Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 11:41:28 AM

Author Topic: Mach 3 toolchange for dummies???  (Read 84163 times)

Re: Mach 3 toolchange for dummies???
« Reply #60 on: March 22, 2011, 08:47:24 PM »
Good afternoon Gents,

I'm new to mach3 mill and turn. I'm building a automatic tool changer for my cnc lathe. I currently use bobcad/cam as my cam package and Mach3 Turn for my operation. The G code that Hood posted (I thank him alot for taking the time). Can I insert this in my Mach3 post processor ? I thank you for your help!

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 22, 2011, 08:57:57 PM »
Not sure what code you are referring to but I think it is likely the VB code. This is for the m6start.m1s macro, this is a macro that tels Mach what to do when a tool change is requested and has nothing to do with your code or cam programme.
 I would imagine your post processor will already have the tool calls in it so likely you will not have to do anything  to the post processor. All that is required in the code is the tool call, for example T0101 or T0356. The first two numbers of a tool call (In Turn) are the tool number. The second two numbers are the offset number and that is what you have in the ToolTable.

Hood
« Reply #62 on: March 22, 2011, 09:07:53 PM »
Thanks Hood! My cam program does call out the tool # and offsets. So I should be able to setup Mach3 as you described and go from there. I think maybe my thought of how it operates is wrong. Do you have any other advice for an amateur? Thanks again!

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 22, 2011, 09:21:51 PM »
You will need to write the m6start macro to suit your tool changer and how it operates. It may be similar to the one posted earlier or it may be totally different, it all depends on your changer. My macro is totally different to that one I posted as my lathe has two turrets but they are mainly controlled in a PLC external to Mach so all my macro needs to do is switch on outputs to start the PLC and then wait for the PLC to tell it that the tool is in position.

If you can say how your changer will operate I am sure someone will be able to help you out.

Well 1:20am here so sleep time for me :)
Hood
« Reply #64 on: April 03, 2011, 09:39:02 PM »
Hi Hood, I have my tool changer running well. Thanks to your post on tool changer M6 info. I do have a questions, if you would help. If I want my turret to rotate only one direction all the time how would I achieve this? Currently it turns to the direction of the closes tool. Again thanks for your help!

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 04, 2011, 02:17:07 AM »
Have you tried it with not  choosing the option on General Config for "Ang Short Rot on G0" moves?
Hood
« Reply #66 on: April 05, 2011, 08:40:29 PM »
Hey Hood,

I hope all is well with you. I did try the Ang Short Rot feature. It did not work. Would you have any other thoughts? Thank you again!

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 06, 2011, 06:36:41 AM »
Can you attach your xml please, also your m6start.m1s macro.
Hood
« Reply #68 on: April 06, 2011, 09:39:03 PM »
Hi Hood,

Not to be dense but what is a XML? Thanks again!

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 07, 2011, 02:09:14 AM »
The xml is the file that contains your config, it will be named after the profile you use and will be in your main Mach3 folder. When you look in Mach at the lower right of the screen you will see the name of the profile you are using so you want a file with that name and the xml extebsion. You will likely need to rename as the forum only accepts a file name once,   so copy to your desktop and rename it to cncmill70.xml then use the additional options button on the  reply page to attach.

Hood