Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 06:50:19 AM

Author Topic: My retrofit nightmare  (Read 28445 times)

Offline mvoros

•  141 141
    • View Profile
Re: My retrofit nightmare
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2013, 10:06:58 AM »
Hello Hood,
Now that we talk about e-stops, I should mention that I also bought a MPG2 and a C22 pendant control card from Arturo. I intent to implement it into my system. I didn't mentioned it yet because I want to get the system working first. The pendant has an e-stop button on it, and I want to use it to stop all axis motion in an emergency. The MPG came with wiring instructions, but it is written in Chinese. I'll attempt to translate it later. The e-stop is on the control cabinet on the floor, therefore it is not conveniently located in an emergency situation.
Mike
P.s. I'll connect the pendant control card to the ESS via a ribbon cable form the ESS's 3rd port.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2013, 01:35:35 PM »
Dont know whats up with your voltage is it is as per the drawing you attached initially as there should be 220v over the switches if there is 220 coming in.

Regarding the pendant and the E-Stop then you can probably use that in addition to the other E-Stop, all depends on how it is wired in the pendant but as said you do not really want 220v on an e-stop circuit so I would take that E-Stop out of the mains and connect as mentioned earlier.
Hood

Offline mvoros

•  141 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2013, 06:38:01 PM »
I agree, I'll look for a dual layered e-stop switch. I will check that voltage across the switch again tomorrow. I should be seeing 220.
Mike

Offline mvoros

•  141 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2013, 10:42:18 AM »
Hi Hood,
About the incoming voltage, it is 240 volt, and that is what's on the e-stop too. I was wrong before.
Mike

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2013, 04:59:16 PM »
You may already have the E-Stop switch required, the pic with the switches shows what may be dual pole E-Stop switches but as said without seeing the other side I cant say for sure. Also contact configuration is not known from the pic, one certainly seems to be a Normally Open contact but cant really see the rest.
Hood

Offline mvoros

•  141 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2013, 11:10:28 AM »
Hood,
You have good eyes. The e-stop switch is a dual one, see the attached pictures. What ever way we'll implement it, it's location is no good for me, being one foot off the ground. If I have to, I'll put it on a pole of some kind, so I can hit it quickly. I thought the e-stop on the MPG would be more convenient.
On another note:   About grounding. There is a lot of info on the web about star grounding, but no pictures. So I put a terminal block in and tied all the grounds to it, including the shielding from the limit wires and the spindle motor's shield wire, and the power supply's GND. Did I do that right, or did I create a ground loop? (see picts)
Mike
Ps. On grounding3.jpg I show 2 snap on ferrite noise suppressors. Is it good to have them?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2013, 02:45:23 PM »
Well I would have both E-Stops in the chain assuming you can do that with the pendant one. Some pendants I have seen are totally unsafe with their implementation of E-Stops as they use USB, others have proper dedicated wiring for the E-Stop but even they may not be that safe as they go to a DB25 on a bob which just puts it into Mach as an E-Stop input.

Yes your grounding should be fine, assuming you have an earth from the mains connected there?

Hood

Offline mvoros

•  141 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2013, 03:10:28 PM »
I did bring the earth from the wall to the cabinet, as there was none.
As for the MPG there is a pendant control card that I bought from Arturo. It connects to the ESS via ribbon cable. Arturo said something about connecting the e-stops in series, but I have no idea how. What wire to where? Here is a image of it.
Mike

Offline mvoros

•  141 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2013, 03:50:44 PM »
A magnification of the C22 terminals. The MPG needs 5 volt power, and gets it from the power supply, not the computer.
Mike

Offline rcaffin

•  1,052 1,052
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2013, 05:34:25 PM »
Did I do that right, or did I create a ground loop?
If they all come to one central point withOUT connections at the far ends to make loops, that's good.

On grounding3.jpg I show 2 snap on ferrite noise suppressors. Is it good to have them?
Put ferriter noise suppressors on power leads (eg to DC motors), but NOT on any ground leads. Make the ground leads as short as is reasonably possible, and of heavy wire. If you have 2 wires to a motor, twist them together, ditto even for +5V power to a PCB.

Your wiring does look a bit messy. Try to tidy it up but keep power wires separate from signal wires, in different bundles. No, dressing the power wires together is not just 'pretties', it does help.

Cheers