Hello Guest it is October 23, 2019, 08:27:59 PM

Author Topic: 1997 DYNA MYTE DM4800 VMC to Mach3 Conversion  (Read 99544 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Prep and Paint
« Reply #130 on: June 14, 2012, 11:56:57 AM »
Getting some time back on the BIG MILL, this tool is big and I have parts all over the shop….. cant take the mess any longer!

The inside and outside of the large enclosure has been degreased, welded and sanded as well as several other large parts.  The ATC covers have been painted and are ready to be installed back into the VMC.   Been doing some work on the way covers too to ensure proper movement and chip protection.

Thanks
JH
Re: 1997 DYNA MYTE DM4800 VMC to Mach3 Conversion
« Reply #131 on: June 20, 2012, 04:42:46 PM »
The ATC covers are back on and the half of the inside is painted with 2 coats.   I removed the Z and the back Y way covers as these will need to be bent back into shape for smooth operation, plus it made it easier to paint.  The outside has the first coat of paint, hoping to get the second one on soon.

Also, the large electronic enclosure is sanded and prepped for paint.

Offline budman68

*
  • *
  •  2,360 2,360
    • View Profile
Re: 1997 DYNA MYTE DM4800 VMC to Mach3 Conversion
« Reply #132 on: June 20, 2012, 04:56:42 PM »
I love the "pride" you put into your work JH.

It's funny how I'm thinking to myself, "hell, I'd be glad just to be making parts on this monster, lol!"

Always enjoy seeing your work-
Dave
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)
Re: 1997 DYNA MYTE DM4800 VMC to Mach3 Conversion
« Reply #133 on: June 20, 2012, 08:28:22 PM »
JH, what kind of paint are you using and how are you applying it? What sort of prep work did you do before hand?
Nice work so far!
Marty
Re: 1997 DYNA MYTE DM4800 VMC to Mach3 Conversion
« Reply #134 on: June 21, 2012, 05:59:03 PM »
I love the "pride" you put into your work JH.

It's funny how I'm thinking to myself, "hell, I'd be glad just to be making parts on this monster, lol!"

Always enjoy seeing your work-
Dave

Thanks

JH, what kind of paint are you using and how are you applying it? What sort of prep work did you do before hand?
Nice work so far!
Marty

Marty,

Degrease and wash, clean with paint thinner, sand with DA 40 grit, 2 coats of oil based paint using a 3 roller.  The oil based paint takes about 12 hours to dry and flows out real nice.  It hardens in about 4 days leaving a clean durable finish.  Its all in prep work, the paint is the easy part.

Thanks
Jh
X and Y Servo Covers and Way Covers
« Reply #135 on: July 18, 2012, 01:34:45 PM »
All the sheet metal around Y Axis Servo has been painted and installed.  There are about 8 different parts that are under the way cover used to protect the servo from coolant and to provide a drain into the main enclosure.  The Y Axis way cover has been rebuild with rubber stops and delron slides. 

The X Axis servo covers are also painted and installed.  Next up will be the cleanup process for the X way covers and the back Y way cover.  The X Axis way covers are in good shape, only some the delron slides and rubber stops will need to be replaced. 

The back Y way cover will need sheet metal work.  I think someone was standing on it or something large was dropped on it as the internal fins are bent so bad it will not function properly.  I will look and function like new when it’s all done.
Doors and Slides
« Reply #136 on: July 18, 2012, 01:48:43 PM »
The 2 side doors have been painted and assembled with new rollers and bearing.  I was able to reuse the rubber seal for when the doors are closed.

The BIG electronics enclosure has also been painted and some of the hardware has been installed.  The cooling system mounts in that big hole on the right door.

Only the main IRON structure between the coolant and electronics enclosure, the 2 front doors and spindle housing remains to be painted. 

Thanks
JH

Offline Hood

*
  •  25,856 25,856
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: 1997 DYNA MYTE DM4800 VMC to Mach3 Conversion
« Reply #137 on: July 18, 2012, 03:47:11 PM »
Looking nice, will be good to see it running :)

Offline cnc-it

*
  •  153 153
    • View Profile
Re: 1997 DYNA MYTE DM4800 VMC to Mach3 Conversion
« Reply #138 on: July 18, 2012, 04:38:04 PM »
Good work JH. How are you doing with the axis servos...I noticed you had to downsize the motors to stay with the single phase power supply. Do you think they will be  powerfully enough to move that big bed and cut metal at the same time.
I managed to get a 1.5kw single phase Yaskawa drive and motor. The new Sigma5 is very compact..I got a new old stock Sigma 2 drive and a 8nm  1500rpm sgmgh motor..its a real beast of a motor for a single phase unit! Not cheap though..the sigma5 motor/drive is about 1800 gbp.
Re: 1997 DYNA MYTE DM4800 VMC to Mach3 Conversion
« Reply #139 on: July 18, 2012, 04:55:00 PM »
Good work JH. How are you doing with the axis servos...I noticed you had to downsize the motors to stay with the single phase power supply. Do you think they will be  powerfully enough to move that big bed and cut metal at the same time.
I managed to get a 1.5kw single phase Yaskawa drive and motor. The new Sigma5 is very compact..I got a new old stock Sigma 2 drive and a 8nm  1500rpm sgmgh motor..its a real beast of a motor for a single phase unit! Not cheap though..the sigma5 motor/drive is about 1800 gbp.

John,

These are lower wattage than the stock as we talked about before, but the torque is more in line to the stock servos.  Only time will tell once we start making chips....

http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,19480.msg139258.html#msg139258

Thanks
JH