Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 12:34:02 AM

Author Topic: Z axis not working appropriately  (Read 15741 times)

Z axis not working appropriately
« on: April 30, 2013, 10:14:08 PM »
Hello all,
I am new user of Mach3. So far I have had little problems. I am using it in conjunction with BobCad. I have had time to play with a few codes and I am slowly learning more each day.
Just yesterday as the program was running a code the Z axis unexpectedly lost power but Mach3 kept running the program like everything was working fine. I quickly stopped the program and examined the Z-axis. I could spin the screw which lead me to believe that the stepper motor had completely lost power. I cycled power and restarted mach3, after doing this I tried to spin the screw and i could not, it had power again. I started the program again. It ran okay for awhile and then it happened again. The program continued while the z-axis lost power again. I then shut the system down and swapped the X-axis motor with the Z-axis motor, thinking that the motor had a small short in the connection. After doing this i restarted all programs and mach3 now shows the Z-axis is no longer in bold but X and Y axis are still bold and working properly. The motor has power but the second i try to move it, it loses all power again. I am at a complete loss and do not know what to do for a next attempt to fix it. Please give any insight that you may have. Much appreciated!!!!

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: Z axis not working appropriately
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 08:47:17 AM »
What drives  are you using?
What is you power supply rating and is it adequate for running all the drives at once?

RICH

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 09:35:56 AM »
I will attached pictures.
I am running the power supply the a normal 110v wall outlet.
I have not had any problems like this in the past with the machine so makes me believe that it is getting adequate power.
As you will see from picture "ScreenShot" the Z axis is no longer bold like X,Y, and 4. I noticed this change after I swapped the X motor with the Z motor thinking that it was a potential wiring shortage. (the motor is working perfectly fine in X axis)
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 01:54:03 PM »
cant quite get pictures added...

The board is from HobbyCNC (not the pro)
The Steppers are POWERMAX II
                         model: P21NSXC-LSS-N3-03
                         Is(dc): 1.75 A Bipolar Series
                         Po: 46W
The power supply is part number: S-145-24
                                       input: 100-120VAC 3.2A / 200-240VAC 1.6A (50/60Hz)
                                     output: 24V 6A

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 02:23:06 AM »
mach3 now shows the Z-axis is no longer in bold but X and Y axis are still bold and working properly.

As you will see from picture "ScreenShot" the Z axis is no longer bold like X,Y, and 4.

This sounds pretty serious...

What do you mean the Z axis is no longer in bold? Where? A DRO? a label? a button? On the main screan? in motor tuning? What??? Where???

« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 02:29:32 AM by stirling »
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 08:17:09 AM »
Trying to upload picture
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2013, 08:20:34 AM »
Finally got it!!!!
As you can see, X, Y, and 4 are all bold +0.000 and Z is not +0.000.

This is really starting to frustrate me and I am beginning to think that I am going to have to buy another break out board.
Z axis not working appropriately
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2013, 10:14:24 AM »
That really looks like you just don't have the Z enabled in ports & pins.  But you DO have the A enabled....  Is there a check mark beside it?
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2013, 08:41:39 PM »
I uninstalled and reinstalled Mach3.. Tried it again. Same results. Z has power and second I try to move it it loses power.  I shut down system,  switched Z plug in from board with X and same results only now in the X axis. Basically confirming it's from my break out board.  That's what I am thinking. Any other ideas or suggestions?
If not, any suggestions for a new break out board? I was planning on just getting the same one from hobbycnc but would definitely take some recommendations. Only plan on using 3 axis. Current motors utilize 6 wire plug.

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2013, 06:35:51 AM »
Is this the board "HobbyCNC EZ Driver Board Kit"? <rant>Would be really nice if folks could post links to their kit instead of us having to do the searching and the guessing</rant>

Because if it is... in Reply #3 you said your motors were Bi-Polar Series... whilst the drivers on this board appear to be unipolar.

Has your system EVER worked?