Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:58:15 AM

Author Topic: First impressions of CS-Lab products  (Read 64298 times)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: First impressions of CS-Lab products
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2012, 07:11:10 AM »
Just talked to Graham and he said its probably you need to install MSChart and .net 3.5.
After that you shouldnt get the errors when trying to get into config.
Hood
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2012, 12:25:35 PM »
Hey thanks, that was the problem.  The more I look into this package the more impressed I am.  Has anyone had any luck dealing with machmotion?  I'm looking for a nice screenset kind of geared towards flamecutting, kind of on a short time schedule.  Is there ultimate screenset any good as far as plate burning?  I'm sure as I play around with this more and become more proficient with the programming I could make my own, but for now I wouldn't mind paying for something that already works.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2012, 01:54:44 PM »
Not sure if the Machmotion screen would any use for flame cutting or not, I think its geared more towards mills.
Plasma screens may be more suited to what you are after but not sure if there are many plasma screens out there other than the default Mach one.
Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2012, 04:43:41 AM »
Just thought I would update this thread as well as my lathe build thread.
I have the controller mostly wired now, have the spindle running nicely and have the Z axis running at 10m/min. I am waiting on a small motor for the X axis coming so may be a week or two before I get that and I am able to test out some actual part making.
 I was playing around with the MPG yesterday and I am liking it very much. It is very smooth in all of the three scales and it does not buffer up the pulses like the parallel port and other controllers do. What I mean by that is I can put it to the max unit per click, which is for me 1mm/click and I can wind the MPG as fast as I like and when I stop winding the axis stops. If trying that with the parallel port or SS or ESS then the axis would continue moving long after the MPG had stopped rotating.
Anyway heres a vid of the MPG in action.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xz62bOHCc_M&list=UUNEcFI4fdD5kV938uchW3sg&index=1&feature=plcp
Hood
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2012, 04:06:39 PM »

The CSMIO/IP-A 6 axis unit is fitted to a 4 axis mill with Baldor Flex drives working +/-10v with 4096 pulse encoder feed back,

Graham

I have some Baldor flex drives that use Resolver feedback and take both step/direction and +- 10 volt control.  I was going to go with another option but am strongly considering the CSLabs products.  Any thoughts on whether I should go with the +- 10 volt or the step/dir control versions?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2012, 04:16:16 PM »
If your drives have simulated encoder output capability then probably the analogue CSMIO would be a good choice. If not then the Step/Dir may be better but you better check what voltage Step/Dir the Baldors require as I think some need 12v or maybe even 24v Step/Dir.
Hood
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2012, 04:35:27 PM »
Thanks for the reply Hood.  Why would you go with the analog option? 

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2012, 04:48:20 PM »
I am just of the thought that that it may be easier to pick up analogue drives if the need arises in the future. especially with your motors having resolvers.

I am getting a Chiron Mill sometime soon and I am thinking I will go the analogue route. I am not sure what drives I will use at the moment but I do have some that are analogue only and some that can do both analogue and Step/Dir. So if I go analogue then I have the choice of drives, if I went Step/Dir then I would not have the choice.

Hood
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2012, 04:53:49 PM »
Makes sense.  Thanks (for all your posts - very helpful).
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2012, 02:59:48 PM »
Hi Graham, do you have a listing of the PID settings for the new csmio/a series controllers? Do you know where I could a guide to help configure my analog drives?