Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:41:12 PM

Author Topic: Mach 3 toolchange for dummies???  (Read 84176 times)

Re: Mach 3 toolchange for dummies???
« Reply #120 on: September 29, 2011, 04:23:51 AM »
Hi All
I have the same problem as CNC70 on page 7 of this thread. (CNC70 did you manage to get your tool changer to work?)
I can get my tool changer to work well but only if I call the tools in one direction. If I call a lower number of tool to the carrent tool the turret tries to run backward against the ratchet lock. The turret can only rotate in one direction because of the lock.

I have tried it with not  choosing the option on General Config for "Ang Short Rot on G0" moves.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can set this up so that the tool changer will only operate in one direction.

Regards

Arthur

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 29, 2011, 04:37:27 AM »
attach your xml and macro and I will have a look and see if I figure out the problem.
Hood
« Reply #122 on: September 29, 2011, 05:51:08 AM »
Thanks Hood,

This Macro is only a trial based on a friends  using 4 tools for testing I will change it to 8 tools later.
Also I have temporarily  removed the entries required to move the table to safe position for toolchange as I have just been manually entering the tool changes during testing.

I have emailed the files as I get an error when I try to attach the files here. (already file of same name being used)

Regards

Arthur

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 30, 2011, 02:37:38 AM »
I looked at your xml and macro but cant see how that macro would work when used with a rotational axis as it is calling the axis to go to positions between 1 and 15 units depending on tool.
Hood
« Reply #124 on: September 30, 2011, 03:15:49 AM »
Hi Hood

An A value of 36 gives a full rotation of the turret which means it is 4.5 per tool. (8 tools)

So for tool 2 the values for A are 5 which takes it past the ratchet and 4 back onto it.

This works for all 4 tools. I have only been testing by manually inputting T0202 M6 etc.

Regards

Arthur

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 30, 2011, 03:35:18 AM »
You would need to use 360 degrees for full rotation and work out steps per degree.
You would need to enable Rot Rollover on General Config and disable softlimits rot axis and Short Rot on G0 moves as well.
You will NOT be able to use G53 if you wish the axis to rotate to the tool in one direction only, this will mean you need to home the turret.
To make your turret rotate forward you would just call the angle you need for example G0A15 then to reverse 1 degree you would call G0A-14. If you called G0A0 the turret would rotate the long way round which is what you want.

Hood
« Reply #126 on: October 02, 2011, 12:17:28 PM »
Thanks Hood,

I now have it operating in degrees and it is working well and I can now  change to any tool using manual inputs. I just need to set up a home switch now so tool 1 is always tool 1.
The next problem I see is that I cant edit the button script for home all on mach 3 lathe to include the toolchanger.
Do you know how I can get round this?

Regards

Arthur

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 02, 2011, 12:58:57 PM »
Open the screen in screen4 (or MachScreen if you prefer) double click on the button and change it to a VB button then save as a different name (so it doesnt get overwritten if you upgrade) and then in Mach load the renamed screen. Remember you need to make sure its saved a a .lset.

Regarding the home switch on the turret, you dont actually need one, just need to make sure when you home the turret is on tool 1.
Actually thinking about it as  you are working in G54 coords homing would not really be needed if you put an A DRO on the screen as you could just zero by typing. Probably still best to home though but.....
Hood
« Reply #128 on: October 02, 2011, 05:59:03 PM »
Hi Hood,

I cant get machscreen to run and I have tried to add a button using screen4 to the standard turn screen to zero the toolchanger but it screws up the position of other elements of the screen.
I am using XP.

Any ideas whats going on?

Regards
Art
« Reply #129 on: October 03, 2011, 07:23:39 PM »
Hi Hood

I have downloaded another (3 page lathe screen from works in progress) screen set with an A axis dro and zero button and it seems to be working okay without a home switch.
There is no diagnostics screen but I could load the standard screen set if needed.

Regards

Arthur