Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:48:07 PM

Author Topic: re:CNC Lathe program  (Read 42721 times)

Re: re:CNC Lathe program
« Reply #60 on: August 04, 2012, 12:37:51 PM »
Rich
Thanks again I am going to spend most of the day today working with the Dolphin program.

Dennis
« Reply #61 on: August 04, 2012, 02:47:27 PM »
Hey Guys
So i tried again to setup and use Dolphin with just a basic outside profile DXF file, first off Dolphin did not want to save the file where i wanted it to next it dose not show which processor is for an inside or outside profile also i could not get the program to to start and finish the cut where i wanted it to i am sure its me not clicking some box some where but i do see some problems maybe a mater of the learning curve but since i have just a short trial period before i buy i would like to see the program drive the machine and cut a basic part still trying oh and when i brig the file into Mach it still shows crop circles and the tool path wants to follow the circles not good can't seam to find the reverse arcs tick box.

Dennis
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 02:53:36 PM by DennisF »

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 04, 2012, 04:11:33 PM »
Never had an issue saving to where I wanted so not sure whats going on there.
Not sure what you mean with "next it dose not show which processor is for an inside or outside profile", the post processor will do both internal and external. The difference between the two Mach 3 post processors from Dolphin is one is for Radius mode the other Diameter.
Never had an issue with starting where I wanted either, its very configurable and you can tell it to strat and finish at exact positions if you wish.
Have you had a look at the tutorial video and the manual?
Hood

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 04, 2012, 06:42:05 PM »
Dennis, if you looked at the file I posted you would see how to do some of what you are asking.

DOPLHIN TURNING POST PROCESSORS
Mach 3 - Radius mode T_mach3Rcss

Mach 3 - Diameter mode T_mach3DcssT

RICH
« Reply #64 on: August 05, 2012, 01:10:13 PM »
Guys OK so there is a difference between radius and diameter post rich i have only one post that dolphin provided that has a (t) in it the other dose not so dolphin must have made a change i contacted them and they have sent me yet another post to try but it is a single post processor. Hood when i contacted Dolphin they said because my machine has a front mounted tool post that i need to use the lower quadrant to work with for my start and finish positions and for some reason it is not processing the simulation or code correctly. when using the upper quad half the program in the simulation mode works to cut the profile but if i use the lower as Dolphin instructed the part gets cut off and won't cut the profile correctly so i don't know whats up here also it could be that i need to configure Mach differently to accept the code from Dolphin i don't know but i have used pieced together code from bob cad to make a small part and it worked just fine and i have another program from denford that is a real basic outside only turn program that works but i have to delete one line of code from the file that comes up numerous times in it which is a real pain this is why i have been trying to find one package that works.

Dennis 

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 05, 2012, 01:54:32 PM »
I think it is the tool designation of front or rear that defines where the tool will cut but not sure. If you create a job then attach its .cnc file here I will be able to see what you are doing and maybe be able to help.

Hood
« Reply #66 on: August 05, 2012, 02:10:24 PM »
I thought Mastercam was hardwork, it seems like this Dolphin thing is ten times more difficult to get working.  I have to ask, with this much trouble, is it really worth it?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 05, 2012, 02:18:31 PM »
I thought Mastercam was hardwork, it seems like this Dolphin thing is ten times more difficult to get working.  I have to ask, with this much trouble, is it really worth it?
I found it fairly easy, I downloaded the demo, watched the video/read manual  and had a part programmed soon after. I couldnt post code as it was the demo but I was happy enough that I bought it and a dongle, probably spurred on by the fact it was on a special deal at the time and cost me under £300 including the dongle and VAT.
The thing that took me a while was getting the Post Processor altered to suit my lathe as I had front and rear turret setup but once I got my head round it it wasnt too bad.
« Reply #68 on: August 05, 2012, 03:04:54 PM »
Hood
I think your right about the post and where the tool is front or rear of center line, i have not problem with the program and simulation but running the code is where most problems occur and getting the programs set up correctly to accept and work with one another was always the issue when i was a professional working with cad cam software.

EJParrott
I don't find the problems i am incurring with dolphin any different then others i have used in the past such products as smart cam and such what i have found after they have your money then it becomes a pissing match with oh no its not our product its the others guys product and no one wants to just help fix it this is where a great forum like this one comes into play.

Many thanks to all you guys

Dennis 

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 05, 2012, 03:42:22 PM »
I never thought Dolphin was hard and frankly found it rather easy to use, since to me anyway, it mimicked what i would do manualy.
One just needs to spend some time finding out what all the other settings do and how to use them. In fact if one wants to they can extract info
and get very precise information from Dolphin.

The more control a program gives the user the more inputs and understanding is required. If you want limitations and a few clicks to get the job done then something like LT is ideal.

RICH