Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 01:45:19 PM

Author Topic: Help - Pendant for Indipendent Axles  (Read 10482 times)

Help - Pendant for Indipendent Axles
« on: July 17, 2012, 06:53:41 PM »
Hello to Everybody,

I'd need a pendant or more than a pendant by which I can manage manually 3 axles in a indipendent way.

I summarize the features for each axis:

a)Joystick forward and reverse
b)Selector for resolution: 1/100-1/10-1mm
c)Selector for movement of the axis: continuous mode and single step

This mean I should have the possibility to move the 3 axles with dedicated joystick, dedicated resolution and dedicated mode of movement.

Is there someone who can help me if Mach3 does really manage these feature and how to do it?

Thank You in advance
Regards,
Graziano

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Help - Pendant for Indipendent Axles
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 03:05:31 AM »
Not sure on the joystick as I have never used one but the other two things you want are easy enough if you have spare inputs. You can do that via a Brain or macropump, Brain being the easiest. For the Cont/Step all you will do is have the Brain look at the inputs and depending on which one is seen it will act as if it presses a button as you would on the screen. The other one (resolution) is also easy, the Brain would just look at the inputs and then write the desired value to the Step increment DRO depending on which input is seen.
I do both of these on all my machines but I use a MPG for the motion and not a joystick.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 03:27:28 AM »
Hi not sure if this is exactly what you want but I have been happy with mine
http://www.vistacnc.com/b01_pendant_P3/pendant_P3.htm
Regards
Nick
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 10:17:34 AM »
To nzinoz: beautiful pendant;  thank you but no, it is not what I need, I need 3 axles indipendent control.

To Hood: thank you Hood, some considerations on your answer:

-Joystick can be  replaced with buttons: does this solve the doubt?

-Spare input: yes I can use a Smooth Stepper controller to have enough inputs

-Please, what are a Brain and a Macropump?

-When you say You did these things on your pendant you mean you put 1 MPG+resolution control+movement control dedicated to each axis?

Thank You
Graziano

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 01:17:09 PM »
It all depends on what you are meaning by "movement control dedicated to each axis"
On my control panels I have a MPG and rotary switches that select which axis I wish to move via the MPG, I also have a rotary switch that either puts the MPG in Velocity mode or puts it in to step mode at 1mm, 0.1mm or 0.01mm steps.
Hood
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 02:00:21 AM »
Hello Hood, you have a pendant with

-1)a rotary encoder
-2)a rotary switch related to the rotary encoder by which you choose the movement mode: single step (and 3 resolutions 0,01-0,1-1 mm) or velocity mode.
-3)a rotary switch by which you select the axis (X-Y-Z).

What I need:

Assuming to use a rotary encoder instead of a Joystick I asked at the beginning of the post:

1)3 Rotary encoders (One for X , One for Y, One for Z)
2)3 Rotary switches  (related to the encoders X-Y-Z) by which I select the resolution 0,01-0,1-1mm or the velocity mode.

What I ask:
Is it possible to obtain this kind of configuration?
Can we use a Joystick or button instead of the rotary encoder?

Thank You,
Graziano

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 02:53:28 AM »
It should be possible, as I mentioned I have no experience with the joystick so I am not sure how you would connect that. With 3 MPG's it should work although as before I have never had that. Buttons would also work but I think there may be a problem with buttons if they are via the SmoothStepper as there may be a delay in there action.

For the rotary switch then that is easy, you just need position 1 going to an input in Mach and then have a brain look at that input and change it to Vel mode when it is seen. Input 2 on the switch would be seen by the Brain and it would change it to step and the desired step amount, input 3 would change to a different step value etc etc,

Hood
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 03:38:06 AM »
Thank you Hood,
very kind of you.

To realize such a system, what hardware do I need and what software?

Thank You,
Graziano.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2012, 04:16:10 AM »
The only hardware needed will be switches etc. No software needed other than Mach as Brains are part of Mach.

Hood
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2012, 04:22:54 AM »
Hood pardon but I am not an expert.

What I need is only to fill somewhere in Mach3 the number of the pin arriving from the hardware installed?

Have you time to tell me what are the screens or file to look in Mach3?