Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:01:18 PM

Author Topic: Mach 3, Super PID & Rotozip  (Read 13443 times)

Re: Mach 3, Super PID & Rotozip
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2013, 07:21:23 PM »
Hi Rick,
It may have something to do with how the super PID interacts with Mach3. It could even be a limitation based on your Kernel speed but I am not sure.

Glad to see that you got it  (mostly) sorted.

Mike
We never have the time or money to do it right the first time, but we somehow manage to do it twice and then spend the money to get it right.

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2013, 08:15:59 PM »
Post away Rick!  Just because others aren't posting doesn't mean they aren't looking.

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Offline rwf71

•  126 126
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2013, 08:41:48 PM »
Thanks Brett,
    My funky BOB got helped/improved a bunch thanks to the Scorpion differential output board, ;). Now I think I've found a way to get the pwm signal from Mach 3 through the BOB and still have the remaining 2 relay outs for vacuum , coolant , etc.
          Rick

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2013, 09:06:55 PM »
For a fellow that claims to know little of electronics.......... you have done real good.  :)

Brett

Offline rwf71

•  126 126
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2013, 06:37:32 AM »
Thanks Brett,
    I can assure you it isn't a false claim, but I'm trying to soak up as much as I can. :) Val from Super PID has responded and Roman wants me to check voltage on the pwm output and report back, I will do so as soon as I get the time. They also suggested maybe a Mach 3 setting limiting rpm? They aren't Mach guys so I'm asking here. I'm still using Mach 3 in demo mode because my machine isn't finished yet, does demo limit rpm ?

Rick

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2013, 07:21:13 AM »
Hey Rick,
Cant remember, are you running the parallel port or something else? As Mike said, it could be your Kernel speed. Demo mode does lock this to 25KHz.

Brett 

Offline rwf71

•  126 126
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2013, 07:29:49 AM »
Yes Brett,
    Just one pp in my set-up and 25khz kernel speed.

Rick

Offline rwf71

•  126 126
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2013, 12:30:22 PM »
Ok folks,
    I have some new info to post. When checking voltage as Val & Roman of Super PID asked, here is what I found. When the S-PID is under manual control via the speed pot, (where it works perfect), the voltage is 0 -4.8 vdc. When under Mach 3 control via pwm output the voltage is 0 - 3.7 vdc. Obviously the S-PID isn't the problem, it's Mach 3 or the computer running it.
    I'm thinking the computer. When I was sorting out getting my Panasonic servo drives and Mach 3 to play together I found the direction signal from the computer was this same 0 or 3.7 vdc. But this signal was good enough for the drives after feeding it to the Scorpion differential output board which outputs both 0 and 5 vdc from a separate 5 vdc power supply.
    Before I checked & found direction signal at 3.7 I was told by Hood I should get either 0 or 5 vdc depending on direction command from the computer. As I said, the 3.7 seems to be fine for direction thanks to the Scorpion but it isn't fine for the pwm input to the Super PID.
    Anyone have any ideas or suggestions as to why my computer only puts out 3.7 vdc instead of the expected 5 vdc ? ???

Thanks in advance,  Rick
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2013, 12:36:26 PM »
Many of the newer PPorts are on the 3.3v standard not the 5v as in days gone by.
One of the reasons that we run a BOB is to buffer and isolate the signal. Many also give a full 5.0v on the output.

Mike
We never have the time or money to do it right the first time, but we somehow manage to do it twice and then spend the money to get it right.

Offline rwf71

•  126 126
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2013, 12:58:47 PM »
Hi Mike,
    If my pc is 3.3 on the pp I understand that the output to the S-PID would be low because I'm bypassing the BOB to get it there. But the 3.7 I found on the direction out from BOB was after going through the BOB. So are you thinking my BOB not "boosting" the dir out to 5 vdc is just another sign this BOB is crap?
    The computer I'm using isn't newish by any means. Is there a way to go to "my computer" or something like that in Windos XP and see the pp output voltage?

Thanks for your help.  Rick