Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:16:41 AM

Author Topic: YAM-550 lathe retrofit  (Read 75705 times)

Re: YAM-550 lathe retrofit
« Reply #70 on: March 17, 2011, 09:09:25 PM »
cmm3
It may not be rocket science, but try to send a man to the moon with out a machinist.
« Reply #71 on: March 17, 2011, 09:11:00 PM »
The progress on the Yam back plane.
It may not be rocket science, but try to send a man to the moon with out a machinist.
« Reply #72 on: March 17, 2011, 09:23:27 PM »
Took forever, but I finally got them to go. Worked out much better after I gave in and resized them.

I decided to play around with the Opto 22 option first. I had all the stuff sitting in front of me and thought what the hell. May wind up saving some money that way or maybe not. At least they are something I have worked with a lot in the in the past.

Still not sure about the OEM panel or this other one I have. The OEM is like the one in the pictures of the lathe that is like mine (white one). I'll post pictures of the other one that I'm considering in a day or so. Also had the question, is there any harm putting the power supplies and transformers in a remote location? Like a second panel just or them or the tail foot of the lathe? Or, is it a good idea to keep the servo amps as close as you can to the transformer?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 18, 2011, 05:19:01 AM »
Thats a beast, like the positioning of it too ;D

Hood

Offline Tr_G

•  10 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 01, 2014, 08:06:29 PM »
Just came across a Yam 550 CNC myself. I would like to know how this retrofit came out. I need to change out the encoders on my machine and would like to know how the Digi-Key P/N: 102-1308-ND encoders you used are working and what did you use for a spindle encoder?

Maybe you have some suggestions for me before I make a bad purchase.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 02, 2014, 04:56:08 AM »
What kind of state are the electronics in on the lathe? If the drives and motors are good you may want to look at some of the controllers that can output +/- 10v control signal.
The 3 main ones are
CSMIO/IP-A
DSPMC
Kflop with Kanalog.

Hood

Offline Tr_G

•  10 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 02, 2014, 09:37:56 AM »
The drives and servos are working. I was looking at using DSPMC because I have used it before but I think the encoders are single ended so I will have to get some differential encoders for the DSPMC to work.

Does Kflop with Kanalog use single ended encoders? If it will and I went with Kflop with Kanalog I would need to find out the wiring on the encoders.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 02, 2014, 09:43:32 AM »
Unless you are good at C ((or whatever language the Kflop uses) then I would say you should not bother with it. I have never used one but looked at them quite a few times and to set up anything more than a very basic machine you would need to do a lot of the coding yourself, or get someone to do it. Probably not that hard to learn if determined but its not for me.

I went with the CSMIO/IP-A and  its the best controller I have used with Mach.

If you are comfortable with the DSPMC then maybe that should be your choice.
Regarding differential signals, just get ( or make)  line drivers, cheap enough either way.
Hood

Offline mc

•  382 382
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 02, 2014, 04:01:17 PM »
KFlop will work with single ended encoders, however I'm pretty sure the Kanalog requires a differential input as it has differential receivers which are then routed through to the KFlop single ended inputs.

If you've got some experience of programming, the amount needed for a KFlop isn't that much, as there are plenty examples included which you can cut and paste/adjust to suit.

Offline Tr_G

•  10 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 20, 2014, 09:09:35 PM »
I've been working on the control cabinets and a new paint job on the YAM 550 but I am almost finished and it's time for me to start thinking about the control to purchase.

I have been reading up on KFLOP and I think I could manage getting it to work for me but I'm also looking at the ethernet smooth stepper and some new drives DG4S-16035 for the SEM motors. If anyone has an opinion on which would be the better setup I would like to hear it.