Hello Guest it is April 17, 2024, 10:34:48 PM

Author Topic: Laser cut titanium handcuff ring  (Read 18244 times)

Laser cut titanium handcuff ring
« on: December 21, 2012, 08:28:25 PM »
Here's a new ring I made today.  It's a WORKING handcuff ring made in titanium.  It clicks closed like normal and has a tiny key that actually opens it.  I made it to bottom out at a specific ring size so it would not get too tight.  It was cut from four thicknesses of .051" 6al4v titanium plate with my Mach 3 controlled fiber laser, and was laser welded before finishing.
Bruce Boone
Boone Titanium Rings
Re: Laser cut titanium handcuff ring
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 09:27:44 PM »
MAN, that is cool Bruce !

Beautiful stuff on your site too !

The laser cut series is especially neat.

Thanks for the post,
Russ
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 10:05:51 PM »
Thanks Russ.  The laser opens up all kinds of possibilities that weren't open to me before.  I've been working on a ring that works as a music box and plays Ode to Joy!  I'm still working out the details; it has too much friction right now.  Doh!
Bruce Boone
Boone Titanium Rings

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 11:48:22 PM »
Please be careful with making rings out of TI. IF the need arose to cut it OFF in the emergency room NONE of them have the tools to do so. It could mean the loss of a finger one day.

Just a thought, (;-) TP

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2012, 12:02:05 AM »
Not true.  I make my living making titanium rings, and have made probably around 30,000 titanium rings over the years.  The first thing I did was cut a ring off of my own fingers using various methods including a ring cutter, hack saw, bolt cutter, and Dremel tool.  You can cut through one fairly easily with a hacksaw.  Although titanium can be hardened, it is not done so on rings.  It has a Mohs hardness of around 6 or so.  Stainless steel is similar in properties.  I have had 4 customers that I know of have them cut off.  Emergency rooms are equipped to handle it.  Tungsten carbide cannot be cut by conventional means, but it can be cracked off in a vise or vise grips.
Bruce Boone
Boone Titanium Rings

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2012, 12:24:14 AM »
Sorry but the medical profession disagree with you.  MOST do not have the resources to quicky remove hard metal rings from swollen or crushed rings on  fingers.

Just a thought, (;-) TP
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2012, 12:56:34 AM »
The people in the medical profession that dont think so also don't work with it each and every day.  I do and have for the last 20 or so years.  The Internet is full of misconceptions about titanium.   While yes, it is harder than gold or platinum, I assure you it can be cut off by conventional means.  Most do indeed have ring cutters that will cut it off.  I've done it several times.  Certainly they would have a hacksaw, bolt cutters, or Jewelers saw as well.  Titanium has the reputation of being much stronger than steel, while that is not necessarily the case.  It is just stronger per weight.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 12:59:10 AM by btboone »
Bruce Boone
Boone Titanium Rings

Offline N4NV

•  398 398
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2012, 10:16:16 AM »
Fantastic job!  I am wondering how you installed the click that holds it closed.

Vince
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2012, 11:13:26 AM »
That's a thin T shape that was cut in .020" stock by the laser.  Titanium sheet was used there too since titanium is springy.  The outer walls have a small rectangle cut into them that the tips of the T stick into and locates and traps it in place.  The inner walls just have straight cut guides.  The T is bent to more of a J shape, so it goes below the key and loops back around to be able to engage the pawls.  There's some room left below the J on the inside sections for the piece to be able to be cantalevered away from the pawls when the key pushes it down.  The rectangles protruding through the walls were laser welded so they are no longer visible.
Bruce Boone
Boone Titanium Rings
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2012, 12:17:32 PM »
Here's another ring that's cut by the laser.  I call it The Man Ring.  It has a working bottle opener, comb, saw, straight blade, and serrated blade.  It's all titanium with an internal axle of titanium as well.  It's riveted together with brass rods.  It's an amazingly handy thing to have.
Bruce Boone
Boone Titanium Rings