Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 12:23:32 PM

Author Topic: SERIOUS jog problem!  (Read 17959 times)

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
Re: SERIOUS jog problem!
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2013, 03:08:35 PM »
HIYA GARY Most keyboards have a repeat function if you hold down the key. It would depend on HOW you have the JOG function set in the popout pendant. Cont ? Step? Step Size?

If you were set up for Step jog and your steps size was 1" then when you held down the jog key it could buffer up a LOT of moves and appear the machine is out of control BUT all it is doing is trying to move as commanded.

Hit {ESC} to stop the buffer from running further. It may be best to set your jog to CONT and reduce the feedrate to a slow % until everyone gets used to the movement.

The Machine will ONLY be a safe as the operator's understanding of it's functions.

(;-) TP
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 03:10:52 PM by BR549 »
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2013, 09:08:18 PM »
Hood,
I work with PLCs almost every day and everything is 24vdc.  In fact my machine has a PLC in it, and all my I/O is 24vdc.  The inputs to my current breakout card were done using 24vdc and dropping resistors. That should work with the smooth stepper for the input side.  The steppers drives use 5vdc inputs so that should be okay as well.  So the one problem are is the inputs to my PLC originating from the smooth stepper. However the PLC happens to have an analog input card with 4 channels that can be configured for 0-5v input, so I may just use that for the few inputs I actually need right now. It would be nice though if they designed these cards  to work with standard industrial voltages.

Gary H. Lucas
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2013, 09:09:47 PM »
I have it set for step mode 0.100", with the shift key override putting it in continuous.
The operator here could be 9 years old!  I am not worried about him getting hurt, he's outside the plexiglas doors. I did try another keyboard and it did the same thing.  However the idea that it could be key repeat is into the keyboard buffer is interesting, I'm going to have to test that.  Years ago my wife kept making mistakes typing on a computer that she never made on a typewriter.  We found out that she could type so fast that she would overrun the keyboard buffer and loose characters!  She had to force herself to slow down.  Man, I wish I could type like that!

Gary H. Lucas
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 09:21:37 PM by garyhlucas »

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2013, 12:48:03 AM »
I believe the smooth stepper had the issue you are describing a while back. I believe that one of the past plugin updates fixed the issue. I recently started using the smooth stepper, and also have a runaway problem. The shift (rapid) does not cause the runaway, but rather the control key. Hold the control key down, then hold one of the arrow keys down, release the control key while still holding the arrow key= runaway. I thought that I most likely had configured something incorrectly, and needed to dig a bit in order to find out my mistake. There is no way this bug could have slipped through I thought, because step jogging (ctrl key) is common place. I was talking with Brett the other day and mentioned the problem, and he too, confirmed the behavior on his machine. I have a USB SS and Brett has the ethernet SS, so it appears with both models. Also, using the ESC key for an E-stop does not always work when the runaway occurs. You must mouse over to the RESET on the screen and click it. Try figuring that one out in the heat of battle. My "fight or flight" senses were tweaked! It would be nice if another person could confirm this bug. Hood? Terry? Please and thanks in advance?
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2013, 04:03:15 AM »
Hi Sam,

Same thing happens here with both versions fd and efb of the plugin.

However, I have not determined if this is a USS issue or a Mach3 issue ?? (obviously one or the other is sending out the un-requested series of step pulses).

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2013, 04:15:22 AM »
I dont think I am seeing that here while testing with the SS.
 What I have tried.
Have setting to Continuous mode and step size to 1, 0.1, 0.01 or 0.001. I then press Ctrl key and then hold an arrow key on my keyboard down then release Ctrl key whilst still holding the arrow. When the axis has reached the increment value it stops.
Am I doing it the way you are meaning?
Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2013, 04:28:03 AM »
Ok I have tried all sorts of combinations and can not get that to happen.
I have tried holding Ctrl and then press and hold arrow then release Ctrl whilst arrow is still held, works as expected.
I have tried holding Ctrl then arrow then release arrow and press again then release Ctrl, still fine.
I have tried holding Ctrl then arrow then release Ctrl and press again then release arrow, still fine.
Also tried a few other combinations and all fine.

I have tried 057 and 066 versions of Mach but only have 17d version of SS plugin here so it may an issue with newer plugins or possibly I am not doing the right combination of arrow/ctrl key release?
Hood

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2013, 02:45:18 PM »
Very strange Hood. You did do the combination correctly. I have the 17d version also. I have also tried several versions of Mach, but not the ones you have.
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2013, 03:14:41 PM »
What version are you using and I will test here with it.
Hood

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2013, 03:19:01 PM »
50,56,58, and 62. There was a runaway issue with the shift key that was fixed with an earlier SS update, so I just assume the problem lies with the SS, not Mach.