Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 04:11:54 AM

Author Topic: First impressions of CS-Lab products  (Read 64306 times)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: First impressions of CS-Lab products
« Reply #50 on: December 23, 2012, 11:34:08 AM »
Ok heres a pic, wee bit different but not sure if any better, pic is a bit more blurred though.
Hood
« Reply #51 on: December 23, 2012, 01:24:33 PM »
That does look a bit better, but is still lagging a little bit.
As Graham said early on, you would have to slow the rpm way down to maintain the pitch throughout the retraction (or, very nearly).
This would probably drive you batty  :)(or battier ;D), if you were to cut the same thread at 1-200 rpm.
Just curious.

Yes, hopr to hear from the others as well.

Thanks Hood,
Russ
 :)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 23, 2012, 06:25:42 PM »
Not going  to be great for carbide cutting at that rpm but I will do it just for you ;D
Hood
« Reply #53 on: December 23, 2012, 10:13:47 PM »
 :)Very kind of you, thanks.

Just want to be sure this product will do as I expect.
I've jumped the gun on new products before only to be bitten in the ass by them later on ..... or left hanging. ::)
Thanks Hood,
Russ

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 24, 2012, 11:05:26 AM »
I tried at 200 rpm but afraid the tip got chipped and the spindle was slowing down, when it got further into the cut it actually stalled the spindle so I dont have anything to show :(
 Good thing was the threading kept on track with the slowdown and even sat waiting when the spindle was fully stopped, so that part is still looking good.
I didnt have time today but in a few days I will do it again at the low RPM but this time in delrin so that the tool doesnt chip and stall the spindle.
Hood
« Reply #55 on: March 07, 2013, 12:09:55 PM »
Hood, anything further on this project?

I'm interested in purchasing CS-Labs for retrofitting my Anilam equipped Goodway lathe (with Baruffaldi 6-tool changer) it's been a joy to follow this thread because I am a complete machine-conversion newby. Anyway, it's my take they offer the optional I/O I'd need to control the turret - is this correct in your view?

Finally, what's the source of the keyboard/MPG you're using?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 12:14:05 PM by jbeech »

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 08, 2013, 01:32:19 PM »
I have been busy with work and also I am retrofitting the Chiron VMC so that is taking precedence, so I havent done much more to it I am afraid. I have fitted home switches (with temporary wiring) and they work well. Machine will move to switches and back off slow like normal but also if you have things set so home switches are activated and stay activated if you keep going the same direction then the CSMIO is smart enough to see that so will just do the slow backoff move.

I have done a few jobs on the wee lathe and everything is working well, the only thing that isnt perfect is the threading and I have found out it is to do with Mach but its unlikely it will be sorted until Mach4. Threading works well just the pullout is slow, so if a radial groove at the end of thread is not a problem then its fine. The threads I reported that were good I found out was because I had an old version of Mach loaded, so something changed in the Mach plugin interface.

Yes you could use the I/0 of the CSMIO to control your turret, it can be done in the macro by calling/reading the I/O

I use various keyboards on my machines, all stainless with trackballs but of various manufactirers, just whatever I can pick up on eBay usually.

Does you lathe have servos or steppers?

Hood

Offline Dan13

•  1,208 1,208
    • View Profile
    • DY Engineering
« Reply #57 on: March 08, 2013, 01:45:45 PM »
Hood,

What MAch version did produce good threads? Was it 057? Or an earlier one?

Dan

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 08, 2013, 02:08:14 PM »
it was 022 if I recall, Spindle Override did not work in that version however.
Hood
« Reply #59 on: March 21, 2013, 10:00:57 AM »
The PDF files are too large for this website and thus, I will be sending them via email.