Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 12:30:13 PM

Author Topic: Getting up and running in Vista  (Read 237639 times)

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
Re: Getting up and running in Vista
« Reply #80 on: December 29, 2011, 01:31:54 PM »
The only other solution is to use an external motion controller: http://www.soigeneris.com/Motion_Control_and_I_O_Boards-list.aspx (my website.) Ther are also boards made by other companies: DSPMC, KFlop, etc.
Happy machining , Jeff Birt

« Reply #81 on: December 30, 2011, 12:34:36 PM »
Thanks Jeff

Jack
« Reply #82 on: August 20, 2012, 06:13:51 PM »
Hi guys,
So has this problem for Vista been figured out? Ive been flipping through this thread for a few hours now and  I'm probably a bit late to the party but I'm trying to build my first CNC machine and I've done all the installation for 1.83.027. Did the memory patch, and then ran the Driver test. Rebooted and then ran the test again and it seems to be working but right after the test it says "Mach1 OCX and Driver loader has stopped working" I can get Mach3 to move my motor. When I hit left or right key the coordinates move but nothing with the motor. Ive tested for voltage change on the P port pin 2 and 3 for x axis and its just constant. This is the second, non-dedicated 32 bit vista machine that Ive tried it on and will get a dedicated system for the machine but I want to test it first. Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Offline ART

•  1,702 1,702
  • Tough as soggy paper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 20, 2012, 07:14:08 PM »
Check the diags page, if it shows a pulse frequency of around 25000, and your dro's move when you jog, then its probably just the setting of the port address thats wrong.

Art
« Reply #84 on: August 20, 2012, 07:55:14 PM »
Hi Art thanks for the quick reply. Forgive the ignorance but what is a dro? My pulse jumps aroung but is around 25000 to 32000 most of the time. My port address is set to 378 and I made sure that the printer port is set to that also. I changed the bios to epp for the Printer port. I just cant get my motors to move. I upgraded to that latest version of Mach 3 and no more driver problem but still no movement. I tested Pin 2 on my printer cable while jogging and it is a constant 4.42 v but changes to 4.43 when I change from left to right key and then back when changing again. Im lost. Cant get these damn motors to work.
« Reply #85 on: August 20, 2012, 08:02:39 PM »
Now I think its a connection problem beacause I disconected the printer cable from my breakout board and the motor moves a few steps. I wiggled the connector and it does a series of steps but I cant for the life of me get it to move with the software.

Offline ART

•  1,702 1,702
  • Tough as soggy paper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 20, 2012, 08:39:11 PM »
No..if you remove the cable, then the signal floats and noise can drive the motor. All you proved is the breakout board seems to work. ( seems to..)

Basicallly, you seem to have no output from the printer port. Id double check that 378 thing..it shoudl read 0x378, but only if under the resource tab of your device managers
printer port entry also shows 0x378, otherwise it may be wrong. Your pulse freq is jumping too much but it should work anyway if the printer port is OK.
Measure the port pin with the cable off to see if the voltage changes from roughly 5 volts to zero on the  DIR pin. For example if the DIR pin is
pin 3, then measure from pin3 to pin 25 ( ground) and see if it toggles when you jog one way then the other. You cant measure a step pin, its frequency is
too fast. If the DIR pin is working, then the step pin is likely fine too. If the DIR pin works, then you may just need a wider step pulse , but see if the DIR Pin is OK
forst, its the best way to start.

Art

« Reply #87 on: August 20, 2012, 09:08:23 PM »
I did the test Art and when I jog it to the right I get 4.43 and to the left 0.

Offline ART

•  1,702 1,702
  • Tough as soggy paper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 20, 2012, 09:12:37 PM »
Ahh, then your port is working fine. No sense screwing in that area anymore. On the motor tuning tab, change the Step Width to 10 to see if it has any effect..try jogging and see if it does anything. If not, set it back to 0 because it doesnt appear to be a width issue. Your breakout baord may require an enable signal on a particular pin or something to turn on motor motion,
its likely that some signal is stopping you...like a required charge pump signal or enable. Your breakout baord specs shoudl tell you if anything else is required, but it sounds to me like
its all working fine, just a matter of enabling the breakout baord. The motor moved from noise when you disconnected the cable, so its likely that the port is pulling an enable pin low, where you
need it to be high..

Art
« Reply #89 on: August 20, 2012, 09:18:07 PM »
Step width? is that the same as step pulse? Its says 1-5us? I can hear a highpitch noise coming from the driver that changes pitch when I jog left or right.