Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 10:44:45 AM

Author Topic: re:CNC Lathe program  (Read 42712 times)

re:CNC Lathe program
« on: July 21, 2012, 12:20:32 PM »
Hi guys
Well with lazy cam lathe dead i have tried several other programs all with a lot of problems in other words they don't work worth a dam ya i get the usual promise to fix the problems same old line is anyone using an affordable working lathe program that works with Mach please no Bob cad.
thanks for any and all advise.

Dennis

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: re:CNC Lathe program
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 01:23:39 PM »
I use Dolphin and it works well for me. Has a few quirks that you get used to for example entering a thread pitch you have to type it backwards. Other than these stupid things I dont have a problem with it. I have modified the standard post processor to suit my lathe but it was relatively easy to do. Overall I am delighted with it and as I got it when they had a special offer on I am glad I took the plunge at the time.
There is a new version out V11 and I think it addresses the niggles but for me I dont think I will bother upgrading as there didnt seem to be much difference apart from that.
Hood

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 05:53:23 AM »
Dennis,
I would echo what Hood said and Dolphin Lathe is on my list to purchase. Just not much out there for turning that's affordable.
One can get by with LazyTurn for an external profile and the wizards, but, a single supported software package for the lathe
which is supported is nice. I don't recommend using the turn module in LazyCam since the turning tools were never completed and the code generated
seems to always need review or modifcation.

RICH
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 12:28:04 PM »
Hi Rich and Hood
Thanks for the reply i have always wanted a turn program and i have tried many with out success i looked at Dolphin but at that time the program didn't look to promising i will look at it again, yes i have worked with LC and LT for turn and this is why i am still looking.

Dennis
P/S what ever happened to Chip ? 
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 12:34:49 PM »
So whats the difference other then price for the turn program hobby / pro version from Dolphin.

Dennis

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 01:36:20 PM »
No difference apart from price.
Hood
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 02:46:34 PM »
Thanks Hood
And it works right how about the learning curve user friendly how about support ?

Dennis

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, 03:02:43 PM »
Learning curve was fairly easy for me anyway, few funny things I needed to do when I had both front and rear toolposts with internal tools but once I worked out what was needed it worked fine.
I altered the standard post processor to suit myself and that was relatively straightforward to do once I go my head round it.
As for support, I got a bit of email help with the post processor when I first got it but not needed any since.
My biggest gripe was I couldn't import iges but I believe the latest version can, I have now got into the way of doing DXF's now so dont really need the iges import. The CAD side of it is a bit clunky and I dont use it apart from importing the DXF I have made in other CAD and choosing the shape then sending it onto the CAM. But I would imagine if you used it it would become second nature.

Hood

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2012, 05:33:11 PM »
 Dennis,
You may need a dongle depending on what you intend to do and that adds to the base price of the software.
RICH

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2012, 05:37:35 PM »
Rich I know the licence method has changed with 11 but not sure how but I am sure I read you dont need an internet connection now.
Hood