Hello Guest it is April 24, 2024, 07:31:03 PM

Author Topic: Sherline Rotary Table NC control  (Read 3223 times)

Sherline Rotary Table NC control
« on: April 10, 2011, 05:52:01 AM »
Hi,

I live in New Zealand and am new to the Forum. I have a Taig CNC mill to which I have just added a Sherline rotary table. It is all hooked up and running fine, set up for A axis operation. My question is; can Mach3 continuously rotate the rotary table?

Thanks in advance,
Ken.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Sherline Rotary Table NC control
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 07:17:32 AM »
If you are trying to use it as a spindle then no not really. There may be ways to accomplish this but nothing as simple as just commanding an A axis continuous rotation.

Hood

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 08:29:28 AM »
In addition to what Hood posted, you will want to use a servo and not a stepper for turning it continously.
RICH

Offline Mc2

•  31 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 08:26:27 AM »
Hi,

I live in New Zealand and am new to the Forum. I have a Taig CNC mill to which I have just added a Sherline rotary table. It is all hooked up and running fine, set up for A axis operation. My question is; can Mach3 continuously rotate the rotary table?

Thanks in advance,
Ken.

Not sure why you would want to but, if you set up your A axis as a spindle then you could. You would have to turn on spindle with M03 or M04 with a speed command. You may only get 4 or 5 rpm out of it though. This would be hard on the table over time. On the other hand, you could command the A axis for a position in multiples of 360. Say you wanted to rotate twice. The command "G01 A 720 F 500" even with the rollover it should rotate twice around.

Jim.