Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 01:44:03 AM

Author Topic: Mach 3 configuration--NEWBIE question  (Read 6621 times)

Mach 3 configuration--NEWBIE question
« on: April 13, 2011, 10:01:28 AM »
Here's my issue (see "calibration-Homing.jpg) diagram for reference). I inserted a plotting pen in the router and sent it a g-code intended to produce a 4"X4" square. I disabled the z-axis so not to destroy the pen! The g-code is attached. The path of the router is seen in black.

As you can see, the "square" is a 4"X 2-5/8" rectangle and not a square. It also plotted/printed in Quadrant 3 rather than were I thought it would in Quadrant 1.

Also, I'd love to be "routing/plotting" in Quadrant 1 as I look at my blackToe. In short, I'd like coordinate (O,0) to be the surface of the CNC as I look at it (gantry on left) with "home" in the lower right hand corner of the table.

I'm using Mach 3 and have the "steps per" set at 1422.22.  I also have the driver set at 1/16.  the x- and y-axis sprockets are ID 0.25 OD 0.84 Teech 9 ANSI Width .05 hub diameter 0.4375

Any clues to what I might do to fix this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Gerald
"Constants aren't; variables won't"
Re: Mach 3 configuration--NEWBIE question
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 10:02:59 AM »
Here's the g-code (attached)

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 10:43:31 AM »
Gerald,

Should have posted this on the first of the month  ;D

Wrong GCode file perhaps ?

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 10:57:35 AM »
Hi, Tweakie!

"I'm not sure "Should have posted this on the first of the month" refers to.  I'm new here and don't know the history.

I think the code I was using is now attached.  Sorry to have uploaded the incorrect one.

Thanks, Gerald 

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 11:13:50 AM »
Sorry Gerald, I have a convolute sense of humour - 1st of month would have been April Fool.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 11:17:39 AM »
I'm just sloooow this morning.  Of course it was!

Would you confirm that the g-code, indeed, should produce a square?  That may be the problem.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 11:23:09 AM »
No the G Code produces what you get or there abouts.
Hood
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2011, 11:29:14 AM »
ok, that's one issue solved! 

Now, how can I get my axes configures so that the "table view" in Mach 3 matches my real CNC table?   I want to work in quadrant 1 (see 1st diagram), but when I load g-code into Mach 3, the CNC output draws/plots in Quadrant 3 as shown in the 1st diagram.

Does this question make sense?

Thanks!
Gerald

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2011, 11:33:07 AM »
It all depends how you have the machine set up, where your home switches are etc. Sounds like you may have the home switches at X and Y positive positions. If thats the case then set a Home Off value equal to the distance each axis is away from  fully negative when homed.
Hood

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2011, 11:37:57 AM »
Hi Gerald,

Hood beat me to it.  ;D

I think you need to look at the program you used to create the GCode as the work area is approx 4"x4" the drawing is of a much smaller rectangle within that work area also I don't see the reason for the increasing Z depth. Bit confusing really but if the code is wrong, the work will be wrong.

The quadrant thing relates to the way your machine has been setup. You should have X,0 and Y,0 as the bottom left of your work table with +X moving the cutting tool to the right of the work and +Y moving the cutting tool to the back of the work. Do you jog keys move the cutter in the correct directions ?

Tweakie.
PEACE