Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:24:58 AM

Author Topic: YAM-550 lathe retrofit  (Read 75706 times)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: YAM-550 lathe retrofit
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2011, 03:22:52 AM »
I would think your drives are liekley analogue, in other words they take +-10v rather than Step/Dir but if you could find a make/model then maybe some info could be found.

Regards the two screens, Yes and No is the answer. Mach does not support two screen setup (maybe it will in Rev4) but you could quite easily make up a screenset that is double the width and use the options in Windows to have both screens as one extended screen.

Hood
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2011, 09:20:01 AM »
Hood, I bet that you are right about the drives. I'll have a look later to see if there is any info on them.

The screen thing, could you turn a wide screen sideways? Can the images be rotated?
It may not be rocket science, but try to send a man to the moon with out a machinist.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2011, 12:44:54 PM »
Not sure what ypou are meaning regards the widescreen turning. Usually you can do that in your graphics card software, ie have it so it rotates the screen so that for example word docs tend to fit better as its more the shape of a bit of paper.
If you are meaning rotate things in Mach like toolpath and G Code window then no.
Hood
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2011, 02:42:47 PM »
Thats more or less what I meant. Turn the wide screen on its edge and put the Mach GUI on top leaving the bottom part open to run another window containing the virtual buttons. I assume that Mach supports input of that type. As I have just downloaded the software I haven't had a chance to play around with to figure out all that it can do and what it wont.   
It may not be rocket science, but try to send a man to the moon with out a machinist.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2011, 03:08:09 PM »
I think you would really need to make a new screen so it fits properly, it would look rather odd if not.
Hood
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2011, 03:50:42 PM »
Today was the first day that I have really worked on the machine. So for Ive got all the covers removed and checked out the X/Z axis movements. All seem good so far in the mechanical department. Movement are smooth and tight with no backlash problems. Ran the oil cooler unit and it was fine. Ran the spindle CCW and CW and every looks good and sounds great.

Started gutting the Anilam control cabinet all the way down. Removed every thing from the back plane except the components from the servo power supply and a 24 VDC power supply. The servo supply was set up to run on 220VAC (I will convert it to 220VAC later) so I put power to it and checked the output. It is putting out 110VDC at the cap. Not sure that is what it was supposed to be as the servos are rated at 142VDC, but I know that sometimes they dont run them at there full rated voltage. Any thoughts on this?

Now that every thing is apart and checked out it's time do do some clean up work and chasing down wires in the machine. Mose of the OE wiring will probable be re used as it looks to be pretty nice stuff.   
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2011, 03:57:04 PM »
Some more.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2011, 03:59:14 PM »
Nice chunky looking lathe :)
I just about bought one of these bolt on kits a while back but my lathe turned up just in time so didnt go for it, still half regret it as it would have been handy to chuck on the Triumph.

The 110v is very common, that and 90V, think its just that they dont need full speed from the motor so they use the lower vooltage than the motors rating. My Beaver mill had 140 or 160v motors but they were fed 90v from the amps.
Hood
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2011, 04:06:00 PM »
and more
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2011, 04:16:57 PM »
I liked the looks of the machine when I saw it in a auction preview, so I went to look at in person. I took a tool bag along in the off chance that they would let me pull the covers to get a look at the ball screws, ect. They had no problems with that, so I knew it was pretty good before I started biding.

Won the lathe for $301.00 and couldn't have been more pleased with the price. Once I got it out in the day light is when I started to notice just how well it was built. It is a Maniham (spelling?) casting and the YAM iron has a pretty good rep. As far as the Anilam CNC attachment all I can say is I'm impressed. Love they way they put it together and it's more than solid.

Did you notice the 2 speed gear box on the tail stock? The quill has a Std. and a rapid speed. Sure love the thought of that, but don't know how much I will use it on a CNC lathe.