Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 10:55:08 AM

Author Topic: re:CNC Lathe program  (Read 42713 times)

Re: re:CNC Lathe program
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2012, 06:11:26 PM »
Hood / Rich
how about inside turning dose it work OK i am so gun shy here i have spent way to much hard earned money on CNC software only to get screwed in the end no pun intended these companies make all these promises and then poop out i just want to make sure the program dose what i want it to.

Dennis

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2012, 06:21:03 PM »
Yes it works fine for me anyway. Did have to set the tools as rear when front or something like that but think that was when I had the two turrets, cant remember if I still need that or not, could look when I get back to the workshop but that will likely be Thursday as I am working away tomorrow.
Hood

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2012, 06:34:29 PM »
I believe they do have a demo to test with(;-)

(;-) TP
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2012, 07:17:17 PM »
Would the demo cut parts that would be great a test drive before you buy :).

Dennis  

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2012, 01:38:23 AM »
Ver 10 demo didnt produce code whether Ver11 demo will or not I dont know.

Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2012, 06:29:16 AM »
Ok got back to the workshop earlier than expected and just looked. I still have to tell Dolphin my boring bars are on the front toolpost and approaching from the rear. If I dont it sets the arcs wrong. This could be due to my post processor as it was originally set for dual turrets or maybe even  its Mach as the front/rear tool settings in Mach are a bit screwed up. Either way it doesnt really matter as long as you know what to do and as the tools are set up in the Dolphin Tool table you never have to change again unless of course you are defining a new tool.
If it is a Dolphin issue then it may be fixed in Ver 11, if its my post processor then it wont be an issue anyway.
Hood

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2012, 06:39:24 AM »
Dennis,
I only use AutoCad or Microsatation and basicaly ignore any other CAD program so won't judge Dolphins's cad. I will say that it imports
a dxf fine if it is drawn correctly, which is different than LC and LT relative to quadrant and what is shown.

Learning curve is rather easy or was for me. Like any software you need to  read info on it, watch the video, and play some.
Dolphin provides options, like picking a starting and end point , multiple path generation based on using different cutting tools. arranging the order of the operations, and thus you have more control over how you want to machine the part. So you create a job and import the dxf based on some parameters, setup the machine, create and select a tool, select type of operation ...where the operation would be very similar to what you would
do on a manual lathe, emulate the a single or all the machining operations,and if acceptable post the code.

One needs to spend some time on how to pick a start and end point and understand the affect of selecting an options.
The more control over what you want to do requires more definition to Dolphin. ie; You can define the rapid moves to and from a point.
There is a geometry flyout whch provides info about the profile like start end point center etc, for each part of the profile.

It took me a while to figure out how to do some  internal machining thus understanding of the last paragraph becomes important.

I will remark that there are two post processors for Mach, one for radius and one for diameter, and and Mach should be configured for
the Dolphin post processor.

Would suggest you download the trial, watch the video and do some homework before tryning to use it for more complex work.

RICH

BTW......  One of these days the Gremilins will quit taking my play money and will purchase it .....darn they know all the hiding places :D

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2012, 01:34:08 PM »
Rich / Hood
Thanks to you both for the information, i am now a hobbyist making parts for myself i want to use my CNC lathe for facing and inside turning outside tapers and radius's also threading would be nice my lathe is a rebuilt Denford orac so it's not a big machine but it is solid Brit iron.

Dennis
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2012, 01:35:48 PM »
Rich
I know what you mean about the cash flow now being retired.

Dennis
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2012, 05:39:20 PM »
Rich / Hood would either of you guy's be using the Dolphin mill software ?

Dennis