Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:04:31 AM

Author Topic: Ethernet Smoother Stepper can't get motor movement  (Read 16864 times)

Offline Alax7

•  15 15
    • View Profile
Ethernet Smoother Stepper can't get motor movement
« on: June 05, 2013, 09:13:08 PM »
Hello CNC world. I'm new to CNC and this is my first conversion. I bought a mini x2 and used it as a manual mill until I could save up to convert it to a CNC mill.   Well I have everything installed, wired, downloaded, but I cannot get motor movement. I am guessing my issue is which pins to assign to what. I have been searching for 5 days online and on this forum but I am still stuck. I looked at the mach3 tutorial videos, the first one that reads "installation and basic configuration" and according to this, I just need to go to config>ports and pins> motor outputs.  Then enable my X,Y,Z axis, set STEP pin# to 2,4,6 and DIR pin# 3,5,7 which is how I have them on the BOB. Then go and work on the Estop so mach3 will get out of emergency when I press the RESET button. After this, the video shows going to motor tuning and being able to get movement after moving the vel and acc around and continuing to adjust the vel and acc according to how the motor movement sounds. Does this sound right? Should I be getting movement with these few steps or is there more to it? Jog mode is ON as well which I read was the issue in not getting movement from the arrow keys for some.I have also found docs that show the input and output signals, which I wouldn't know where to start to assign them, but I was thinking that since I'm using an ESS I don't need these or my settings are different since I'm not using the computers PP, which it doesn't have. On mach3, the x and y axis move when I press the arrow keys but the motors don't move.Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
Re: Ethernet Smoother Stepper can't get motor movement
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 09:53:57 PM »
Welcome to the forum Alex,
What operating system are you running?  Have you looked at the Mach3 Mill Install and Config. Guide (not the video but the manual)? It can be found at the top of this page in the support tab, documentation.  

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Offline Alax7

•  15 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 09:59:13 PM »
Sorry, I forgot to add that.

I am running vista 32-bit.

I did check out the manual and it did not help.

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 10:07:46 PM »
What kind of hardware do you have?  motors, power supply, drives, breakout board etc.?  Do you have any wiring diagrams you created? 

Brett

Offline Alax7

•  15 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 10:18:11 PM »
I have this kit and I followed the instruction for mach3 found at the bottom of link with the kit.

http://www.automationtechnologiesinc.com/products-page/stepper-nema23-3-axis-kits/cnc-stepper-motor-3-axis-kit-3

Wired it up like this

http://www.automationtechnologiesinc.com/wp-content/uploads/downloads/2012/08/KL-4030WithC10.pdf

I don't have limit switches wired up or the mater switch. I do have everything else wired up exactly like that, only with x, y, z,  not an A.

Offline Alax7

•  15 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 10:20:04 PM »
I called that company to see if  they could help. He asked if when I turn everything on, do my motor lock up and in fact they do.. After that he asked me mach3 questions and then just told me to watch the tutorial videos which did not help me get motor movement.

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2013, 10:36:51 PM »
If you don't have the master switch wired in do you have a jumper in its place?

Brett

Offline Alax7

•  15 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2013, 11:01:56 PM »
I didn't but I do now, no change. I assumed this was just to interrupt the power not to allow it to turn on, meaning if I didn't have anything on EN it would still work,

Offline Alax7

•  15 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2013, 01:18:05 PM »
50 bucks in your paypal account to whoever can get this working for me, if that's allowed here.

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2013, 01:35:30 PM »
Can you post a copy of your profile here?
Happy machining , Jeff Birt