Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 10:26:37 PM

Author Topic: YAM-550 lathe retrofit  (Read 75723 times)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: YAM-550 lathe retrofit
« Reply #80 on: February 21, 2014, 04:21:29 AM »
ESS is fairly good but has drawbacks for me, main ones are it is just a basic board, no spindle control (Unless Step/Dir) so you will need some other board, the I/O is all 5v, so if wanting 24v (best for noise immunity) then you will need some means of converting and you really need breakout boards. The Step/Dir is just single ended, no Index Homing unless your servo drives support it. If using Step/Dir spindle then there are some issues with the ESS (seems to occasionally drop pulses for split second) Spindle Override makes things screw up, so I have mine disabled, also pressing Stop (after feedhold) will just suddenly stop the spindle pulses which is not good on a  spindle with a heavy chuck.
 The spindle issues may have been addressed in the latest plugins but I have not tried them, so cant say for sure but I would say probably not.
Threading works well with ESS , or has done for me.

Hood
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 04:27:37 AM by Hood »
« Reply #81 on: November 02, 2015, 08:55:07 PM »
I know that it will be hard to believe, but after much time away (from the forum, my shop, and machining in general) I have relocated and have been working on putting the shop back together. I have reduced the size of the shop, but have kept some of the machines and the YAM lathe is one of them I kept. While out in the shop on Saturday I started digging out all the components that I had bought to do the rework. After looking it over it came to me that I had most of the items that I would need to get it up and going. Then I went to see what it was going to take to get to the lathe as it was in the storage side of the new building. It was going to require quite a bit of work, but Sunday was going to be warm and looked like a great opportunity.

Sunday came and I enlisted the help of my wife to help me dig. By the end of the day we had the machine setting in a area that we were able to clear out. Plenty of room on all sides of it to get in to all the panels for wiring and updating components. We also managed to get to all of the other items that I had set aside for this project. The only thing that we didn't dig out was the front guard/cover. It is in the back most corner of the building on the floor in the actual corner. It would have taken hours to get it out and put all the other stuff back so I decided that it was going to have to wait until spring.

Today was spent cleaning up the AH-HA lathe that I have been using for years in an attempt to get it ready to sell. I am going to put a new spindle motor on it in the morning as it has been making lots of noise for some time now and I don't want to sell it as a running machine and have that looming. That should be the last thing to do to have it ready to go. Then it's on to working on the YAM for the first time in years. It's only been 5 years since I last worked on it. I even enlisted the help of a friend to ensure that drags on as long as possible.

Well I will do my best to post an update in a few days as to how the epic push for new CNC power goes.
It may not be rocket science, but try to send a man to the moon with out a machinist.
« Reply #82 on: November 03, 2015, 07:00:43 AM »
Glad to see you back. I was watching this YAM intensely hoping to find one for myself, but have not seen one since.
Thanks for the update,
Russ
« Reply #83 on: November 03, 2015, 08:38:34 PM »
I can't believe you were still watching. Thanks for not giving up on me.

Today we got the motor mostly done on the AH-HA lathe. Still some work to do on the wiring for reversing to rotation. I had forgotten how much reversing single phase motors sucked to wire up. I also decided to wire it 110 volts rather than the 220 volts that it has been. The thought is that anyone would be able to take it home and plug it in and be up making chips in no time. At 220 volts some may shy away due to the need to run power before they could use the machine.

As for the YAM... we got the controls all but removed from the machine along with all the old wire. The spindle motor that was in it was 7.5 HP and I couldn't see ever needing that much power now that I am not running a shop for $$$$ and didn't see the need to pay the cost of running it when I don't need it. I had a 3 HP motor setting on the shelf so in it went. That part is done, belts on and all lined up.

We ended the day working on laying out the components in the new panel. Feels like 50 Lbs. of crap that needs to fit into a 5 Lbs. sack. Working in industrial electrical panels for so long now I can tell that I don't have the space to do the installation the way I would like. As much as I don't want to I can see that I will be cramming it in the panel. As far as I san tell I am only needing a few items. A relay board from CNC4PC, 5VDC, 12VDC, and a 24VDC power supply. I have power supplies, but feel that I need to buy smaller units and size them properly.

