Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:50:17 PM

Author Topic: New IPS (Interactive Programming System) Professional Screen for Turn  (Read 116839 times)

Re: New IPS (Interactive Programming System) Professional Screen for Turn
« Reply #50 on: September 05, 2011, 06:01:52 PM »
Really nice. This type of screen for lathe was long overdue.
Full feature, crisp, clean, all-in-one, the best.
I hope we are selected for the test.
I have 800 steam pump flanges to make and would really like to run this screen on our lathe.
Question, will all buttons that are active ie. M01, Single block, etc. be highlighted somehow (LED, COLOR CHANGE) when active?
A great piece of work, look forward if selected to try it out.
Mark

Offline DaOne

•  236 236
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 05, 2011, 08:29:36 PM »
Not sure why id have a mist coolant button, guess I would have called them "Coolant"  &  "User Output" and then have them Glow like you just did with the Block Delete.

Ya-Nvr-No ,

Many lathes have both flood and mist style coolants. The great part is I will be including quite a few buttons that you can just change the file name on the put them in that spot. They will have an external script that can be modified to your liking. If the button is a toggle of any kind it will indicate with a glow that its on. Even the user modifiable buttons can be toggled with glow indication or standard buttons without a glow. The code to do each will be fully commented in the code. This will allow you to configure it how ever you like.

Wes

Offline DaOne

•  236 236
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 05, 2011, 08:35:27 PM »
I have 800 steam pump flanges to make and would really like to run this screen on our lathe.

When will you be doing this job? Will you be using cad/cam to create the code? IPS still has a lot to go. I want it perfect before I charge anyone for it.

Question, will all buttons that are active ie. M01, Single block, etc. be highlighted somehow (LED, COLOR CHANGE) when active?

If the button is a toggle (this includes all the ones you listed above and many more) they will glow when ON. This even includes the rapid rate , jog increment etc.
« Reply #53 on: September 05, 2011, 09:48:50 PM »
I came across this doing a search about mist systems. I personally have been turning screws Since 1967 and I hate mist systems. Would not have one, I use a High pressure coolant pump as my secondary coolant output if I need a second source. (Sorry, I just detest seeing that function on any machine) Shows me they have a lot to learn about this business, LOL If I had my druthers I'd setup most all machines with cutting Oil. Lot easier on the machine, doesn't rust, get stale, smell god awful and wont remove paint.

Quote from another source:
After 40 plus years of smoking three packs of Camel's a day I thought my lungs
were immune to anything.

Then I bought what became Express Tool & Die, and "inherited" spray coolant
systems on every machine.

Within a few days I was in severe congestive lung distress.  I noticed every one
of my machinists wore masks while machining and IMMEDIATELY had my shop guy
collect all the mist systems and put them in the next scrap run.

I "decreed" that flood coolant would be used in MY SHOP, paid whatever it cost
to set up decent systems, searched for a coolant base that met our requirements
(it costs four times as much as the regular Valcool stuff)  I have the Rep come
in every week to test and adjust the mix (free unless I need extra base which is
rare..this stuff holds up beautifully)

The solution is a translucent blue, not an opaque white or pink, the rust
protection on the machines and components is superb.

Coolant is as important to accuracy as the type and grade of tooling and
machines used.

It sure as hell isn't worth the REMOTEST risk to your health!!!

FWIW

end of quote
« Reply #54 on: September 05, 2011, 10:05:12 PM »
I use Gibbscam or manually programing depending on the detail involved in the part obviously easy stuff manual G-code for more involved jobs I use Gibbs.
We just got our licence upgrade Gibbscam 2011.
I have used Gibbs since 1998 on our other equipment we have some of the largest machining centers in the Northeast.
The lathe I want to test your screen on in in the tooling division of our company where we machine the smaller support stuff, in the main bay we have 60" to 200" lathes, and Vtl's that are either CNC or manual
Larry Dyer is my Gibbs guy and he wrote a new post for the Ecoca after I did the Mach3 retro on the lathe.
The flange job should arrive next week, reason being I am on vacation this week so I am sure it will be waiting for me when I get back...you know how that goes...
Check out our website below it shows main bay at my company and also in the scroll pictures there is a stainless spool I just got done with on our Poreba lathe I make about 10 of these Hydro spools a year.
This will give you a visual of our operation and it also lets you know I'm the real deal and your screen will be used in a true manufacturing setting.
Mark
www.energyresourcesgroup.us
« Reply #55 on: September 06, 2011, 07:49:03 AM »
I would be very interested in this screenset for our plastic shop. Our lathe runs basically all day long every day. I would be more than willing to put it through it's paces! We turn everything from very simple parts to fairly complex parts, and this looks like it would be very useful to us.

If not, then hurry up and release it!!! Lol... But really, it looks awesome!

Thanks,
Chris

Offline DaOne

•  236 236
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 06, 2011, 10:19:36 AM »
And since with your screen, setting the tools seems to be done from the Cycle screen I figured I needed to set the feed mode before programming something like G1 Z-10.

Dan,

The manual screen will have most of the same functions. The biggest difference is it will be geared towards using MDI. It wont have the stuff to load or edit a file. It will however it will have the ability to set up tools directly from that screen as well as play with offsets and a few other things geared to manual operation. On the cycle screen the only thing you can do from the screen directly is set the Z work offset or go to the tool setup screen directly. Basically each screen has a purpose and there shouldn't be a need to be in the incorrect one when it a one button operation to switch between them. You are correct. This screen is geared to be used with a touch screen as I feel a mouse doesn't belong in a shop environment. That doesn't  mean you can use one however. :)

Wes

Offline DaOne

•  236 236
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 06, 2011, 10:27:45 AM »
Chris,

I have had an overwhelming amount of requests to test this. It this time the slots are full. It will be released "soon". I hope I don't sound like Brian too much there? :D I plan to release two versions. One with the conversational programming interface and one without. 

Wes

Offline Dan13

•  1,208 1,208
    • View Profile
    • DY Engineering
« Reply #58 on: September 06, 2011, 10:30:52 AM »
Absolutely, Wes. Have been planning to replace mine with a touch screen for a l-o-o-n-g time. With your screen I will have a good reason to finally get one :)

Dan
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 10:36:04 AM by Dan13 »

Offline DaOne

•  236 236
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 08, 2011, 01:54:08 AM »
Another screen just about finished... Once again if you see something not there that you feel should be. Please let me know.

Features on this that may not be obvious...

*Full tool list (tools 1-20) right on the page.
*Tool nose radius button takes to to a diagram screen where you chick on the appropriate tool nose type. Eliminates guess work.
*DROs for using Go/No Go gauge pins when setting tools to the stock. This can be turned on/off with a simple check box so you can leave the values in place when you dont want to use them.
*Full tool configuration from screen including Turret angle for those that use that to position your turret. (Cant be left zero if using an external macro or brain to control the turret)
*Full machine controls including jog, spindle, rapids, feeds, functions, MDI, etc.