Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 07:41:39 AM

Author Topic: 1997 DYNA MYTE DM4800 VMC to Mach3 Conversion  (Read 135277 times)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: 1997 DYNA MYTE DM4800 VMC to Mach3 Conversion
« Reply #70 on: November 10, 2011, 06:15:55 AM »
Wonder why they are rating at  1KW/1000rpm as clearly it shows 1500rpm continuous  which would work out to 1.5/1.6KW approx. Maybe it is the drive that is limiting the speed?

Hood
1000W 1000RPM Servo
« Reply #71 on: November 14, 2011, 03:56:54 PM »
Good news, the guys at MachMotion were able to help with the tuning of the 1000W 1000RPM AC Servo System.  They were very professional and knowledgeable of these TECO Servos and from the looks inside their shop, they have all kinds of cool stuff in the works.

I placed the table to the far right for max load on the Y axis for my testing, with only a view additional tweaks to the parameters, I was able to move Y Axis at 520IPM.  We still have some minor tuning to do.  The plan moving forward is to reuse the same parameters for the X and Z Axis.  Below is the first video showing of the testing on the Y Axis.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/D6XgBxpQ4Pc&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1&amp;rel=0&amp;color1=0x006699&amp;color2=0x54abd6&amp;border=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/D6XgBxpQ4Pc&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1&amp;rel=0&amp;color1=0x006699&amp;color2=0x54abd6&amp;border=1</a>

Thanks
JH
« Reply #72 on: November 16, 2011, 06:13:23 PM »
JH,
    Hey man that is looking BEEFY!!   So those are new motors them?   I love the looks of the dual  ways underneath that table. This should be a real stout machine when it is finished. So are you using MACHmotion parts or control on this machine?   They seem to have nice stuff but it is expensive...   You mentioned Teco drives, that is the servo drives for the axes right, I have had very good luck with my Teco Sensorless Vector drive here especially since it is under modbus control. I would not hesitate to  buy their products again. If you are indeed looking at new servos and drivers for each axis, about how much money per axis are you into it for?  I am watching and learning here man and hope to someday follow in your prodigious footsteps with my own VMC conversion.  It sure does look like a lot of work tho.  Good luck with this baby and I cannot wait to see some videos of cool parts being machined on it. Peace my friend...

Pete

Offline cnc-it

•  153 153
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 16, 2011, 11:58:52 PM »
Looks great JH. How do the new motors compare to the originals speed and torque wise. They look smaller but the newer motors can produce more power from a smaller frame size I presume.

John.
« Reply #74 on: November 18, 2011, 01:47:53 PM »
JH,
    Hey man that is looking BEEFY!!   So those are new motors them?   I love the looks of the dual  ways underneath that table. This should be a real stout machine when it is finished. So are you using MACHmotion parts or control on this machine?   They seem to have nice stuff but it is expensive...   You mentioned Teco drives, that is the servo drives for the axes right, I have had very good luck with my Teco Sensorless Vector drive here especially since it is under modbus control. I would not hesitate to  buy their products again. If you are indeed looking at new servos and drivers for each axis, about how much money per axis are you into it for?  I am watching and learning here man and hope to someday follow in your prodigious footsteps with my own VMC conversion.  It sure does look like a lot of work tho.  Good luck with this baby and I cannot wait to see some videos of cool parts being machined on it. Peace my friend...

Pete

Pete,

Yes these are new TECO Servos with matching TECO drivers.   MachMotion is just the source that I decided to buy these from.   Each axis is about $1100 from MachMotion, about $100 less than other places when your just buying Servos and Drivers.  Also, I really like the fact that I can call or visit them if /when I have tuning issues or need other technical help.  You can get cheaper servo systems on eBay, but I’m not so sure about technical support, returns or warnetee from these systems.

I did pick up 2 more servo systems for the X and Z.  Just getting started on this… I should have all 3 Axis moving in a couple of days.

JH

« Reply #75 on: November 18, 2011, 02:10:05 PM »
Looks great JH. How do the new motors compare to the originals speed and torque wise. They look smaller but the newer motors can produce more power from a smaller frame size I presume.

John.

John,

The new Servos and stock Servos are not 1:1  The stock ones are rated at 2000W a 17 N/m while the new ones are rated 1000W 9.5 N/m (28.6 N/m peak).  I have demonstrated that I can run them at 1300RPM without an issue and this agrees with the torque/speed chart thus pushing the wattage to ~1400W.  I am also counting on the fact that the engineering that went into the stock design was over designed by at least 25 percent. 

Only time will tell if I have chosen to small of motors for this Machine.  I think I am on target for my intended usage and duty cycle of the machine.

JH

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 19, 2011, 11:29:45 AM »
Sounds like they are working out well. I think you may be fine if its anything like my lathe, the motors on that were monstrous, cant remember  the exact specs but they were big.

What kind of accel are you getting out of the axis?
Hood
« Reply #77 on: November 23, 2011, 05:08:27 PM »
JH,
    Man that is kinda steep  but quality costs sometimes. I assume these are mostly plug and play right so should be well worth it. Does it come with cabling and whatnot for it as well?  Are those motors coolant proof?  I guess $3300.00 for all three brand new motors and drivers ready to rock on a nice VMC like this will be money in the bank if you ever have a problem with any of them.   It really looks like the biggest difficulty of these conversions is the damn toolchanger huh. Gotta have it but all those sensors and logic settings are gonna be difficult and time consuming I would imagine.  You make this stuff look way too damn easy my friend.   BTW, I had a guy come to my shop today with a Harley Davidson and I tig welded some brackets he broke on his frame that hold the saddlebags and exhaust on. It was pretty cool and I thought of you and your cool Chopper shop while I was working on it. That was the FIRST Harley I have worked on... haha Peace

Pete

Re: 1995 DYNA MYTE DM4800 VMC to Mach3 Conversion
« Reply #78 on: November 27, 2011, 07:48:07 PM »
Ive got a 1995 dm4500 w/ a m3 control  i m not sure if it can rigid tap.an or does anyone how to tap in this machine

Offline cnc-it

•  153 153
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 28, 2011, 12:50:37 PM »
Might be G84 that's pretty standard. Rigid tap is usually an option and requires an encoder either mounted on the spindle or on the spindle motor. Swap axis is common where the spindle axis becomes the x or y axis during the tapping cycle.
John.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 12:52:36 PM by cnc-it »