Nothing worth posting any pictures of happened today.
It may not be rocket science, but try to send a man to the moon with out a machinist.
« Reply #84 on: November 03, 2015, 09:00:16 PM »
When you get to taking pictures, I'm interested in any/all detail that you could show pertaining to the dual slide assembly.
I'd like to copy that to put on a Wade lathe I have here.

Thanks again, will be watching.

Russ
« Reply #85 on: November 05, 2015, 11:54:12 PM »
Today went pretty well. Finished mounting most of the components in the enclosure and powered up with some temporary power supplies on the 5VDC and 12VDC. Made the connections from the lathe to the panel for the servos, encoders, and limit switch's.  All of it ran in a single seal tight with cannon plugs on each end so it was a matter of installing the plug on the new panel. Then it was traced out from the OEM print and hooked up to the new pin outs in the new panel.

Work was started on retrofitting the encoders. I wanted to keep the body/enclosure from the old Analam encoders because they look like they will be tough and liquid tight. The other benefit is reusing the factory brackets, wiring, and couplings. When we took one apart it proved to be more work than I had thought it would be, but that didn't stop us. Once we had one completely apart I was able to come up with what we would need to do in order to make it work and it was off to the lathe to get started. In the morning we need to make new 1/4" shafts for them. Then drill and tap the mounting holes and put it back together.

Started to configure Mach 3 also. Looks like the Smooth Stepper is working good. I'm not sure we have the C32 BOB configured properly just yet. We did have movement on the X, but it would fault out. That's what I expected without the encoder providing feedback. However the Z was always in a fault state. Never took the time to look into it as there was lots of other stuff to work on and I am not sure of the BOB configuration.

The limit switches are configured and working. I think that was it so far.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 11:56:38 PM by Budget Machine Tool »
« Reply #86 on: November 17, 2015, 06:57:23 PM »
I haven't given up I have just been busy working on it. One thing I didn't mention is that I just had back surgery 8 weeks ago so I am moving really slow at the moment. I have had a helper some days as I can't lift anything over 10 Lbs. and I can't bend over at all as of yet.

That aside, I have had the CNC attachment running and performing pretty good. The Dugong drives have proven to be somewhat of a pain to tune. I have them close, but they still need some fine tuning to perform to the best of there ability. On Sunday we got the panel mounted on the machine and the transformers put back in. Now I need to rewire every thing and hook up the stuff that I have not gotten to yet. So Up till now the panel was laying on it's back on a bench next to the lathe so I was a good work height for someone that can't bend over. Now that it is mounted working in it is more difficult for me, but I plan to keep chipping away at it.

I decided to buy some used touch screen monitors. One for this project and one for my Bridgeport that I plan to do next. I hope to see them by next week along with 2 new PC's.  
« Reply #87 on: November 24, 2015, 08:19:22 PM »
Made chips for the first time today. Still have some quirks to work out, but it seems like I am getting close.

Question to anyone that may be able to help....
For some reason I get a limit switch fault in Mach 80% of the time when I try to energize the spindle. I am using the CNC4PC C32 BOB and a smooth stepper. I am using the 2 on board relays to pull in the motor contactors with 110VAC. One for M03 and the other for M04.The contactors will always pull in, but sometimes it is only momentarily and I will get the limit switch fault in Mach. Same result using Mach manual control or with M03/M04 programing. Nothing else is any place close to a limit switch. Could this be a shielding thing? It is the only 110VAC control that I have Mach doing at this point. Other times it works just as I think it should????

Russ,

How detailed would you like the pictures of the CNC attachment to be? I don't have all the covers buttoned back up yet so if you are interested in close up's of all the components I would be willing to take whatever you would like. Would you like them posted hear, emailed direct, or a link to photo bucket post? Let me know what you would like and I will get them to you.

Hood,

You still around? 

Offline mc

•  382 382
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 25, 2015, 04:57:39 AM »
Sounds like a noise issue, which is always a risk when using 5VDC for controls.

Have you wired everything with shielded cables, and making sure all the earths come back to a single central point with no earth loops?
You could try increasing the limit switch debounce setting, however that is really just a sticking plaster solution.
« Reply #89 on: November 25, 2015, 07:26:34 AM »
Just a few pics of the axis' motor / screw mountings.
Several if you will, don't have to be over 1 meg each.
Enough detail to aid ind duplicating .. maybe to a slightly smaller scale.

Check your PM's for address.

Thanks a bunch,
Russ