Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 01:48:23 PM

Author Topic: YAM-550 lathe retrofit  (Read 75717 times)

Re: YAM-550 lathe retrofit
« Reply #60 on: February 28, 2011, 10:23:03 PM »
He had every thing that I thought I wanted to use and is well thought of so I couldn't think of a better guy to but from. You'll notice my other post on the Bridgeport CNC and again he has all the goodies that I think I want for that machine too. I plan on keeping them as similar as possible, so that I could rob Peter to make parts with Paul if it ever came down to it. Can't wait to get the goods in my hands. I have been thinking about this for so long it will be nice to touch some new hardware.   
It may not be rocket science, but try to send a man to the moon with out a machinist.
« Reply #61 on: March 02, 2011, 10:30:38 PM »
The PLC talks over ModBus to Mach, it means you just have one cable from the PLC to the computers serial port and all communication goes via that. I use the DL06 PLC from Automation Direct. I use the D0-06DR model which has relay outputs.

Hood
Hey hood, if I were to go this direction would you be willing to work with me on it? I have worked with PLC's lots in the past, but as stand alone units running on there one ladder logic programs. This PLC linked to get give info and get info from Mach would be totally new to me. I'm sure that it's the better way to go, but I'm shying away from it as I have no experience with it.
It may not be rocket science, but try to send a man to the moon with out a machinist.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 03, 2011, 07:28:58 AM »
Yes no probs. I dont really know much about ModBUS but I know about the serial version in Mach and how to set that up with a DL06 PLC, so if you have that no probs :)
The Modbus plugin I know nothing about, I never used it as to me its not so handy as you cant use VB with it as far as I know and no one has been able to say what benefits it has over using the old interface,I can only see its actually not as handy.
Hood
« Reply #63 on: March 11, 2011, 07:19:56 PM »
Well Iv'e been in and out of the shop lately, but I got the parts from CNC4PC and have started working on mounting boards and drives. It's hard to figure out how to cram all the crap in the original space. I'm starting to think about redoing the control cabinet. The OEM cabinet is in good condition, but it will be really packed when every thing is in it and it takes up floor space. If I mount a panel an the back of the lathe I could put all the power supplies and such back there. Then put all the other stuff in another panel and mount it on a arm that would swing out for ease of use and back out of the way when not. All good ideas, but I wasn't planing on putting that kind of time into this machine.

Also, I have been working on some of the basic wiring and have found the RJ45 connectors to be really annoying. I only went that way because the drives I planed to use had them for the Step/dir. and encoder input. Now I'm thinking of going with the C23 board instead. It probably wouldn't be so annoying to me if I wasn't so use to industrial wiring. I keep trying to do things the way I normally would and then go, oh ya that thing.

I will try to update with some pictures latter today or on Sat. as well as the pictures of the CMM that I keep forgetting to post.

The CMM specs.
Machine overall size: 120"w x 78"d x 132" t
Capacity: X=97" Y=48" Z=60"

Wait until you see the ceiling in the room. I'm sure you will get a laugh out of it. Picts. soon. 

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 16, 2011, 09:18:33 AM »
I think we have waited long enough, get your arse in gear and post these pics ;D

Not keen on RJ connectors myself.

Hood
« Reply #65 on: March 17, 2011, 07:58:01 PM »
Hay, quit checking out my arse. I know, I know, I'm running a little behind. I got caught up in other things. Sorry. With out further delay hear they are. The CMM First.  I had packed up most of my stuff already, but that is a twin size mattress sitting on it. Remember, thats my bed when I'm at the shop.
« Reply #66 on: March 17, 2011, 08:09:41 PM »
I' trying to up load them, but the site won't let me do it at the moment.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 17, 2011, 08:17:55 PM »
I' trying to up load them, but the site won't let me do it at the moment.

Yeh yeh, whats the next excuse going to be ;D

Hood
« Reply #68 on: March 17, 2011, 08:49:45 PM »
cmm
« Reply #69 on: March 17, 2011, 08:50:24 PM »
cmm2