Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 10:43:04 AM

Author Topic: motors not turning - please help (newbie)  (Read 13512 times)

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: motors not turning - please help (newbie)
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2011, 08:02:04 AM »
Yup, I keep getting an error trying to post a file on another thread.

email me     tweakie@talktalk.net

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline Thys

•  30 30
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2011, 08:06:40 AM »
thanks, just mailed you
Thys

Offline Thys

•  30 30
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2011, 02:13:03 AM »
To all those reading this thread as reference purposes, please note that the sherline 1/2 pulse checked sorted out the problem. the motors are turning fine now. Tweaky was fantastic is assisting me patiently to isolate the problem.
May thanks to the adminstrators for setting up this forum. it was a life saver.
Heres to a long happy cnc journey!
Thys

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2011, 05:00:53 AM »
Thys,

Really glad you got it sorted.
Now the learning really begins.  ;D

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2011, 11:22:18 PM »
OK, I'm having the same issue so maybe you found something that I'm missing. I hear the motors energized (and I can't turn them once powered) I have the C10 break out board from Keling and KL-4030 Drivers. Parallel works fine 1 to 1 , the Estop and limit switches all work. I have the 1/2 Sherline checked and I've followed the setup instructions to a T. I completed the driver test and it said excellent, I did this three times for good measure. Any help would be great. After all of this my motors still do not turn whether I'm using G code or Jogging. Again, ANY help will be most appreciated.

Thanks
Brian

Offline Thys

•  30 30
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2011, 01:27:06 AM »
Hi Brian, I am by no means the expert, but I do know the frustration of not getting your motors going. can you send me a pic of your wiring.
did you test your parallel cable with a multi meter?
under config in mach 3, ports and pins, input signals, did you check the estop to 0?
under the same section under motor outputs, have you set the direction and step pin numbers?
give me your email and I can send some wiring pics etc you to and other stuff which Tweakie sent me, which helped me in the end.
I really hope you are able to solve this soon, it's great playing with the cnc.
regards
Thys
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2011, 08:03:38 AM »
Thys,
   I checked the cable, its 1 to 1, I changed the e stop from 0 to 1 because it wasn't working when it was a 0 I'll change it back to try it again since some settings have changed since then. My steps and directions are even numbers are steps and odd are directions. so 2, 4, 6 are steps and 3,5,7 are directions. The com is set to 5v but when I probe from com to a pin I only get 1.4v, I'm thinking about changing it so that it is plugged into a separate 5v supply to see if it's just a lack of voltage that's causing the issue, I'm optimistic but I don't think this will be the solution to my problem given that the break out board has it's own power supply of 5v ( just to clarify I'll be plugging 5v directly into the motor controllers and not the breakout board com pin)

Thanks
Brian

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2011, 08:15:45 AM »
Brian,

If you are measuring the voltage output from the computers parallel port then connect the multimeter between GND (0 Volts) and an Axis direction pin. The voltage should change between 5 volts (or 3.3 Volts) when the axis is jogged in one direction and 0 Volts when the axis is jogged in the other direction.
(the C10 can accept 3.3 Volt or 5 Volt inputs).

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2011, 11:54:29 AM »
Update: Thy sent me some pictures of his set up which were VERY helpful, I apparently was missing the jumper from 5v to Eng Everything works great now, but now I have other problems which I'm not sure are problems. (They seem really loud) So off to searching the forums for that fix if there is one. Thank you both for your help!

-Brian
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2011, 01:04:17 PM »
Update #2: No the definitely are problems, my X motor turns about 5-10 turns and then stops but still sounds like it's turning, the Z does the same thing. As for the Y motor, it spins beautifully in one direction and when I jog in the other direction it sounds like a miss firing machine gun....::sigh::

Any ideas as to how to trouble shoot this?

PS I lowered my jog feed rate to 30% and it only helped the X motor, Z and Y were still acting funny.

Thanks
Brian