Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:47:03 PM

Author Topic: New years resolution  (Read 11619 times)

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
Re: New years resolution
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2013, 01:25:30 PM »
In some parts of  the MANUAL it was wrong from DAY one.

(;-) TP
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2013, 04:39:34 PM »
The main idea about manuals  to to present all the facts.
EXACTLY! Therein lies the issue. If you're reading what you believe are facts in the manual, and then go ask a forum some questions based on (what SHOULD be) facts, and then are told:" that manual hasn't been right for years", it then get's a little frustrating to learn that all you studied won't even apply..... No wonder some are frustrated  ;)
Dave
BINGO Dave ! It's quite dis heartining to search and read all you can, only to eventually yield to posting only to find out that you've wasted hours ... if not more .  Been there and done that several times. One popular response is "What V are you using ... OH, it wont work in that one". I'll admit, I still dig, but not as deeply as I used to.
Thanks Dave, good response.
Russ :)

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2013, 04:47:52 PM »
So the question one may ask...
Just what is incorrect or not current and have that summary posted along with the manual.
Also a link addressing the issue would be helpfull.

Is the above worth the effort?
RICH
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 04:49:51 PM by RICH »

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2013, 05:04:58 PM »
So the question one may ask...
Just what is incorrect or not current and have that summary posted along with the manual.
Also a link addressing the issue would be helpfull.

Is the above worth the effort?
RICH

Good question, Rich, I think the only way to do that now is to start making notes starting now. Unfortunately I'm not sure the effort would be worth it with the new version coming out.

Now a person could have there own manual and make corrections in it (according to their own needs) but that obviously wouldn't be universal for everyone. Not only that, but as that same persons needs change, such as changing versions, their own manual has now become "wrong" and will need updated once again.

It's a nightmare, lol!
Dave
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2013, 05:17:49 PM »
Probably not to you or I BUT for the newbie it could be the difference Between success in getting the machine ONLINE or junking it out.

The Magazine people and OEMs try to make it all out as Plug and Play. AND with some setups and controller it can be BUT with Mach3 it is FAR to Flexable and open to be be so. AND yes that can be a BAD thing

Other controllers have gone to great depth to make sure their manuals are correct and up to date . Where Artsoft and OEMs still depend on the original manual as reference.

So it really depends on the volunteers here and IF they want to put forth the effort to fix it OR just lets it ride.  I hope that the new Mach3V4 will have its OWN website to keep the help needs separated. I can not imagine dumping a new mach3V4 on top of all this (;-)

Next would be the issue of copyrights to the various manuals already in print.  I personnelly do not have any problem with anything I have placed on this site as to being copied or modified. That is the reason I wrote it for others to use.

SOME are not so easy going with that part. They do not want ANYONE to copy anything they posted.

(;-) TP

(;-) TP

« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 05:21:05 PM by BR549 »
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2013, 05:33:06 PM »
All in all though, the current docs are probably 90 ish % right ? ? ?
Might be best to make users aware of this and also encourage to  use the Forum Search (make it more friendly/easy to nav).
Still, seems the majority of posts are pertaining items that are correct in the docs. but display very little effort to seek the solutions before posting.
The bigger and more complex/complete you make a manual, the less it is likely to be used by many. I personally prefer a very large manual with a great index .... but really feel for the cat that writes it. (Thanks Rich for your contributions).
Russ
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2013, 05:36:45 PM »
One fellows signature on another forum I visit says:
"It's only a stupid question if you didn't Google it first".
I'm with Himy on that one with one  partial exception ... a 24Kbs dialup connection.

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2013, 06:50:34 PM »
Thanks to all the document writers of Mach3 over the years, and then ART said (;-)

(;-) TP

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2013, 08:49:37 PM »
There is only one thread that i am aware of for the lathe that users posted what is wrong or should be fixed.
When I worte the LC manual i deliberatly put a page of bugs or known problems list in it so that the user would be aware of them and for that matter i wouldn't forget what they were. Frankly i see nothing wrong with something like that.

Terry "hits the nail on the head", Mach is very configurable. The more complex the system or what a user wants to do the more likely they will run into problems and the problem can be PC, electrical, programming, configuration, a bug .....how do you address it all.....

As far as rights to whatever was written, here is my approx. responses to those that wanted my originals for there owne use and rewrite. "You can have the originals but you they must be used strictly for your owne use and never published. Anything you change or enhance  must be shared with me and the community of users here since that is why it was written in the first place. The only recognized manual will be what is posted here and you must share whatever you have written so the original can be enhanced. If you can't agree to that then you don't get the originals." For the approx 10 times that they have been asked for not one has said yes.  ;)

RICH

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2013, 09:11:18 PM »
BTW,
My New Years resolution is that wealth, happiness, good health, and good pillowing is wished on everyone and not necessarily in that order. All things will only be expressed in terms of good and positive thoughts.

Folks at work keep telling me to go get a check-up!   :)

Told an rather large gal she looked nice....she cursed me!
Gave the bum on the corner a quarter....gave me back a buck and said i needed it more than he!
Gave a freindly smile to the dog on  the street and he bit me!
Wished my boss happiness and was told not to be a smart ask!
Wished my neighbor good health and was he told me he was dying and that my time would come also!
Wished my meighbor good pillowing and she said it will cost more than the 20 spot i have in my wallet!

It's been a rough few days of the new year.............

RICH