Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 05:58:57 PM

Author Topic: re:CNC Lathe program  (Read 42878 times)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: re:CNC Lathe program
« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2012, 02:57:53 AM »
You can import either the full section of the part or only half of it into DolphinCAD but half is much easier as you dont have to delete or split lots of lines to define the path.
When you import it into the CAM the CAM will then see the full section of the part.
I will post up a few pics later of the stages needed in CAD then how it imports to CAM.

Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2012, 05:00:48 AM »
Have attached a quick intro into how I do things for Dolphin Turn, hopefully it will help get you started.
Hood
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 05:05:07 AM by Hood »
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2012, 12:54:21 PM »
Hood
Thanks that was a very good example I will give it try doesn't to involved.

Dennis
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2012, 08:06:24 PM »
Hood
OK i have been playing around with the program and managed to get it cutting in simulation on screen, question if i am using a front turret then i would select the lower profile correct? next question if  the file profile has a notch say in the center area and one on the face how do i get the program to cut the inside notch it just goes on the outside profile and dose not touch the notch would this be another tool such as a grooving tool or how is this approached.

Dennis 

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2012, 03:07:11 AM »
I am not sure how it would worlk to be honest as I initially had two turrets the rear being my default and front secondary. I think you may find that no matter whether you choose upper or lower profile the code will be produced depending on the designation of turret for that tool in the tool setup.

Not sure if I am understanding what you are meaning about a notch but possibly have a look on the second page of a toolpath and see if taking out the tick in the "stay out of undercuts" option is what you are looking for.
Hood

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2012, 06:36:31 AM »
Dennis,
Have a look at the attached.
FWIW,
RICH
« Reply #46 on: July 31, 2012, 08:37:01 AM »
Hood
OK i have been playing around with the program and managed to get it cutting in simulation on screen, question if i am using a front turret then i would select the lower profile correct?

If I understand you correctly, and I admit I use Mastercam not Dolphin, you don't need to select upper or lower, front or rear turrets, top or bottom profiles.  As Hood says, draw half the part in Top WCS, and in my case the front face is always Z0 and all turning is Z negative.  For an outside turning tool select the outer profile lines as the cut path, and for internal boring select that on the inside.  there is no selecting of turrets, although a little sideways thinking is sometimes required when using special tools.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 31, 2012, 08:55:59 AM »
You define tools in Dolphin by front or rear turret, approach direction and Left or Right handed.
I think it is the turret that defines whether there will be positive or negative values for the X in the code but likely that can be changed with the post processor.
What I would say is try with a rear tool assigned in Dolphin and it will show above centre line in the simulation in Dolphin but if your tool is at the front in Mach it will likely be OK and show as such in Mach.
Hood
« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2012, 12:51:56 PM »
Thanks guys all very use full, working in the program and trying the simulation i found that you can select the front and rear halves of the profile and the approach is different as i select the sections to be cut I suppose it's a matter of getting my head wrapped around it Rich thanks for the lathe instructions. I found something wired yesterday i used the Dolphin cad to create a drawing just a very basic outline to work with i manged to get the program to simulate the cutting of the profile but when it finished up it pecked faced the front of the profile i retried it several times and it did the same thing meaning i deleted the file and started again trying to make sure it wasn't something i did.

Thanks for all your help.

Dennis   

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 31, 2012, 01:19:58 PM »
Regarding the "it pecked faced the front of the profile" sounds like you didnt have the correct end point chosen, maybe something like Z as a positive or zero?
Hood