Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 03:27:56 PM

Author Topic: YAM-550 lathe retrofit  (Read 76172 times)

Re: YAM-550 lathe retrofit
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2011, 02:46:07 PM »
 ;D

Hey, about the YAM, is that x,z assy clamped semi-perm to the original ways ?
Can you easily reposition it anywher you wish along the z axis ?
It is not powered is it ?
Might do something similar here with an older Hardinge.
Thanks

« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 02:49:46 PM by Overloaded »
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2011, 03:42:34 PM »
You are right on the money. It is a clamp on Assy. It can be moved if needed, but it has 2 taper pins holding it in it's current position. I have not checked to see if it is tram or not as I havnt leveled the machine yet. To move it all that would be needed is to pull the pins, loosen the clamping bolts and slide it down the ways.

I really like the way it is designed. It is a totally bolt on item. There is a junction box on the back with all connections done in one place. Motors, encodes, auto oiler, every thing. It all connects to the control cabinet with 1 section of seal tight with a 60 pin canon plug on each end. I'll try to spin the machine around and take a few photos.

It even has covers that bolt on to the unit. the front one is hinged with a large window and a water proof florescent machine light inside. Now how could you not like that?   
It may not be rocket science, but try to send a man to the moon with out a machinist.
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2011, 04:07:24 PM »
Great, I dig it !
Didn't see it mentioned, do you have a turret for it ?
Most of the slants I've seen use one, or just a tool post.
The flat x axis type allow longer travel and better accommodate gang type tooling.
Not sure which I'll go with yet.
The more pics, the better, especially with the covers off !
Anxious to see the progression on this one.
Nice machine, just my size. :)
Thanks,
Russ
% (it's become a habit ;) )

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2011, 05:30:29 PM »
Sounds like you are in a tight sport as well,and at least our temprature is on the rise now, dont have heat in the workshop at all and its been a cool winter, was down to -16degC around about Christmas/New year.

In my workshop the  main storage space is the floor as there is no where else ;D

Heres a couple of pics before I did some rearranging, took me 3 weeks to get the place moved around and tidied but afraid its almost as bad again :(

Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2011, 05:33:18 PM »
This was it after 3 weeks, built a partition to split the welding part in half so that the Beaver was not getting covered in grinding dust and my desk is also now in the middle part opposite the Beaver mill.
Hood

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2011, 05:40:23 PM »
Really proud of ya Hood on the clean up as the way it was before could never pass our shop inspection.
HMM......but now the poor puppy dosen't know where his laydown spot is any more.  :D
RICH

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2011, 05:46:19 PM »
Afraid it wont pass now then, its almost as bad, just been too bloody cold to get any enthuseasm to stay late to try and get a start on tidying.
Dogs never happy unless he has a pile of swarf to lie down in, and yes I am being serious he prefers swarf to soft materials ::)

Hood
« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2011, 06:17:40 PM »
Ho Hood, you sure know how to make a guy feel better. I would be so at home in your shop. I thought that my shop was the only one to look this way. Just to prove it I'll be brave and post some pictures of the damage latter tonight. I wouldn't want you to be all alone on this one as I did start the post. That just wouldn't be fair.

One of my biggest problems is time. The economy in Michigan has gone in the tank so I decided to move. Well, sort of any way. I rented my house (but not the building that houses the shop) and moved the family to Kentucky (6 hour drive) ware the economy is better.  So now I come back to the shop for about 1 week a month. Problem with that is I work 40 hours or more of my week for my former employer. That just leaves me with the nights and 2 or 3 full days to do every thing that needs to be done in the shop.

The last trip to the shop I moved every thing around to get the Bridgeport moved in. The rest of the week I worked 9am to 5pm, plus 1 hour drive each way. Then when I got the the shop I ate and started cranking out parts some nights until 1am. I got all the jobs out in the one week, but had no time to do any thing but that.

Now how many guys do you know that spend a week a month sleeping on a CMM? For that matter how many CMM's do you know of that are that big? I'll post a picture of it as that is one machine that I am real proud of. I wish I had the money for something newer and about half the size as space is tight, but it sure is impressive when you walk in and see it.
It may not be rocket science, but try to send a man to the moon with out a machinist.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2011, 06:48:10 PM »
Looking forward to the pics :)
 I am an untidy person by nature I am afraid, think about tidying then pick up something and quickly forget, anything rather than tidy ;D It gets to a stage however that its getting dangerous so I have to bite the bullet and shut off the brain (what there is of it) and get stuck into the tidying.
Hood
« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2011, 09:06:24 PM »
Ok hear we go. Looking down on isle on the right is a 1927 Southbend 18x120. Has the tool post grinder on it right now ( How about the size of that thing). On the left is the DoAll 36" vert. band saw. On the end is the 10ee Monarch.