Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 06:43:11 PM

Author Topic: New years resolution  (Read 11653 times)

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
Re: New years resolution
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2013, 12:52:30 PM »
I guess I like the old saying " GIVE a man a fish and you have feed him for the day . TEACH a man to fish and he can feed himself for life"

Most times PART of teach is FORCING them to engage their brain.

(;-) TP

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,198 9,198
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2013, 01:16:53 PM »
Even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2013, 01:36:34 PM »
Sometimes, it seems to boil down to just plain laziness.  I'm constantly amazed that people will go to all the trouble to make a post, and ask others to provide information that could be had by a 2-second Google search.  About once a week I see someone make a post like "Where is the website for XYZ?", when simply Googling "XYZ" will bring it up as the very first hit.

Then there are the guys that make a post asking a question, when they've already made up their minds what they're going to do, and seem to be just looking for like-minded souls.  If you point out the flaws in their thinking, or recommend a clearly more "correct", or even simpler/cheaper way of doing it, they throw up a smoke-screen justifying why they're stocking to their clearly flawed approach.

I remember when I first came across this, when I was in high school.  I worked after school at a hardware store, and we'd get people coming in all the time saying basically "I don't know anything about XYZ.  Can you tell me how to do this?".  I'd explain to them the right way to do it, and they'd listen, then say "No, you're wrong.", and walk away!  Of course, as often as not, they'd be back the next week, to ask for help in undoing the mess they'd made by doing it their own way.  Or, they'd blame it on defective parts, despite the obvious evidence the part had been majorly abused in installation....

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2013, 02:29:56 PM »
That is about the same as them asking for advice on BOBs and Drives. You give them you best lecture on quality KNOWING they have already made up their mind on getting the lowest cost chinese stuff on ebay regaurdless of the warnings on if it works or not. Most times they have already ordered it

I don't even go there much anymore as I already know most times it is as Rays says they have already made up their minds and are just looking for like souls. 

(;-) TP

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2013, 02:31:47 PM »
Would be nice though IF all the docs were on ONE page. even I don';t know where they ALL hide.

(;-) TP

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2013, 03:52:43 PM »
I think some of the problem with RTFM is they aren't even right/updated with each updated version.

In regards to documentation, lets hope it's kept updated with Mach 3-V4?

Dave
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2013, 05:40:26 PM »
Manuals are a real challenge. The usual problem is one must read the whole manual to get the big picture and then go back
and bisect it to get specifics.  Then if one is looking for understanding, each little part becomes a topic by itself, and, don't forget the practical application of the information. Good grief should you get real techie about something.

If I combined all my reference manuals and info, which are in binders, it would easily be 6 linear feet on a shelf.
For the LazyTurn manual  I had over 500 pages of text to be rewritten and put into some sort of context.
In nut shell, it's very difficult to do a manual that will satisfy every question or need.

What more can one say.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Below is a list one could use to make ia generic fill in the blank paragraph which could be posted.
COMPUTER:
 - LAPTOP - TOWER - OTHER
 - ON BOARD GRAPHICS
 - OPERATING SYSTEM - XP, VISTA, W7, W8
 - USING PP OF EXTERNAL MOTION DEVICE-  SS, OTHER
 - DEDICATED OR MUTI USE

CONTROLLING PROGRAM:
 - MACH3- LINCENSE, UNLICENSED / DEMO, PIRATED COPY ( WHAT THE HECK MAY AS WELL ASK!)
 - POST XML
 - STANDARD OR CUSTOM SCREEN SET
 - MACHINE TYPE- MILL, ROUTER, LATHE, PLASMA, OTHER

EXTERNAL DEVICES:
 - SS, OTHER
 - BREAKOUT BOARD
 - VFD
 - INDEX BOARD
 - PENDANT, X BOX360, OTHER

CONTROLLER:
 - DRIVE MANUFACTURER AND MODEL
 - POWER SUPPLY
 - NUMBER OF AXES

MACHINE SPECIFICS FOR THE FOLLOWING:
 - MILL
 - LATHE

Feel free to build on the above .........,
RICH

« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 05:42:37 PM by RICH »

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2013, 05:59:34 PM »
The main idea about manuals  to to present all the facts. It is up to the reader to educate himself up to the point he understands the Words then learns the technology. MOST people today through LACK of proper education do not know how to learn. They were just taught the answers to the questions in order to get out of school.

As a tech writer you are responsible for the  reasonable content up to a point . THEN it is UP to the reader to follow through with the learning process. IF they do not understand a word then THEY should look it up and LEARN what it means.

As long as teachers do not teach students to LEARN and then if needed FORCE them into the process  then We will continue the long sloped slide to the bottom of the educated heap.

MOST can learn but MOST do not want to waste THEIR time when they can find someone to do it for them.

(;-) TP

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2013, 06:22:47 PM »
MOST can learn but MOST do not want to waste THEIR time when they can find someone to do it for them.

Ahh.....That's why they are the managers and we now work for them  ???  ;D  ;D  ;D

RICH

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2013, 12:13:12 PM »
The main idea about manuals  to to present all the facts.

EXACTLY! Therein lies the issue. If you're reading what you believe are facts in the manual, and then go ask a forum some questions based on (what SHOULD be) facts, and then are told:" that manual hasn't been right for years", it then get's a little frustrating to learn that all you studied won't even apply..... No wonder some are frustrated  ;)

Dave
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)