Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:51:01 AM

Author Topic: How can I continue g-code tomorrow ?  (Read 17101 times)

Re: How can I continue g-code tomorrow ?
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2011, 06:46:24 PM »
After reading all this I wonder why there is no 'pause' option. It's obvious that it could be a popular feature.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2011, 06:50:33 PM »
Pause? There is feedhold which is basically pause but you need to leave your machine powered up.
Hood
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2011, 07:02:36 PM »
You sir, are genius.
It was the watchdog thing. I don't know what it is. Or why it is. And at this point I don't even care.

Who needs manuals when you have The Power of The Hood?

A thousand thank-you's.

Cheers. Craig.
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2011, 07:06:07 PM »
Freehold, if it will pause the machine, is what I would like to see. All I have to do now is find what and where it is.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2011, 07:11:16 PM »
Ha ha well I try my best but luckily there are also a lot of others here who share their knowledge :)

Feedhold is on the main page and the toolpath page, see screenshot. Oh also pressing the space bar on your keyboard will work if you use the standard screenset.
Hood
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2011, 07:23:52 PM »
Thanks, Hood. Now I know how to see what my other problem are when I use a sharpie attachment. It will help with the analysis.

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2011, 11:05:50 PM »
How well the RFH works is VERY Gcode program dependant. Some ways of writing the code lend to easier interpretation for the RFH. Most of those are VERY large for their function as they are loaded with duplicate modal code that repeats over and over again each line.

Others that are written for efficient coding only have the modal calls where actually needed. OR may run sub routines and parametric values or Macros to complete the PRogram in a manner they need.

SO if I told you exactly HOW I did it it may not work as well for you. In time IF you learn to "READ THE GCODE" it will become apparent when and where it will work well  OR why it won't.

The manuals HAVE to assume some level of understanding on the Operatotrs behalf OR it would be 10"thick and cost $10,000 a copy. (;-) The manuals for the $1,000,000 machine are not much different. Most time worse(;-)

(;-) TP
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 11:08:44 PM by BR549 »
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2011, 11:58:10 PM »
I've been a professional graphic designer for about 25 years and am looking for new ways to ply my trade. So far I have done some pretty amazing carvings combining Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, ZBrush and Aspire with my CNC machine.
The results so far are beyond what I expected, and I have essentially walked away from my graphic design business and am starting to get more CNC work than I can handle. (Good thing!) My plate is full with the technical knowledge required just to do the artwork.

At one time, when the CNC world was the domain of highly skilled technicians, then yes, I agree that an elevated level of understanding of the "guts" must be assumed. I wish I had the time and technical aptitude to be able to learn about all the technical aspects of running my machine, but unfortunately I don't.
My CNC is a way for me to design products, explore ideas, create artwork and cut materials for clients. THAT is what is important to me. An analogy would be my truck. I don't know how the engine works, I just need it to get me where I need to go.
I spent over six hours today on my machine and on the internet trying to find an answer to a problem that stopped me in my tracks. I am thankful to Hood (above) for solving a seemingly simple problem that the manual did not clearly address.

There is a huge new market opening up for woodworkers and artisans as the price of decent CNC machines continues to drop. You can see advertisements in all the Woodworking and craft magazines.
It may not be ArtSoft, but some company WILL recognize a need for controller software that fosters success without the frustration (and time requirement) of having to learn an additional skillset. A controller software that allows users to focus on their skills, rather than fight with unfamiliar technology.

Mach3, I've found, can do amazing things and is very powerful. Yes, they would incur the cost of professional writing and designing a more user-friendly interface, but they could really dominate an up and coming market.
I've been lurking around this forum for about a year, and I would bet that most of the frustration and help requests could be eliminated.
Thanks for your thoughts. Appreciate the response.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 11:59:50 PM by blue31 »

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2011, 01:32:02 AM »
That market is not growing as you think it is. People are forever coming and going as they find they do not have what it takes or care to spend the countless hours LEARNING to master the MANY skillsets required to do it as the magazine adds show it.

ON your trucks were you born with the knowledge of how to drive it. (;-) NO you had to learn from "experience". The truck did not come with a "How to drive on the american highway system" manual did it?
But you were willing to PAY the PRICE of having a ready to drive truck engineered for the ease of doing so.

Same with CNC you can BUY a ready made engineered system and be provided with hands on training that can bring you up to full speed on ALL the aspects of Making parts. FOR a price.

BUT if you do not MAKE the effort to LEARN the basics of CAD/Cam/Gcode/Machine operation you wil be limited to just driving it around the block and then parking it not getting anything that you really want to do done.

Then you leave the CNC world. I have been around machines/ncmachines/cncmachine for almost 40 years and have seen generations of wishfull really want to be a CNCer come and go. Most simply because they would not put forth the effort it takes to learn it.

(;-) It is no different than learning to be a professional or hobby musician. Most will tell you all it takes is a lifetime of practice to master it. Simple and easy(;-) so the book says. Not so easy in real life.

(;-) TP

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2011, 01:55:21 AM »
Also IF there was really that much interest there would be How To BOOKS out the gazoo. Everywhere you looked you would see books on CNC maching.

Normally IF there is no market there are no books.

(;-) TP