Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 08:41:41 PM

Author Topic: USB TO PARALLEL  (Read 61082 times)

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
Re: USB TO PARALLEL
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2011, 02:03:03 PM »

Well this was the point I was making in my post above really - HOW does this stuff get there? do you pay? do you have to be in some private circle? do you have to do a special handshake? what?

Just send a PM to Scott, and he'll hook you up. That's how I got my screensets posted.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2011, 02:04:34 PM »
Gerry, you're an "in the know" kind of person, do you know much about this purelogic unit?

Thanks,
Dave
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2011, 04:56:40 PM »
HMM.....
I guess the real suprise is that for the longest period of time we all knew that no such thing as a USB to PP converter existed that worked with Mach.
( I'll skip the SS and a few others for this thread ). Now we have been informed that there is such a device. Nobody seems to know any specifics about it, how much it costs, etc, etc unless one can read Russian ( looked at the site pictures :),  but you know my saying that i can't read it but can wirte it  ???) .

Most of us over time have learned to be wary of new things since they just don't seem to add up to what we think or they claim  they can do ( from expererince). So i am not about to get excited about a new product until the vendor provides documentation on the product, support, longevity, compatability with cnc systems, a history of the aforementioned etc, etc, etc. Also don't see any reason to expend my good time delineating what should already be available for understanding.
Thus the way i see it the vendor has some homework to do on presenting his product.

Till then, what more can one say,
RICH

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2011, 05:08:40 PM »
Rich I still don't think there is.  That controller is a USB or ethernet controller similar to the SS just in a smaller more compact  package.

(;-) TP

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2011, 05:18:19 PM »
TP,
That's the way I am taking it also. One must look beyond physical connections.
So one would think that the vendor would quickly be upfront and correct any implied incorrect statements.

Said i can't read :D :D :D Egg on my face. ;) Sorry about the statement crossed out above.
our PLCM-series devices are MACH3 motion controllers(USB and Ethernet), not just USB-to-LPT converters

RICH
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 05:39:44 PM by RICH »

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2011, 05:18:26 PM »
I guess the real suprise is that for the longest period of time we all knew that no such thing as a USB to PP converter existed that worked with Mach.
( I'll skip the SS and a few others for this thread ). Now we have been informed that there is such a device.

My interpretation is that the PureLogic device is a motion controller, similar to the SmoothStepper or KFlop. It's Not a USB to Parallel converter, and I didn't see anyone say that it was. Post # 10 pointed this out. And I think that what was said in post #14 was not the intent, due to the Russian to English conversion.

I really don't see what the issue is here. Imo, PureLogic did nothing wrong. Anyone who develops hardware or software can get their products listed on the download pages, all you have to do is ask.

I personally can't wait to get more info, as the more products that are available, the better it is for us, the users. Right now there appears to be quite a few new motion controllers available, but few people know about them.

My biggest concern with these devices, though, is the current state of Mach3. I don't think a lot of people trust any of the newer versions. The lockdown is broken, and the development versions always seem to fix one thing and break another. I think the best thing Brian could do would be to just lock it down and move on to the new version, as the last 2 years of applying band-aids haven't instilled any confidence in the user base, from what I see.

Say I want to buy a motion controller for use with Mach3? I'd be very concerned about which versions of Mach3 their plugins were compatible with. And if version 4 ever materializes, will a new plugin be available?
Until Mach3 development stabilizes, I'm very hesitant to spend money on a motion controller.
Look at how long the smoothstepper plugin has been in development. When version 4 comes out, will they have to start over with a new plugin???
Gerry

2010 Screenset

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2011, 05:36:24 PM »
Thanks Gerry,
I corrected my reply. I also have similar concerns as you have stated.
RICH

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2011, 05:46:25 PM »
Thanks for the input, Gerry, well said.

Dave
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2011, 04:48:28 AM »
Gerry - thanks for the tip re: getting things posted on the downloads page. Simple when you know how.  ;)

Meanwhile FWIW I agree absolutely with everything you've said about Mach's current state. I've stuck steadfastly to 3.042.020. Yes it has bugs (mainly ones I was blissfully unaware of until reported by Ray) but they've never caused me personally any issues and I figure on better-the-devil-you-know. Later versions? - no thanks.

Cheers

Ian

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2011, 06:53:52 AM »
My router is running 3.042.020 as well. Rock solid, too, even on a $20 1Ghz Dell from Ebay
Gerry

2010 Screenset