Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 12:22:23 PM

Author Topic: New IPS (Interactive Programming System) Professional Screen for Turn  (Read 117393 times)

Offline Dan13

•  1,208 1,208
    • View Profile
    • DY Engineering
Re: New IPS (Interactive Programming System) Professional Screen for Turn
« Reply #70 on: September 09, 2011, 07:29:20 AM »
Hi Wes,

Now this is how they handle offsets. Basically if you have say a 10 tool changer/ turret. To get to the 2nd set of tool offsets you start at tool 11 and go up to tool 20. Basically tool 11 = slot 1 and so on.

In this example it's very easy to figure what slot would be tool number 36 for instance. But what if your turret had 6 slots for instance (like in my case), it would make it fairly complex to figure what slot is tool number 15... well at least for me ;) Now it's true that normally you wouldn't care about the actual slot, but I am just throwing in a thought.

Only reason I can think of is the tool changer macro isn't smart enough to handle anything past its physical number of tool slots??

Exactly!!! This is the main reason! I don't know how to change my macro to do what you say. May be your way may be better than the way I currently work, but the macro needs to change and I will have to get used to it. And by the way, I've never seen an industrial machine that works like you describe. Those I've seen work in terms of tool slots and offset numbers.

I still think that if you make the tool description in the Tool Setup DRO tied to the offset number (OEM DRO 245) this would make both camps happy. It wouldn't interfere with the way you work since in your case the offset number is always identical to the tool number.

Dan, if you still wanna do some testing I will send ya a copy and let you play with it. I would love to get this offset issue straightened out.

Sure.

Dan
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 07:33:50 AM by Dan13 »
« Reply #71 on: September 09, 2011, 07:39:59 AM »
Guess you are not following me:
There are 253 tools available in the setup page
T01  is tool 1 with its setup data for the first side
T101 is still tool 1 with its own setup data that is the ghost tool for the second side.
T201 is still tool 1 with another set of offsets, (I have no reason to think this functional unless I have a third side to turn)

T53
T153
T253

And I don't know of a lathe that you don't have to set up for every job you put in it, who can leave or use 99 tools in any lathe?
Whenever you setup for a new job you have to qualify your tool positions. Or you are looking for a crash.
You don't set up Tools offline like you do Mill tools in a qualified holder that has a gauge line to work from.
You physically have to put the tools in the machine and touch them off.
I'd love to see a picture of a lathe that has more than 99 tools. I've never even seen a controller with that many tools available (offsets yes T0101 thru T0199).
Mach3 is the first for me but it is a controller with milling / routing in mind first. The lathe thing was an after thought and it is obvious that the tool tables were never addressed for turning centers. Now we just have to be creative and use them functionally.

You should not use Mach3 Tool offset page for your Tool setup sheet. Just because you have all these available doesn't mean you should just fill them all in. There is a systematic approach to setting up a new job. Don't clutter up the Tables with numbers that you wont relate to in 6 months. Create a Job sheet with all data that is needed, then fill in the controller with only that. Clear out the rest because it will be useless anyways. Never setup a job with anymore than it takes to get the job done and others can follow your logic.
KISS (keep it simple stu...)

Now you just have to figure out how to parse the number to call up the last two digits in the T number to get the right position on your turret. Should be able to do that using a VB script in your tool change macro. Also a check in the script to be aware that sometimes people forget and only use one number instead of two (T1 = T01) so it would need to check for that possibility.

Offline Dan13

•  1,208 1,208
    • View Profile
    • DY Engineering
« Reply #72 on: September 09, 2011, 07:47:54 AM »
T201 is still tool 1 with another set of offsets, (I have no reason to think this functional unless I have a third side to turn)

To me it looks like tool number 2 with offset number 1 ;)

Dan
« Reply #73 on: September 09, 2011, 07:49:29 AM »
Not in mach3  it is tool 201
Look at the tool sheet they don't have separate offsets and tools, it all one call up.

This is a very unique controller don't confuse this with industrial controllers tool offset systems.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 07:59:46 AM by Ya-Nvr-No »

Offline Dan13

•  1,208 1,208
    • View Profile
    • DY Engineering
« Reply #74 on: September 09, 2011, 07:59:07 AM »
Sorry but I don't follow. Read the manual, section 7.5.3.

Dan

Offline DaOne

•  236 236
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: September 09, 2011, 08:07:48 AM »
See what I mean about being confusing?  ;D

Offline DaOne

•  236 236
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 09, 2011, 08:14:04 AM »
OK.. making some changes... Gonna make you guys happy for now. ;D I will also add the offset DRO to the control overrides.
« Reply #77 on: September 09, 2011, 08:16:39 AM »
sorry don't have the manual handy.
If that is true, Then I don't understand the 253 tool table then.
So you can have a T25301 and a T25302 and a T25303 ???
Where do I put in the tool and wear offsets for each of them?
Sorry i don't follow then.
Unless we are looking at two different tool sheets.
My version I get one Geometry and Wear offset per tool.
Version R3.043.039

write a small program and fill in the tool table with some know values and then call the tools up using single block and step thru the program and watch the DRO and see how they are updated.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 08:21:16 AM by Ya-Nvr-No »

Offline Dan13

•  1,208 1,208
    • View Profile
    • DY Engineering
« Reply #78 on: September 09, 2011, 08:22:29 AM »
You can only use 99 tools in Mach3Turn. Well, unless it hasn't changed recently... ;)

Dan
« Reply #79 on: September 09, 2011, 08:52:00 AM »
either way (has or hasn't), where do you put it in?
T0101 T0102 T0103 offsets I still only see one per tool, I opened the machturn program, go to Tool Table, change tool 253 and then go to Tool Table Editor and see it has changed tool 253.

I find only one offset per tool. and find nothing other than Tool 1 thru Tool 253

Seems pretty straight forward to me.
Your going to have to explain it better to me. Winking at me is not working for me to understand where your coming from, LOL