Hello Guest it is April 23, 2024, 11:04:48 AM

Author Topic: Galil Status  (Read 31820 times)

Galil Status
« on: January 09, 2007, 12:50:35 PM »
Brian,
I am now ready to change from my Gecko system back to an 1842 Galil PCI with full
servo control. Never had good luck running my motors with the Geckos,
my motors like a higher voltage. Anyway, what is the status of the
Galil interface with Mach 3? I am just now starting to play around
with the Galil and Mach. This weekend I am rewiring everything and
going back to my AMC drives. I will be ready for Mach and Galil to
work together and run programs if possible. Have you gotten to the g
code conversions? Can you give me a clue as to what works and what you
may be working on in the future, and is the Galil interface going as
good as you had hoped?

Thank you,
Allen
Re: Galil Status
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 07:53:37 AM »
Allen,
The Galil is a ver pwerful device but I must say that the protocall is very clunky and it is not fun at all! But with that said I have been able to get it working on most things!

What I have working (On my copy)
1. Motors move (I am getting moves that are on position)
2. Outputs are working
3. Limits seem to be working Soft and hard
4. Homing is working (with or without and index pulse)
5. I can use an axis to output to a spindle 0-10V

What I need to do
1. Find the small bug in the inputs
2. Make softlimits work better (They only start to slowdown when they are hit at this time)
3. See if there is a better way to make the spinlde work.. (I need to be able to ramp the RMP)
4. IF I can get the spindle to work the way I like.. I am going to add rigid tapping :)
5. Add Threading for lathe (I don't have one to test but there are a few out there that are going to help)
6. Add code to revers each axis (Don't think you should have to rewire your machine)
7. Figure out a way to see what Gcode line the gcode display should be on (This is Very hard)

That is about it!
Fixing problems one post at a time ;)

www.newfangledsolutions.com
www.machsupport.com

Offline efrem

•  12 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2007, 01:44:34 AM »
Brian, can you tell me witch version of galil will works with mach3. I have a DMC-2140, will it works ?
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2007, 08:13:29 AM »
Any of them that are PCI and ethernet.

www.machsupport.com
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2007, 09:50:59 PM »
I am using a Galil 2132.  Are all the functions for the inputs and outputs working.  I am considering using the Mach3 on a new machine we build and the inputs are very important.  I have been designing machinery around the Galil since 1983 and have written much custom code for several boards.  I would like to keep using Galil but am also thinking about the GRex. 

Thanks
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2007, 11:19:26 PM »
I would use a Rex if there was new firmware... It just is not at a level that I think it should be at ;( We should have had new firmware by now... I hear that it is still getting worked on!  :o

www.machsupport.com

Offline efrem

•  12 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2007, 09:28:44 PM »
The galil products seems to be more professinal than Grex. Grex seems to be a hobby project ... I don't have money to waste in this. A galil card keep a good value but I don't think so about the Grex ...
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2008, 10:24:50 PM »
Hey all, I see that a lot of folks read the Galil posts. Sorry I have not posted in awhile. Galil has been running bug & error free free for over a year. Aug 2007 I put in a emachines(Gateway) box on my mill so I could use a PCI card I had obtained. I had been using an ISA card 1730, 1780 just fine but that was on an old P3 500hz box with Win98se. I wanted Winxp pro with faster bus so I needed a PCI card. Like i said MAch3 and Galil flawless!!! Used to use Camsoft always changing something very clunky spent to much time always configuring never trusting the machine.
I leave Alibre with Alibre Cam running on the computer with Mach3 running. Allows me to make parametric changes on the fly with just alt tab. Running VFD for spindle never could run my radio to much noise on line. I had xm radio playing over the internet while doin a drawing and forgot to dissconnect before running a part. Surprise 3000 lines of code all done at speed with the onternet and alibre running concurrently with Galil card. I'd say it;s running well. could not do that with my old Anilam Crusader

David
Happy Turkey Day all
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2008, 08:46:16 AM »
Hello David,
I am very pleased to hear that the Galil is working for you! We (Kenny and I) have done some more work on the Galil and added MPG's that  are done with gearing through the Galil. We should have a new version out in a month or so with updates and a bug fix ;)

Keep up the good work!

Brian

www.machsupport.com
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2008, 12:42:31 PM »
Can someone tell me if the Galil pliugin download works for them?

I tried downloading it 3 different times and I can not get it to work. On the pc sitting next to the one I am trying to load it on, it works fine. This is with the latest download of Mach and the Plugin.

Thanks for any help.

P.S. When is the new version coming out?

Cutmore