Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 07:21:02 AM

Author Topic: My retrofit nightmare  (Read 28446 times)

Offline mvoros

•  141 141
    • View Profile
My retrofit nightmare
« on: May 05, 2013, 02:16:08 PM »
Hi,
I'm rebuilding my JCut 6090B Chinese router, because it crashed into every job I started last year.
I was told by Hood that the machine must have noise issues. The limit wires were not shielded, so I changed them to shielded ones, put the water cooled spindle wire into a separate flexible metal conduit, so it can't cross the signal wires (by the way this wire was a shielded one, but they didn't tie it to anything). Moved the home switches from behind the dust covers to outside where I can keep an eye on them (several times they got wiped out). I also cut 5 foot off the motor and other wires and the round flexible tube they were in. Don't know why the made it so long.
Decided to go the Ethernet Smoothstepper way. Did a mountain of research on the subject before ordering everything that is needed from CNC4PC. When I got the ESS card I hooked the 5 volt 3 amp power supply to it, configured the card and my PC's Ethernet port to talk to each other it worked fine to my delight. After mounting the cards into my control box, and wiring up according a diagram I got from Arturo at CNC4PC double and triple checked everything, yesterday I powered up the control no explosion just a faint smell of burning. LED's didn't come on the ESS nor the C41 spindle control card. Only these two cards had the 5 volts hooked up to them. Since I didn't see any damage to them, I took them out to have better look. The ESS is burned at the 5 volt terminal, the C42 card shows burning at the GND terminal.
I can't help wondering about the 5 V power supply's 3 AMP. However this supplies the power to the home switches also, and there was no problem when I configured it to my PC inside the house. So  I think it must have something to do with the ground wires. On the ESS, there is a + and a - terminal to connect the 5 volt into. The C41 card has 5 V and GND terminal. Am I confusing the GND and the neutrals on the power supply? I'm attaching the wiring diagram.
Could one of you guys be my mentor, I really want to make this work. I'll buy another ESS and C41 board.
Mike

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: My retrofit nightmare
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 05:55:46 AM »
The - and Gnd are one in the same, ie 0v of your power supply. Dont see what went wrong unless your 5v supply is unregulated and putting out a lot more than 5v.
Hood

Offline mvoros

•  141 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 06:32:48 AM »
Hi Hood,
I'm glad you answered my distress call. The power supply is  A20 from CNC4PC. I don't know if it is unregulated or not. I did check the voltage before connecting to the boards, it was 5 volt. Attaching the specs for it. Is it possible that I've grounded the system wrong?
I would like to send you a dxf vector file of the wiring diagram, but it is too large a file for this forum. I have some concern about parts of the wiring, and a vector file can be zoomed up for a better look. Could I send it to you by email?
Mike
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 06:45:33 AM by mvoros »

Offline mc

•  382 382
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 07:46:20 AM »
Most of the cnc4pc documents are available online - http://cnc4pc.com/Tech_Docs/JINAN2ESS.pdf

That is a regulated power supply. Are you sure that you never got the + and - wires mixed up?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 10:35:40 AM »
What are your concerns?
Hood

Offline mvoros

•  141 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 11:26:43 AM »
Hood,
I'm sure I did not mix them up. The drawing I posted is the Jinnan2ESS pdf, I modified it to reflect my machine by simple adding the 4th axis and my VFD connections. Mine is different than the one they show. Arturo showed me how to connect the C41 to it.
My concern is why did the boards blow.
Mike

Offline mc

•  382 382
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 11:55:37 AM »
First off, double check that you had the 5V connected up correctly, and the 5V is actually still 5V, as something on the powersupply side is the most likely thing to damage both boards.
There's no point looking at other issues, untill you are 100% confident that you have covered the basics (we all make stupid mistakes!)

Second, are the VFD connections in the diagram, the only connections you've made to the VFD (excluding the main power in/earth), and you've not connected the CN (Common) terminal to gnd at any point?
If you were to connect the Common terminal of most VFDs to ground, you can do a lot of damage, as most drives float this around mains voltage, so it would most likely damage something as soon as power was switched on. If you had done this, and you're power supply is protected by an RCD, the RCD should of tripped.

Other than those issues, I can't see anything else that could damage both boards. The C41 outputs are all opto-isolated (or at least they should be..) so any wiring issues on the output side should limit damage to that board, and any issues with the ESS wiring side is most likely to just damage the ESS itself, as I'd doubt enough current would get back through the ESS circuitry to put any major spike onto the 5V supply to damage the other board.

One other possiblity is something conductive i.e. a bit swarf/filing/stray screw/nut/washer has got on somewhere and shorted something it shouldn't off, but then that shouldn't of killed both boards, unless it caused an issue with the 5V supply.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 11:57:15 AM by mc »

Offline mvoros

•  141 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2013, 03:10:32 PM »
Hood my Friend,
There is no doubt in my mind that I made  a bo-bo, maybe more than one. It is also possible that some swarf shorted something, as I drilled holes in the cabinet, allthough I covered the boards. At this point everything is possible. I'll order those boards, it may take a week or two to get them. Until than I'll check everything thoroughly, and get back to you in a few days.
One more question, are you the same Hood Patrick, that put those how to build a hobby cnc videos on the web?
Mike

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2013, 06:12:53 PM »
LOL well that was mc that replied to you in the last post and no I am Hood, just plain and simple Hood, mostly simple ;D
Hood

Offline mvoros

•  141 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2013, 01:14:46 PM »
Hello Hood,
Today I went out to the shop to recheck my wiring's. You were right, we all do stupid things sometimes. I did a big one, although it was totally unintentional, I know better. For some reason, I switched the positive and negative wires. I assume this why the boards blew, wrong polarity. Am I right?
Mike