Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 02:00:04 AM

Author Topic: New lathe tool turret Help  (Read 10264 times)

New lathe tool turret Help
« on: September 04, 2011, 06:52:49 AM »
I have a new eight-station tool turret I wish to add to my Orac lathe, whilst I am competent at electronics and wiring I know zero about programming.
I think I need a macro to operate the turret!! The instructions that came with the turret says it requires an input pulse of 0v for two seconds to operate, (that is when normally 5v) and a 5v output pulse for 4 seconds to show status  (when normally 0v)
I also need advise on configuring to Mach, I am guessing setting up Ports and Pins. I fitted a CNCfor PC breakout board to operate the lathe.
I assume the G code instruction would be M6 T1 to 8
Any advice and help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Mike

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: New lathe tool turret Help
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 07:39:19 AM »
Have you tried a search since there are numerous posts about what you are asking about.
RICH

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 09:29:59 AM »
Do you have any more info on the turret as I would imaging it needs a bit more than just a 2s of 0v unless it just indexes one station at a time?

To call a tool in Turn there is no need for the M6 although you can use if you wish, the Tool call however is TXXYY where XX is the tool number and YY is the offset. For example T0101 would be tool 1 offset 1, T0802 would be tool 8 offset 2. Normally you would have the tool number and offset the same but if you have more tools that you can put in the stations you can set them all up and thus call them without having to reset the offsets. On my lathe I have a front and a rear turret both have 6 positions so I have T01 to 12 but offsets go up to 99 depending which tool is in the slot, see screenshot below of my tool table page showing different tools for different offset numbers.
Hood
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 11:36:45 AM »
Rich
Yes I have searched the site, but reading some of the posts I concluded not all turrets work in the same way, so I assume you need a tailored programme for individual turrets!!

Hood
That’s all the info I have, I quoted from the instructions.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011, 11:39:22 AM »
Do you have a link or a pdf you can attach?
Hood
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2011, 12:32:01 PM »
Here are copies of manual

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2011, 01:13:49 PM »
Ok looks like it does just rotate one position at a time and the feedback is only to tell the control it is stationary and has indexed.
I would much prefer to see a position indicator myself so that the actual position would be fed back to Mach to confirm which tool is in position.

Ok I am not the best at VB but what your macro is going to need is to look at the tool number DRO and increment that DRO each time you call a tool and also cut the 5v signal for 2 seconds then wait for he 0v in position before it again compares the DROs to see if you are at the correct tool, if not then move again etc, once there then it would exit the macro and Mach would continue.

Is there any way you could fit 4 switches so that each tool position could be monitored depending on the state of the switches? It would I think be much better as no chance of the wrong tool being in position when Mach is told to continue.
Hood
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2011, 02:50:59 PM »
do you have a link to the manufacturer of the toolpost
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2011, 04:35:43 AM »
I bought the turret on ebay around six monthes ago, as origonal Denford turrets go for silly money this one was very reasonable, manufactured by a one man band. I have tried to contact him but no joy.
Regarding the additional position switches, could we try to get it working and see how it goes and if it is not happy I could then attempt to add switches
Thanks
Mike
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2011, 04:50:15 AM »
i think i remember that one, is it red. I've tried to find his details but with no joy, but i'm sure he's posted on here or mycncuk.