Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 07:28:03 PM

Author Topic: 1997 DYNA MYTE DM4800 VMC to Mach3 Conversion  (Read 137176 times)

Re: 1997 DYNA MYTE DM4800 VMC to Mach3 Conversion
« Reply #80 on: November 28, 2011, 01:01:46 PM »
Ive got a 1995 dm4500 w/ a m3 control  i m not sure if it can rigid tap.an or does anyone how to tap in this machine

Contact these guys, they are still supporting it. 
http://www.dynamechtronics.com/supports.html

Also, this is DM4800 to Mach3 conversion topic, I do not think you will find much information here about your DM4500 machine.

JH
« Reply #81 on: November 28, 2011, 03:20:21 PM »
Sounds like they are working out well. I think you may be fine if its anything like my lathe, the motors on that were monstrous, cant remember  the exact specs but they were big.

What kind of accel are you getting out of the axis?
Hood

Hood,

I have installed the X and Z Axis Servos and I am still playing the accelerations and servo tuning parameters.  My Mach3 acceleration has been all over from 30 to 80 in/sec depending on the servo parameters at the time.  I think in the video it was around 80 in/sec.

Do the X and Y need to be the same for the linear interpolation to function correctly?  I wasn't sure about that.  I have always had it the same on my other machines.

Thanks,
JH
« Reply #82 on: November 28, 2011, 03:37:42 PM »
JH,
    Man that is kinda steep  but quality costs sometimes. I assume these are mostly plug and play right so should be well worth it. Does it come with cabling and whatnot for it as well?  Are those motors coolant proof?  I guess $3300.00 for all three brand new motors and drivers ready to rock on a nice VMC like this will be money in the bank if you ever have a problem with any of them.   It really looks like the biggest difficulty of these conversions is the damn toolchanger huh. Gotta have it but all those sensors and logic settings are gonna be difficult and time consuming I would imagine.  You make this stuff look way too damn easy my friend.   BTW, I had a guy come to my shop today with a Harley Davidson and I tig welded some brackets he broke on his frame that hold the saddlebags and exhaust on. It was pretty cool and I thought of you and your cool Chopper shop while I was working on it. That was the FIRST Harley I have worked on... haha Peace

Pete

Pete,

Only money and free….  once I sell off the old motors and amplifier.  The Tool Changer is not hard, once the hardware is interfaced to Mach3 its all software that can be reused from the BP412 project.

I am glad to see you working on Harleys too :)

JH

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 28, 2011, 05:26:17 PM »

Do the X and Y need to be the same for the linear interpolation to function correctly?  I wasn't sure about that.  I have always had it the same on my other machines.

Thanks,
JH

No, Mach will compensate. I always think its best to get the accel as high as possible even if it means a wee bit off the rapids.
Hood
« Reply #84 on: November 30, 2011, 03:21:06 PM »
JH,
   So you really think you will be close to breaking even when you sell the factory stuff on ebay or something?  that is amazing and very encouraging to me as well.  I know you got the BP running nice, have you made any cool stuff on it lately?  This current machine should be considerably more capable with power and travels I suppose but that BP sure came out nice. I looked into that one you zipped me a bit ago but I honestly want something with a little more travel.  Also it was not exactly close by.  The machine I will get is out there and I  am looking forward to it but I gotta be choosy here because I will only get one shot at it... haha peace

Pete

« Reply #85 on: December 19, 2011, 07:18:23 PM »
Any updates?  ;D
« Reply #86 on: January 17, 2012, 12:42:19 PM »
Got some time to work on the mill again and did some additional servo tuning.  I think its solid now, strong and fast, 520IPM with 60 on the acceleration for X and Y.  So the XYZ is marked as completed, if I need to go back and tweak I can.  Below are the servos mounted on each Axis and a Video of all 3 of them in action. 

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/GUHi6zB0nkY&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1&amp;rel=0&amp;color1=0x006699&amp;color2=0x54abd6&amp;border=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/GUHi6zB0nkY&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1&amp;rel=0&amp;color1=0x006699&amp;color2=0x54abd6&amp;border=1</a>

Thanks
JH

« Reply #87 on: January 19, 2012, 04:01:01 PM »
Well the ATC Motor and/or Circuit has failed...  I have a 5 AMP fuse for the AC side and this keeps popping, even when replaced with a 10 Amp.  The relays are also sparking like flash bulbs.  So, my plan moving forward is to replace the motor with a simple AC Motor and gear box.  I have pulled the old motor off and created an adapter to link the the new AC motor to the ATC  (15mm to 0.500 shafts).  Working on a new base plate for the now.  Hope to have this back up and running reliable soon.

Thanks,
JH
ATC Motor Mount
« Reply #88 on: January 23, 2012, 10:30:59 AM »
I got the new ATC Motor mount machined out this weekend.  The stock gear box is on the right and the new mount is on the left.  This will allow us to connect the new AC motor gear box combo to the ATC carousel hardware.  I should have it connected up and prototyped in a day or two.  Then create to final circuit and interface it to the ATC Macro and Mach Software.

Thanks
JH
« Reply #89 on: January 24, 2012, 01:52:56 PM »
The new AC motor gear box combo was installed onto the ATC carousel.  Bolted up nice and works great!  Tested it with an orange extension cable and was able to change directions depending on the starter cap connection.  Next step, create an interface circuit for Mach and test.  (should of done this the first time, spent way to much time on the stock 4 wire ATC motor…)

Thanks
JH