Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:07:13 AM

Author Topic: Z Axis height limit.  (Read 9876 times)

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: Z Axis height limit.
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2012, 07:30:47 AM »
Hi Paul,

As you are taking care of safe Z within the Vectric generated GCode - Within Mach3 Config / Safe Z setup (uncheck allow safe z moves).

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2012, 07:40:24 AM »
Hi Paul,

As you are taking care of safe Z within the Vectric generated GCode - Within Mach3 Config / Safe Z setup (uncheck allow safe z moves).

Tweakie.
Thanks mate, found it and yes it was set to 1", changed it to work only with the Vectric G code Safe limits, I knew it would be in Mach3 somewhere, Cheers again, Paul.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2012, 07:50:05 AM »
Hi Paul,

I am pleased you got it sorted.

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2012, 08:52:38 AM »
Struggling to see how Safe Z in Mach would affect things if you were doing as you said, ie
when I click on "Cycle Start"
As far as I see safe Z is only used when you press the GoToZ button or do something like a Run From Here.

Further on you said that it happens when you press Go to Zero, it will do that of course and is why I always say safe Z is best set in Machine coords as you will always know where it will go in relation to your axis travel.

Hood
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2012, 09:32:22 AM »
Yes understand that, i just did not want it to go up a whole inch so i set it to 5mm, as i am cutting some pretty thick guitar bodies. And yes my machine was going to the top of Safe Z on "Cycle start" or I would not have had a drama. Anyway all sorted now

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2012, 10:26:03 AM »
What I am getting at is if your safe Z had been set to say -0.5 in machine coords then it would never go to your limit switch as it would always stop 0.5inch before it no matter where you set your material zero.
Also sounds like you have not set up soft limits, might be worthwhile looking at doing that as it would also stop you hitting the limits unintentionally.

Hood
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2012, 05:55:44 PM »
What I am getting at is if your safe Z had been set to say -0.5 in machine coords then it would never go to your limit switch as it would always stop 0.5inch before it no matter where you set your material zero.
Also sounds like you have not set up soft limits, might be worthwhile looking at doing that as it would also stop you hitting the limits unintentionally.

Hood
Yes that is basically what I have done now, I did not know how to do it, that was the question I had posted. I would love to set soft limits, how do I go about doing that? Thanks, cheers Paul.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2012, 02:50:14 AM »
Soft limits are easy enough, go to config menu then Homing and Limits.
Set X min Y min and Z Max to Zero
Set X Max YMax to the amount of travel you have on each axis
Set Z Min the amount of travel you have but as a negative value.
The above is assuming you have your home switches at the negative end of X and Y travels and Positive of Z.
Hood
Z Axis height limit.
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2012, 02:03:57 PM »
I was having Z axis issues too, I didn't know how to do the tool touch-off at the time. I would run my code and the upper Z limit switch would get tripped - was driving me crazy. After I did Auto Z, problems solved. It was driving me crazy tho