Art

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 04:20:02 AM »
I think you may be getting confused between Machine Coords and Offset Coords.
You say you Zero but that is likely you setting Zero in Work Offset Coords, as Ray has said Machine Coords are used for soft limits and thus you need to home the machine.
As Ray also said you can still home the machine even if you do not have home switches set up, you just need to move to a known point that you wish to be machine coords Zero. and then press Ref All. It is best that the position is fully negative in X and Y and fully positive in Z.

Hood
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, 06:29:47 AM »
Then I take that as a no to my question. Art

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2013, 07:30:02 AM »
The machine coords DRO will read 48, the work offset coords (ones you normally see) may be anything, all depends what they are offset from machine coords.
Hood