Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 10:13:19 AM

Author Topic: 1997 DYNA MYTE DM4800 VMC to Mach3 Conversion  (Read 137209 times)

Re: 1997 DYNA MYTE DM4800 VMC to Mach3 Conversion
« Reply #90 on: February 03, 2012, 10:45:42 AM »
Got the new circuit built and installed to control/interface with Mach.  The ATC Carousel is now functional (again).  Initialization (find home), Increment and Decrement Macros are up and running.

The new 3/8 tubing and quick release pneumatic couplers have also been installed to fix all the air leaks.  New solid state relays are now controlling the 3 pneumatic solenoids for ATC RAM, Draw Bar and Tool Release/Air Blast.   The macros from the BP412 Project have been modified to work with ModBus for this control.  I’ll add some pics when I can.

Next up: Spindle FWD, REV, ON, OFF, SPEED Control and ATC Orientation

Thanks
JH
« Reply #91 on: February 07, 2012, 05:17:35 PM »
Just a quick update on the ATC Carousel, schematic attached.
« Reply #92 on: February 07, 2012, 07:47:21 PM »
Joel,

Are you going to use a spindle mounted encoder to orient the spindle for the tool holder locking lugs or
are you planning on another method?
Thanks!

Keith
« Reply #93 on: February 08, 2012, 10:44:05 AM »
Joel,

Are you going to use a spindle mounted encoder to orient the spindle for the tool holder locking lugs or
are you planning on another method?
Thanks!

Keith

The current plan is to use the built-in encoder on the spindle motor with the stock FREQROL-SF VFD Drive.   

The original FREQROL-SF VFD had a SF-DA (Speed Reference and Magnesensor Card) to interface with stock MELSAS CNC Controller and stock Magnesensor.  Since the MELDAS CNC controller is being replaced with a Mach3 PC, this SF-DA interface card has been removed from the FREQROL-SF VFD SF-CA mother board and the Magnesensor will not be used. 

To date I have successfully removed the SF-DA card and updated the jumper settings and parameters on the SF-CA mother board to test the unit in a Stand-Alone Mode.  Using simple dip switches to test and interfaced to an old wire-harness, I can take the unit out of eStop to charge up the DC Bus and turn on the spindle fan, enable to unit, run forward/reverse, and adjust the speed with a 10K potentiometer. 

The same wire-harness has connections for spindle orientate switches and its position location is configurable with parameters on the FREQROL-SF VFD mother board.  I have not prototyped up the connections or studied the parameters to test.  I am hopeful that this will work…   I need to get a large block of time allocated to fully study this and test at one time.

Thanks
JH
« Reply #94 on: February 20, 2012, 06:37:25 PM »
Joel,

Thank you for the explanation. It will really help me with my retrofit when I get to my ATC.

Keith
« Reply #95 on: April 29, 2012, 06:35:28 PM »
Looks great JH. How do the new motors compare to the originals speed and torque wise. They look smaller but the newer motors can produce more power from a smaller frame size I presume.

John.

John,

The new Servos and stock Servos are not 1:1  The stock ones are rated at 2000W a 17 N/m while the new ones are rated 1000W 9.5 N/m (28.6 N/m peak).  I have demonstrated that I can run them at 1300RPM without an issue and this agrees with the torque/speed chart thus pushing the wattage to ~1400W.  I am also counting on the fact that the engineering that went into the stock design was over designed by at least 25 percent. 

Only time will tell if I have chosen to small of motors for this Machine.  I think I am on target for my intended usage and duty cycle of the machine.

JH

JH, I know this is a little old. But were you not able to use the original Servos? I understand these machines would do over 500ipm rapids with the stock Mitsubishi control.
I am looking at a 4500 which is a little bit smaller than yours. Same original control. I was hoping all the Axis Servo amps and spindle drive could be reused. My only issue is that I only have 240V single phase at home. I'd have to get a CNC Rotary phase converter, I know I can separate the CNC controls and run them on single phase but am concerned about running the original spindle drive/motor.

Advice?
Thanks
Marty
Mesa, AZ
« Reply #96 on: April 29, 2012, 07:19:40 PM »
Curious JH, where are you with the progress of your DM 4800 conversion?
Thanks
Marty

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 30, 2012, 03:11:34 AM »
Marty you could reuse the original amps and motors if you used one of the controllers that can send out analogue commands.
DSPMC
CSMIO/IP-A
Galil
Kflop/Kanalog combination

Hood
« Reply #98 on: April 30, 2012, 10:19:07 AM »
Marty you could reuse the original amps and motors if you used one of the controllers that can send out analogue commands.
DSPMC
CSMIO/IP-A
Galil
Kflop/Kanalog combination

Hood

Even with the Mitsubishi Servo amplifiers? Nothing special or.proprietery about them? The 4500 has the Mitsubishi Meldas Control.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 30, 2012, 10:36:56 AM »
Most Industrial CNC mills/lathes etc require the control to output +-10v analogue command, the control receives position feedback from the motors encoder or resolver and the amplifiers need a speed command from the motor, often a tach or encoder.
If using one of the above they would put out the command voltage required by looking at the feedback. If your motors have resolvers then you would need to fit encoders as all of the aforementioned controllers require encoder feedback.
Hood