Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:39:49 AM

Author Topic: Getting up and running in Vista  (Read 237623 times)

Re: Getting up and running in Vista
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2009, 04:36:57 PM »
I didn't install it on the PC.

Its a small program why does is need some much of vista ?

Offline Chris.Botha

•  488 488
  • wine me.. dine me.. tram my mill for me...
    • View Profile
    • Digital-Jeweller
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2009, 03:49:31 AM »
at the risk of getting myself scraped over the coals here im going to offer my 0.02c..

i have been through this whole Vista/XP fight about many of my cad programs already, on many different forums..

to me the answer is simple..

Mill = US$9750
CAM = US$2999
Mach = US$199

Profit per job = US$100  (in my case)

Controller PC + XP = US$150

no brainer.. everything works with XP.. why mess with it.. if it wont work with your laptop.. buy a refurbed dell unit off ebay for $150 preloaded with xp and have done with it..

this equipment earns you money, its is dedicated , it does only one job, and as such should have a dedicated pc that belongs to it? if it likes XP give it XP..

just my opinion guys :)
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2009, 08:39:01 PM »
Hi,

I am new to CNC, G code and MACH 3 and I hope I am on the right area of this forum. Please advise if I am not.

I am trying to run a new CNC machine using a new desktop which came with Vista. I was guided to this site to update my Mach 3 to run on Vista but I am getting an unusual problem. In general my motors will run but during longer runs they glitch and get jumpy. You can hear when this happens and it completely ruins the workpiece.

There is a "set steps" feature used to run the tool in the X,Y and Z axis' to check for proper travel length. When I enter a value for the distance that I want the tool to travel the motors jump, chatter and turn in a violent slow way. Its so loud that I have to shut down the program.

I am trying to work with the people at Legacy who sold me the woodworking mill but they are stumped too. Is there anything out there that I can try to solve this problem.

BTW:

1-I have lowered the velocity on all motors with no change (I do not think they are being driven too fast)
2-My driver test will show periodic spikes but not all the time. One test had a very large amount of spikes spaced very close together
3-using the jog/tab keys for movement produces the best motor travel with only a rare stuttering event
4-NEW INFO - I have just lost the ability to move my motors with my arrow keys on my keypad! Even after trying to make them Hotkeys. This is a new glitch.

Any help appreciated. please go easy on me with the lingo. I am new to computers (just a carpenter) and I am trying to learn as I go with this.

Thanks.
-John

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2009, 09:07:22 AM »
It sounds like some other process (running on the PC) is interfering with Mach's driver.

To use Mach's parallel port driver you have have a very plain-jane installation. Turn all all unneeded services. Uninstall programs like QuickTime and ITunes which have nasty little services that run all the time and check for updates. Some ati-virus software will cause problems too. You'll need to do some investigation as to what is running and if it can be turned off (Google is a great help, search by process name.)

The easy way to do it is to use a SmoothStepper: http://soigeneris.com/Warp9.aspx . It is a motion control board that generates all the step/direction pulses in hardware (making it faster and smoother.) I use one all the time with a Vista laptop that has all sorts of stuff on it. It hooks up via a USB port and talks to Mach directly. It has two parallel port equivalent ports on board as well. You do need the LPH26 to DB25 cable to give you the parallel port style connector though.

Shameless plug I know but the SS makes life SO much easier, no more fighting with the LPT.
Happy machining , Jeff Birt

Offline ART

•  1,702 1,702
  • Tough as soggy paper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2009, 09:33:11 AM »
Hi:

Also check that your hardware will accept 3.5 volt outputs.. it maybe you have a 3.5volt printer port.
Secondly, try Sherline Mode in the config, restart after selecting it.. It may be you need wider pulses..

Art
« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2009, 05:09:33 PM »
Thanks Art and Jeff,

I wish I knew about the smooth stepper before I bought my computer. Believe it or not it was a pain to get the PC company to put the old style printer port on back of this PC.

As far as other programs jamming it up I do not think this is the case. I bought this PC to run this machine only and have very little else on it other than Mach. I also shut down any internet connection so I am pretty sure that's not it.

I do not know how to check if my port has a 3.5 volt output or not. Where would that info be?

I checked the Sherline mode in config and restarted but no change. I am in touch now with the company I bought the machine from to get another copy of Mach 3 since I can not find my disk. I am going to reload it get the Vista plug in and start from scratch. Even if that works I will still consider a smooth stepper since it seems from its description to be a better way to drive the motors. What does the board get contained in to protect it?

Please post anymore suggestions. I have nothing but time since I will probably have to wait a while to get my Mach 3 disk copy sent to me. Take care.

-John

PS- What is the best online beginners tutorial for learning Mach 3 and all of its features? I really should be doing that now since I am starting to get heavy into this computer/CNC stuff. It sure was a lot simpler when it was just hammers and chisels! -JD
« Reply #46 on: December 08, 2009, 08:02:11 AM »
Hi,
I have a customer that runs Vista.
We have followed the procedure to run MAch3 on Vista but unfortunately doesn't receive the message "Driver Successfully Initialized".

I have adviced to stop print spooler service (once was working for me) but this didn't help.
I suspect that it's somewhere a service that gets the handle of parallel port and because of that MAch's pulse engine doesn't manage to start.

Any advices ?
I have seen a fellow that said that he has unistalled / disabled unneeded features under Vista. What would be ?

Regards,
Daniel
« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2009, 12:58:24 PM »
Thank you Daniel for your help and interest in my problem.
I after I spoke with you by phone I took out the parallel brakeout board.
Still I didn't get the "Driver Succesfullly Initialized" message but at least now I know that the manufactured hardware I made is not to be blamed.
"Noaptea e un sfetnic bun"

Regards.
Victor
« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2010, 06:37:50 PM »
dose any one ever got a problem running Mach 3 with vista problem such only 3.7 volt fromparallel port to break board unstead of 5 volt?
can something like this will stop mach 3 from running my table i use :6 axies Breakout board, Optically Isolated , E-Stop or Limit Switch can be wired, KL-DB25,
KL- 4030 Micro stepping Driver 40 VDC /3.0A
3 PC NEMA 23 BIPOLAR STEPPER MOTOR 270  oz-in , 1.8 degree, 4 Leads
please help it is almust a week that im tring trouble shooting the problem over the phone with the seller from Kelinging
« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2010, 06:49:28 PM »
It may depend on the breakout board you are using as there are some that are buffered and require another 5v power supply.
The manufacturers of these boards advertise them for this very purpose.
PMDX, CNC4PC to name a couple..
RC