Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:39:49 AM

Author Topic: Lathe Tooling  (Read 8824 times)

Offline Katoh

•  287 287
    • View Profile
Re: Lathe Tooling
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2011, 11:44:19 AM »
HOOD
Ill take your word, I'm a wood worker branching into a new horizon, If it wasn't for that boat I'm building I wouldn't off even bothered to buy a lathe, but after building a cnc router do you think I'm going to leave this a manual machine (NO CHANCE)
I look to people like you for advice, with the experience and no gobbly gook to go with it.
Mind you I have one hell of a wood lathe that's not covered yet? Does that make me a hypocrite?
Cheers
Katoh
Cheers
Katoh

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2011, 11:46:58 AM »
Ha ha not a fan of wood, I leave that to the Boatbuilders that are above my workshop (or their office is anyway ;D )

I offered to make them a big lathe to turn masts on but they are stuck in the past and would rather have two men working away with electric planers hand working them ;D

Hood

Offline Katoh

•  287 287
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2011, 11:56:10 AM »
This just gets better, I don't build in timber but aluminium, models of the boats are in timber. You have to love CNC.
Here's a quick pick of my backyard at the moment, Gets scary at times.
Cheers
Katoh

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2011, 12:00:51 PM »
Ha ha hope it doesnt keel over that far when you launch.

Built a wee chain ferry from Alu but most of the Alu I do is  structures on the fishing boats themselves, hoppers, net drums etc but the majority of my work is 316 stainless.

Heres a pic of the back of my workshop a year or two  back
http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,11249.0.html

Hood

Offline Katoh

•  287 287
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2011, 12:07:57 PM »
Holy crap that's much more impressive than mine! Do you think were Related?
Good chatting with you again, its bought a smile to my face. I will go back to my tooling subject now as once I get started on boating that will be the end of the post.
Cheers
Katoh
Cheers
Katoh

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2011, 12:43:06 PM »
I just did the stainless on it, the rest is GRP

Another place to look for tools is J and L, they sometimes have specials but unless they do they are not that cheap.

Hood

Offline djc

•  47 47
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2011, 02:02:27 PM »
Do we buy the tooling as good as it is, and will it be able to cope Ok under NC circumstances or do we look for bigger and better?
Again I don't know much about lathe work, but presume 12mm tooling will be fine under CNC conditions

12mm will be OK. The beauty of CNC is that it is easy to take lots of shallow, fast cuts as opposed to a deep, slow roughing cut.

If you don't already have a QC toolpost, you will want to buy one; smaller sizes are cheaper. Also, sooner or later you will want to add a toolchanger/turret; again easier to make for smaller tools.

If you do end up buying Glanze (Chronos in UK), consider getting the screwcutting set at the same time to save shipping. The Glanze set includes two tools that let you use the normally unused edges of the insert, so you get four edges per insert instead of two. Also, have a look at CTC Tools. I believe they sell the holders that take CCMT inserts. I have heard that their shipping is good to Aus.

Offline Katoh

•  287 287
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2011, 09:59:31 PM »
Thanks Hood Ill have a look at what they have on other through the week.
djc my list that I put together or wish list had the internal and external threading tool in there, also a parting tool . Boring and facing tool both use the CCMT and they have a left and right pair DCMT good for profiles, The other I had on the list was round profiling tool, really when think thats 8 tools for about $290Aus seems pretty good to me.
I will look at CTC as well.
Cheers
Katoh