Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 03:59:29 PM

Author Topic: Mach3 and Tapmatic Tapping Head  (Read 33946 times)

Re: Mach3 and Tapmatic Tapping Head
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2012, 01:32:36 AM »
Hi, This is the website for the manufacturer, it looks like and auto reverse is part of the internal actions. By the look of the exploded drawing don't attempt to take it apart.
http://www.smiag.ch/ModuleFiles/Werkskataloge/107/PDFFile2/TIC_Katalog06_engl_081206.pdf

Jim
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2012, 01:39:59 AM »
Sorry forgot to say page 33 gives example of fanuc programming.
http://www.smiag.ch/ModuleFiles/Werkskataloge/107/PDFFile2/TIC_Katalog06_engl_081206.pdf

Jim
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2012, 04:07:14 AM »
thanks for all the info guys, looks pretty complex.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2012, 04:26:31 AM »
Ag yes forgot that you would need to fast retract the first bit of the  reversal  to engage reverse or you would overfeed. Other than that the important factor is knowing the correct spindle speed rather than just what has been commanded.
Hood
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2012, 04:32:00 AM »
so is my understanding of how they work wrong?

i thought you fed the tap towards the hole at a slow speed, when the tap reached the hole you fed down a little bit till the tap bit.

with the spindle travelling at a slow speed when the tap bit, it would just tapping to the bottom of the hole when reaching the bottom reverse would engage and the tapping head would retract and come out. then you just need to pull the tap out.

???

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2012, 04:44:48 AM »
I have not studied the tapmatic pdf properly but the normal reversing tapping heads I have seen have a cone clutch arrangement in them, when you feed down the cone engages and drives, when you stop feeding the tap is still pulling down due to spindle still rotating and the feed cone will start to disengange. This is where you do your short fast move to take up the slack to quickly engage the reverse cone  and the tap rotates the opposite way and you retract at the standard feed.
The feed is based on RPM and Pitch of tap. G95 makes it simple, especially with metric as all you need to do is have your feed at the pitch of the tap being used. If you are using G94 then you will have to calculate what the feed is to be based on the pitch and the RPM the spindle is doing.
 As mentioned though you really need to know the true RPM to make it work correctly as without feedback from the spindle you cant be sure the RPM is what has actually been commanded. Two options, use an external tach to see what the actual RPM is or make up a slotted disc with an opto so Mach gets feedback.

Hood
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 04:57:33 AM by Hood »
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2012, 05:43:36 AM »
ive been told my machine has spindle feedback but its connect to the spindle drive.

so i need to look into this further

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2012, 08:28:06 AM »
Do you have any links to info on your machine?
Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2012, 09:34:34 AM »
Not a huge amount of info in that, well not the type we are looking for. Understandable as its a user manaual I suppose :)
Anyway if you have a look on the spindle drive you may get a clue as there are inputs to it lower left and info screen printed on the pcb. One may say Index?
Hood