Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 06:35:37 AM

Author Topic: Z axis not working appropriately  (Read 15803 times)

Re: Z axis not working appropriately
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2013, 08:26:29 AM »
Yes the system has worked. I did not post website beings i specified that it was not the pro and that only leaves one other option from hobbycnc.

http://www.hobbycnc.com/products/hobbycnc-ez-driver-board-kit/

The system has worked and has been working up until the day before I created this post. This was something that just happened as I stated on the first thread.
I also noticed that the motors are bipolar and the board says unipolar but it never posed any problems in the past. The machine always ran correctly and the motors always worked precisely as they were supposed to. I would create code from bobcad, post it in mach3, cycle start, cut whatever it needed with ZERO problems.
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2013, 08:28:10 AM »
proof the system HAS worked

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2013, 07:26:52 AM »
Hi Jayybone,

I don't doubt you when you say that your system worked well in the past but there is something wrong here.

The HobbyCNC driver board expressly states that it is not suitable for use with Bipolar stepper motors yet you say that you are using it with Bipolar stepper motors. If this is truly the case then, unless you have electrically connected your motor windings into the Unipolar configuration, it is more than likely that your driver board has been damaged and this is the issue which may be causing your current problems.

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2013, 11:04:36 AM »
I expect the issue here (which is why I wanted to confirm that this system has worked in the past) is just confusion by the OP over what constitutes a Bi-Polar motor (WRT steppers). Just for clarity (for the OP):

A Bi-Polar motor has 4 leads.
A Uni-Polar motor has 5 leads.
A 6 lead motor is a motor that is primarily designed to be wired Uni-Polar but that can be wired Bi-Polar.
Finally an 8 wire motor can be wired as either Uni-Polar or Bi-Polar.

I suspect the motors in question here are 8 wire.

From the description of the problem I would guess that the second phase of one driver on the board has gone awol.

IMHO the "bold" issue is just a screen artifact and therefore a red herring.

Ian
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2013, 11:27:59 AM »
Ian suspect you are correct. And yes it is an 8 wire bi stepper wired to 6 wire uni.
I am looking at purchasing a new board now. Grrr. Any suggestions?

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2013, 11:55:11 AM »
This was a kit yes? - why not just replace the chip?
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2013, 12:42:46 PM »
Well I thought about that but off the website they no longer just sell that chip. Does anybody know if you can replace it with any chip? If so where can these be bought? Thank you for the suggestion, perhaps I can do this and save a little money

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2013, 01:36:23 PM »
jaybone - no offence but maybe YOU need to do a little work on this. I did this process and within 3 minutes I'd found a full BOM and suppliers and prices.

WADR we're here to help - not to do it all for you.

Ian
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2013, 05:44:39 PM »
Ian,
I do not see one part of my post that is asking for YOU or ANYONE else to do it for me. I simply asked for suggestions in the  slightest possibility that someone has experienced this and could give their two cents with their experiences and what they may have learned throughout the process.  I would rather ask for suggestions AND do my own research to see if others have other suggestions than what I have found. I set up my machine alone and had one problem turning to this forum for ADVICE AND SUGGESTIONS. If I had someone do it for me, I wouldn't be posting to this thread.
Thanks for your concern, Ian.
:)

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2013, 07:56:29 PM »
Does anybody know if you can replace it with any chip?
The easiest and most full proof way would be to replace the chip with the same or equivilant.
But you should check out the other chip related components.
So search the internet, find the chip and vendor of your choice and then decide if you want to buy and try the replacement.

I set up my machine alone and had one problem turning to this forum for ADVICE AND SUGGESTIONS. If I had someone do it for me, I wouldn't be posting to this thread.

I would suggest that the drive manual be read and advise you to question for understanding before assembly of the controller.

RICH