Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 09:40:57 AM

Author Topic: YAM-550 lathe retrofit  (Read 76126 times)

Re: YAM-550 lathe retrofit
« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2011, 09:25:35 PM »
Almost forgot, that is a tool cart (crap catcher) blocking the isle in the other pictures.

The next isle. Roll away tool box on the right looking at the back of the DoAll with the Southbend on the end. Left side Lathe tooling in the tall cabinet 10ee on the end. Looking the other way down the same isle on the right is the CW lathe (CNC AhHa conversion). Parked in front of that with crap leaning against it is the Dust Cop dust collector. On the end is cabinets with all the drills, taps, e-mills, reamers, plug gages, ect. To the left of that is the Bridgeport manual mill (note the Tree head on it). Left of that is the milling tool cabinet and through the door is the office/inspection area. You know the CMM I call a bed.

Looking down that isle you see the Johnson model J horz band saw and the Hurco CNC on the left. Note the crap catcher cart in the way. on the end is the grinding/ band saw cabinet.

The other side of the same isle from the same end. the Hurco and Bridgeport CNC's and the Reid 618H on the end.
It may not be rocket science, but try to send a man to the moon with out a machinist.
« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2011, 09:30:34 PM »
I forgot to attach the one that is the middle picture.
It may not be rocket science, but try to send a man to the moon with out a machinist.
« Reply #52 on: February 24, 2011, 09:35:45 PM »
Looking in from the welding area.
« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2011, 09:52:34 PM »
Last ones tonight. Looking into the welding area. The YAM is sitting in the place that would normally have the welding table and 2 welders in it. The Fridge is on it's way out and behind that is the blast cabinet. To the right side is the oven (powder coating and curing glue for brake pads that I make) the oven is sitting on the 6000# cap. platform shipping scale. In front of that is the welding table and sheet metal brake.  There is a double door that you cant see on the right and left. One set goes out side and the other set to the office area. The top above the door is removable all the way to the ceiling to allow the fork lifts room to come in and out. Then there is drawers   and cabinets with hardware ect.
I still get work out of the shop even with the disaster, but it takes 10 times longer when I have to move things to use a machine. I'm workin on the clean up, it's just gona take some time.

I'll post the office and inspection area latter. Bet you don't feel bad at all now Hood.
« Reply #54 on: February 24, 2011, 11:17:32 PM »
JEESH ..... I now feel as though I have a Boley lathe in the middle of Ford Field !  ;D
I respectfully bow out of the competition.
I believe I have room for more machinery now.
Regards,
Russ  :)
« Reply #55 on: February 24, 2011, 11:30:19 PM »
Great, I dig it !
Didn't see it mentioned, do you have a turret for it ?
Most of the slants I've seen use one, or just a tool post.
The flat x axis type allow longer travel and better accommodate gang type tooling.
Not sure which I'll go with yet.
The more pics, the better, especially with the covers off !
Anxious to see the progression on this one.
Nice machine, just my size. :)
Thanks,
Russ
% (it's become a habit ;) )

No I don't have a turret for it. I plan to try to fit one to it at some point, but I'm just going with the tool post for now. It will be a week or so before I can get it spun around to take some pictures of the back side, but I'll post them as soon as I can.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 25, 2011, 05:29:30 AM »
Well I am afraid you are too tidy, your lack of room is obvious but your tidyness is as well :)
My last workshop was a 12 x 19 fibreglass hut and the shape was much better for things as you could have storage in the centre, or even small machines, the long narrow workshop I have now is great but the shape is a PITA. Having said that my last workshop was a mess as well so it goes to prove I am just untidy ;D
Hood
« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2011, 08:50:05 AM »
I am about to retrofit a similar sized manual lathe, a 14x40 gear head import.   I retrofitted a bridgeport factory cnc, a V2E3 a while back using the original SEM servos and dugong drives.   That machine has worked flawlessly.    Your sem servo's are the smaller brother to the ones I have.   I believe you will be extremely happy with their performance.    On the bridgeport, the servo voltage rating is the same and the factory voltage was 125V, I used the original supply.    With 5 pitch ballscrews, 2:1 belt drive the mill does 250 ipm.   I upgraded the encoders to the AMD capacitive units (cheap and high res) which may not be a bad idea for you also.

« Reply #58 on: February 28, 2011, 08:18:19 PM »
Sparky, thanks for joining in. I plan to upgrade the encoders to Digi-Key P/N: 102-1308-ND at a cost of $24.00 each I thought they looked like a good choice.

To all that are following along, I just finished ordering the parts from Arturo @CNC4PC. He has been great to work with through the planning stages. I get prompt responses to my emails and believe that indicates good customer service even after the sale. I originally chose CNC4PC because I liked the product options that they offered and I wanted to keep as many of the components with one supplier as possible. I felt that this would make tec. support simpler as well as replacement parts in the future.

I'll let ever one know when I have goodies in my hand. I can hardly wait.      
« Reply #59 on: February 28, 2011, 08:25:06 PM »
You are right about Arturo at cnc4pc,  he gets very high marks.    I will be ordering goodies from him again soon.