Hello Guest it is April 16, 2024, 05:23:31 PM

Author Topic: Kitamura T-12 with Galil DMC-1840 and Contec I/O Setup  (Read 28491 times)

Kitamura T-12 with Galil DMC-1840 and Contec I/O Setup
« on: May 19, 2013, 03:01:15 AM »
Hello,

We are trying to setup a Kitamura T-12, that has already been setup using a Galil DMC-1840 pci card and a Contec 16 I/O card. It has the original DC motors and includes the automatic tool changer. The machine was fully functional with the current setup, but was decommissioned. We have since purchased the machine, and are attempting to get it running. Apparently the machine was removed in a running condition, so should be fairly simple to get going again? Everything is still there except the computer, however we have the original cards from it.

We are using a fresh computer to run the machine, running windows XP. We have successfully installed the PCI drivers, DMC Smart term and Mach 3 Trial to get us going.
All of the software recognises the controller fine. We have installed the Contec drivers, but not the Contec Mach plugin?

We have powered the machine up, and we are unsure where to go to from here, as far as moving axis or downloading the data that was burnt to the pci card when it was last running.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Re: Kitamura T-12 with Galil DMC-1840 and Contec I/O Setup
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 11:50:04 PM »
No hints anyone?
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 08:44:48 AM »
Hi Kit,
First off I am not sure if Mach3 will run the Galil plugin without actually owning a valid license.
If you read the Galil plugin manual I believe the first thing is to verify that the Galil is communicating with the smart term software. Then, once you have the axis tuned, which you nay already have since the card has run the system in the past,
Then install the Mach3 Galil and Contec plugins and get them working. If all goes well it should take a day to get it all running.

Just remember that we all have jobs too and may not have the time to answer your questions when you want them answered. I will help as time and knowledge allows.

Mike
We never have the time or money to do it right the first time, but we somehow manage to do it twice and then spend the money to get it right.
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 11:42:54 PM »
Thanks for the reply,

So when the machine was initially set up would the configuration of been burnt to the cards ROM? If so do we need to retrieve it to the computer or can we just start commanding motor movements in smart term now the machine is set up and the card communicates with smart term etc?

Thanks again
Jack
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 12:04:03 AM »
Thanks for the reply,

So when the machine was initially set up would the configuration of been burnt to the cards ROM? If so do we need to retrieve it to the computer or can we just start commanding motor movements in smart term now the machine is set up and the card communicates with smart term etc?

Thanks again
Jack
..Hopefully,
It has been awhile since I used smart term but I believe you can call up what is burn into the card with smart term. If it has been burnt into the card then yes you should be able to command motion via smart term and get  an axis to move.
We never have the time or money to do it right the first time, but we somehow manage to do it twice and then spend the money to get it right.
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 12:11:18 AM »
OK thanks Will give it a go this weekend when i get back to the machine

Jack

Offline smurph

•  1,546 1,546
  • "That there... that's an RV."
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2013, 06:06:52 PM »
Not sure what was running the machine before hand.  Galil + Contec smells like camsoft to me.  I really don't know how camsoft saves the motor tuning values.  With Mach3 and the Galil plugin, we require that the motor tuning is burned on the card.  

So the main thing that needs to be burned into the card is the PID values for each motor.  MG KPA; MG KIA; MG KDA;, etc...  will show you the values.  I think stock is 64, 0, 64 but I'm not real sure.  So if you see something low like that, then you are going to have to tune the motors.

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2013, 06:26:27 PM »
Hello thanks for the tip. I come across a problem on sunday night where the servos aren't getting there constant power as there are 3 contactors which Aren't latching but ran out of time to troubleshoot it further as i can only work on the machine weekends unfortunately. but hopefully i will get the issue sorted today so i can resume testing/programming.

Thanks
Jack
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2013, 05:17:52 AM »
After some further inspection we have determined the following:
 - The reason the contactors on the drive cards aren't latching is they are awaiting a signal from OPTO 22 G4PB32DEC board.
 - We are unsure what controls this board, but it plugs into an auxiliary plug attached to the Galil card.
 - Two of the relays(?) on the OPTO 22 board light up, unsure if this means anything or not. They are in positions 0 and 1.

We are unsure what exactly the function of this board is, and how we can interface with it.

Additionally, we are unsure how the Contec card interfaces with the Galil ICM.

Here's some photos:
This is the Opto 22
http://imageshack.us/a/img442/6793/mg8671.jpg

Here is the ICM
http://imageshack.us/a/img801/1716/mg8672.jpg

And here are the Fanuc A20B-0004-017 Drive cards
http://imageshack.us/a/img401/7030/mg8670.jpg

Thanks again for your help and any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Jack
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2013, 06:03:57 AM »
After some further inspection we have determined the following:
 - The reason the contactors on the drive cards aren't latching is they are awaiting a signal from OPTO 22 G4PB32DEC board.
 - We are unsure what controls this board, but it plugs into an auxiliary plug attached to the Galil card.
 - Two of the relays(?) on the OPTO 22 board light up, unsure if this means anything or not. They are in positions 0 and 1.
  We are unsure what exactly the function of this board is, and how we can interface with it.

The outputs from the OPTO22 board need to be set up to be driven from the Mach3 enable signals so when you take Mach3 out of E-stop the drives get re-enabled.
If the Opto 22 Board is connected to the ICM-1900 it is controlled with Mach3 via the galil plugin. IIRC it is using the extened I/O of the plugin.

Additionally, we are unsure how the Contec card interfaces with the Galil ICM.

The Contec card normally wouldn't interface with the Galil card but would be controlled directly by the software, in this case Mach3 via the Contec plugin.

It sounds like you really need to sit down with the manuals for Mach3, the Galil plugin, the Contec plugin, the Galil board, and the ICM board. I would also consider drawing up a wiring diagram so you know which wire goes where.

Here's some photos:
This is the Opto 22
http://imageshack.us/a/img442/6793/mg8671.jpg

Here is the ICM
http://imageshack.us/a/img801/1716/mg8672.jpg

And here are the Fanuc A20B-0004-017 Drive cards
http://imageshack.us/a/img401/7030/mg8670.jpg

Thanks again for your help and any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Jack

Let me know if I can be of more help.

Mike